PDA

View Full Version : SC Ideal 319273 mold.

K-Rod
12-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Got a friend who found one of these in his Father's garage. He asked me about it but being a Newbie to casting, I haven't found out much other then its a Schutzen boolit. I figure what better place to ask then IMO the experts. Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks

Bent Ramrod
12-29-2012, 04:39 PM
The 319273 was the Hudson bullet for the .32-40. It was breech seated in the barrel ahead of the case mouth for use with smokeless powder. The leade of the barrel had to be specially reamed to fit this bullet as it was designed to seal at the base and be engraved slightly by the grooves. The first three bands were supposed to be 0.316" diameter and the last two 0.323".

The idea was that the "new" smokeless powder had its advantages, but it did not upset cast boolits like black powder. So a mechanical seal for the powder gases was necessary if the maximum accuracy was desired.

The 319289 was, as I recall, a variant of the 319273 made with smaller front bands so the leade reaming wasn't necessary.

runfiverun
12-29-2012, 09:54 PM
look for Dr, Manns book the bullet in flight it should be out there to be read for free on the web.
it's from about 1900-1909
he goes into a lot of detail of how these boolits were seated,their design, how they fit the barell, what to look for and some of the loads used.

K-Rod
12-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks guys.This mold is more or less obsolete then? It sure is a strange looking boolit. There was an Ideal 257418 in the same box with it. My buddy is not sure where his father got them but they seem to be in decent shape.

Green Frog
12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys.This mold is more or less obsolete then? It sure is a strange looking boolit. There was an Ideal 257418 in the same box with it. My buddy is not sure where his father got them but they seem to be in decent shape.

You might go over to the ASSRA website (American Single Shot Rifle Association) and mention you have it... I would expect a feeding frenzy to ensue. I've seen them go for well North of $200 on flea-Bay. Just a thought...

Froggie

K-Rod
12-31-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks Green Frog. I'll tell him that. He has no use for them & I think he wouldn't mind selling either one.