PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable sites for a colt 1991

lylejb
12-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I have a colt 1991, a full size mil-spec 1911, and am looking for adjustable sites. Most sites seem to be made for "novac" or some other "cut" and not for the actual Colt slide.

I've seen lots of fixed, usually not much different than what I have, I've seen night sites, 3 dot, tall sites, short sites, white sites and orange sites, but as of yet, no adjustable sights that don't require a milling machine.

Does anyone know of/ where to get adjustable sites that fit the factory slot?

It's hard for me to believe that NOBODY makes adjustable sites for a genuine Colt.

Thanks

MtGun44
12-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Go to Brownell's web SITE and look for 1911 SIGHTS. They have lots
of adjustable sights of various kinds. Essentially guaranteed to need
a new, taller front sight also.

Bill

bruce drake
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/182643/lpa-spr-sight-set-1911-government-with-narrow-tenon-front-sight-steel-3-dot

Order the TPU model and you don't need to replace the front sight and it will fit the rear Govt. Model rear sight cut.

Bruce

MtGun44
12-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Bruce,

It is a very rare adjustable 1911 sight that can work with the stock front sight. Good
find!

Bill

ReloaderFred
12-29-2012, 10:01 PM
I've put LPA (formerly MecGar) rear sights on about a dozen of my previously fixed sight pistols. They sometimes stand a little tall on the slide, but give a great sight picture and lots of adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rlb
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Speaking of 1911 rear sights, can anyone tell me what cut was used on the Taurus versions?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

Thanks.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Every adjustable sight I ever put on a 1911, shot the screws out of it. Screws you do not have on hand. Screws that are impossible to find in the dirt and grass. I went back to the JB fixed sights, and wasn't shy about filing on the pretty front sight to get it where I need them.
I know you probably want to test different loads and want to adjust, but be sure to keep lots of locktite on the screws, don't trust it, and check often.

lylejb
12-30-2012, 12:02 AM
THANK YOU!

I had been to midway, but somehow missed that.

Now, two weeks backorder.......... hope that really turn out that way.