PDA

View Full Version : Best die for rcbs lam2

wtfooptimax200
12-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Is there a noticeable difference between the Lyman and rcbs dies when used in the lube a matic 2? Does anyone make aftermarket dies that are better and/or cheaper than factory counterparts?

RobS
12-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Both RCBS and Lyman size/lube dies are about the same regards to fit for the LAM II lubricator. I prefer Lyman dies for rifle and RCBS dies I use more for handgun boolits or for booits that I use plain base checks on due to wider mouth entry of the die. The RCBS dies seem to work better for me on single lube groove boolits. There are a few people here on the forum who will make odd ball size dies that are not made by the big manufacturers which are around the same cost or a touch more.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
I totally agree with RobS, I have an RCBS LAM2 and find the RCBS dies to work very slightly better, however, the are 2 very distinct advantages to the lyman dies; 1) they come in more sizes, and; 2) the plunger inside the die is slightly concave so that boolits with an imperfect sprue will not feed at an angle (this is the clincher for me)

RobS
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I totally agree with RobS, I have an RCBS LAM2 and find the RCBS dies to work very slightly better, however, the are 2 very distinct advantages to the lyman dies; 1) they come in more sizes, and; 2) the plunger inside the die is slightly concave so that boolits with an imperfect sprue will not feed at an angle (this is the clincher for me)

The concave part of the plunger is a good point. I have taken out from time to time the plunger of my Lyman dies and have put them in my RCBS dies.

Irascible
01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I had one problem with an RCBS die, a .452. For some reason there was a groove around the inside joining the lube holes. This would grab a gas check and pull it partialy off the bullet. I replaced it with a new Lyman. I have had no other problems with RCBS sizer dies.