PDA

View Full Version : Glenfield Bolt Shotgun Cut Down

EMC45
12-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I was given a Glenfield 12ga bolt a few years back by a buddy. GIVEN. It was equipped with a 28in. Full choke barrel. That kind of limited it to certain things. Didn't shoot buck or slug very well and it shot birdshot ok. It has the 2 shot drop box magazine to limit 3 shots full capacity. I know these guns served years as first guns, barn guns or behind-the-door guns and served well at that. It has sat at my Dad's house for about 3 years in a closet collecting dust. I had to do something with this gun! I am not a looker or collector. I am a shooter. I use my gear and know this gun was well put together and would do what it needed to do if called on.....I cut the barrel off at 20in. Funny how a new hacksaw blade will melt through barrel steel so easily...... I also was given a PolyChoke from a member on THR and plan to install it. Here she is.....http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/100_3780.jpg

EMC45
12-29-2012, 01:04 PM
The gun swings much better now and is a bit better balanced. I have access to a lathe and can thread the muzzle end to screw on the choke. I would index to line up the sight and then solder. I have a good bit of barrel stub to practice thread cutting on. My question is this.........The choke is almost a slip fit now. I can thread, screw on and then solder, or........I can removes some of the threads to truly get a slip fit and then solder the beast on and call it a day. Threading requires I go to my wife's uncle's (who is super cool and would graciously open his shop for me), but just soldering means I can do it here at the house and be done with it. The barrel at muzzle end now is .840-841 diameter. I would not have to reduce it to much to thread it. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Evan

Buckshot
12-31-2012, 04:15 AM
..........Evan, that's pretty neat. I can't answer your questions, but your post reminded me that a buddy has a Stevens clip fed bolt action shotgun he'd offered to me a few years back. Like I don't have any other projects :-) My idea was to get a fast(er) twist (38" - 48" vs common 72") .58 cal barrel, and chamber it to use the Mag-Tech 24 ga brass shotgun hulls and make myself a bolt action 577 Snider :-) Even cut back to 2" and with a slug in place they'll hold about 90.0grs of 2FG. Or use 24ga shotgun data under a 425gr slug. Good luck with your project!

............Buckshot

EMC45
12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Shot this beast today with some handloaded shotshells. Universal shells are junk and will not load anymore until I perfect a rollcrimp system. The paper hulls did ok and the STS Remingtons did superb. The Winchester factory slugs fed and ejected just fine. They kicked smartly too. Have not fit the choke yet. Just shooting these through a cylinder bore.

No_1
12-31-2012, 06:04 PM
My question is this.........The choke is almost a slip fit now. I can thread, screw on and then solder, or........I can removes some of the threads to truly get a slip fit and then solder the beast on and call it a day.

I would adjust the setup for a tight slip fit then epoxy the choke on. Get the fit right then wrap the barrel right at the choke / barrel junction with some masking tape so when you put it together you can easily clean the excess off. Simple as pie and fast :)

Awsar
12-31-2012, 08:42 PM
yes you can solder it on the brownells high force 44 works great ive used it many times .
also alot of old bolt shot guns had a problem with firing without pulling the trigger may want to check unload cycle bolt(make sure its unloaded) bang butt on ground if it fires then you know.ive seen so many that would fire with a bump to the stock.
good luck

EMC45
01-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the advice/info guys. This gun saw very little use in it's lifetime. I will take it down and examine the bolt/sear/trigger group. It seems tight and works well. It will make a nice loner gun.

EMC45
01-01-2013, 11:01 AM
..........Evan, that's pretty neat. I can't answer your questions, but your post reminded me that a buddy has a Stevens clip fed bolt action shotgun he'd offered to me a few years back. Like I don't have any other projects :-) My idea was to get a fast(er) twist (38" - 48" vs common 72") .58 cal barrel, and chamber it to use the Mag-Tech 24 ga brass shotgun hulls and make myself a bolt action 577 Snider :-) Even cut back to 2" and with a slug in place they'll hold about 90.0grs of 2FG. Or use 24ga shotgun data under a 425gr slug. Good luck with your project!

............Buckshot

I too have thought this Buckshot, but with a .410. Get an old tube fed .410 and take the barrel off and set it up with a .429 octagon barrel. Set some sights and have a nice .44 special cast gun. Of course threading, reaming and all the other.

Milsurp Junkie
01-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I have thought about doing this myself, but with 45 long colt on a 410 bolt action shotgun. The pressures on 45 long colt are in line with 410, I would be leery of a 44 mag/44 special pressures though (unless sticking to 14,000 psi range as a max). I could never get the feeding correct on the gun, and left it as a 410.

Milsurp Junkie

richhodg66
01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Marlin made that action for about a million years. I have a model 512 slug gun and it is very robust and strong. Price was right on that one, if it groups well with slugs, you may want to leave the poly choke off and just mount some sights.

Truthfully, a reliable short barrelled shotgun is a good thing to have around, seems like there's always room for another one in the stable.

EMC45
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Marlin made that action for about a million years. I have a model 512 slug gun and it is very robust and strong. Price was right on that one, if it groups well with slugs, you may want to leave the poly choke off and just mount some sights.

Truthfully, a reliable short barrelled shotgun is a good thing to have around, seems like there's always room for another one in the stable.

I have thought this too. It seemed to shoot well. I have some beads and a ramp or two.

EMC45
01-05-2013, 09:44 PM
I am gonna go the Poly Choke route. I have a few shotguns that are set up for slugs as is. I will face the muzzle and reduce the od of it then sweat the choke on.

50BMG_AckleyImproved
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I too have thought this Buckshot, but with a .410. Get an old tube fed .410 and take the barrel off and set it up with a .429 octagon barrel. Set some sights and have a nice .44 special cast gun. Of course threading, reaming and all the other.

I've always wondered why the 410 wasn't the next evolution of the rifled barrel shotgun for deer hunting.