PDA

View Full Version : Shop Chair

sundog
07-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Anyone have a preference for a roll around, adjustable shop chair (not a desk chair) to use at the loading bench? Mine needs replacing, and I want one that is functional and comfortable. I spend a lot of time on my kiester at the bench, doncha know.

mazo kid
07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Back when I was still working, the offices used to move around a lot and a lot of good stuff was tossed. I retrieved a 5 leg desk chair from the dumpster, took the seat apart from the base, and welded about an 8" piece of 1-1/4 pipe onto the seat bottom and put it back together. Works good on my 36" high reloading bench, can move forward and back, side to side, etc. as needed. Emery

wills
07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
You might want something like a drafting chair
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/bizchair1_1952_733853947

Dale53
07-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I went to Staples and got a "drafting chair" similar to the one that Wills shows. I'm happy...

Dale53

shooter575
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I also have a couple of the drafting types chairs.My wife got them slightly used from work. Work great.

sundog
07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Wills pic is about what I have now. It's worn out and needs replacing. Looking for a good brand name. Years ago I just used a stool, but after I got the one I've worn out, the replacement will be as good or better!

EMC45
07-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I use a drafting chair of unknown vintage. No wheels, but still nice. My father in law was trying to yardsale it and couldn't get rid of it so I asked how much. Free it was. I had to re upholster it, but no big deal.

dmftoy1
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
For work I'm in a chair about 10-12 hours a day and I have to say that I've been pretty happy with one I bought last year at Staples . .it's entirely "mesh". (but looks similiar to the one's posted above) The only knock on it that I can come up with is that if you have a "thick" wallet it doesn't feel comfortable sitting on it. (takes a bit of getting used to) On the positive side, all the old cloth chairs I had got really hot in the middle of the summer. (I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to run the a/c unless it's absolutely necessary) With this chair you have airflow to your backside and back so it seems alot more comfortable.

Have a good one,
Dave

RayinNH
07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Thick wallet? We're shooters and casters. You're kidding right?...Ray

45nut
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
sunday paper coupons Ray.....

Uncle Grinch
07-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Being a retired telephone man, I happened upon an old operator chair that was used on the old cord boards. It must be 40 years old, but the fabric is still good. Had to re-weld the seat frame from many years of swivel abuse. Been using it over 15 years now.

Rick N Bama
07-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Being a retired telephone man, I happened upon an old operator chair that was used on the old cord boards.

Cord boards were still in use 40 years ago? I've seen 1 in my time which was being used by Uncle Sam in Viet Nam. When I went to work for Bell we had Crossbar & Step offices around here.

Rick

kodiak1
07-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I use the portable secretaries style chair. Guess it would be a desk chair with casters, pivots, rolls works very well for me. Will also set off a primer if you should loose one on the floor and roll over it, but it only startles you for a minute and then the wife is there to see what the he!! you are blowing up.
Ken

Uncle Grinch
07-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Cord boards were still in use 40 years ago? I've seen 1 in my time which was being used by Uncle Sam in Viet Nam. When I went to work for Bell we had Crossbar & Step offices around here.

Rick

Rick,

We actually had a 3-CL cord board installed in Macon ,GA in 1976 to handle the end offices (mostly independents) who were'nt able to switch to the TSPS or 4A switch.

dmftoy1
07-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Well I wish my thick wallet was caused by cash . . .heck, I've got an NRA Card, a FOID card, the wife's credit card, my credit card, and insurance card (car), and insurance card (health), etc etc etc. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

jawjaboy
07-07-2007, 03:22 PM
If there is a Habitat for Humanity store in your area, check there for chairs. Our local store gets them in pretty regularly. I paid $5 for my like new condition reloading chair from there.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000162.jpg

Bret4207
07-08-2007, 08:48 AM
If there is a Habitat for Humanity store in your area, check there for chairs. Our local store gets them in pretty regularly. I paid $5 for my like new condition reloading chair from there.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000162.jpg

Man, that bench is WAY too neat! You cleaned it up before you took the pic didncha?

I use a bar stool. Why do I own my own barstool? You need to ask?

LAH
07-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Man, that bench is WAY too neat!

Does upset your stomach

7BRU
07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I wish i had a clean reloading bench like that. got to work on that. rolling drafting chair is what i use .

BRU

jawjaboy
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
It don't always look like that. Trust me! ;)

7BRU
07-08-2007, 03:59 PM
i hear ya on that. ain't nobody getting a pic of my room.

BRU

Rick N Bama
07-08-2007, 05:05 PM
It don't always look like that. Trust me! ;)

I can get my bench cleaned up & 1 loading session later it's back to being messy, as God intended for loading benches to be:)

Rick

HollandNut
07-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Been lurking here for a long while and finally signed up a few days ago ...
Drafting chair was what I HAD till two months ago , when fire took out our house and all my STUFF ..
Be another drafting chair to replace it ..

jawjaboy
07-10-2007, 02:00 PM
OK OK, quit yer complaining ;) ...all you got to do is come get you one. Stopped by the Habitat store this morning, they had 3 of these, $7 each. I asked, "3 for $20?" "Sure", they said. So they followed me home. If ya jes happen to be in my neck of the woods, I'll let 2 of 'em go. Fair enuf?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000275.jpg

Edit to add, and jes for show and tell, scored these on the same trip to town. All in all, just a good little adventure.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000274.jpg

Ricochet
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
You could try a chair like this:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/10/flying.lawn.chair.ap/index.html

HollandNut
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
HHHMM always looking to add to my plastic bucket collection ..

Depends on what side of Jawja RFD S. Jawja iz ..

jawjaboy
07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
HHHMM always looking to add to my plastic bucket collection ..

Depends on what side of Jawja RFD S. Jawja iz ..

Generally speaking, 'bout 35 miles north of the Florida line on I-75.

HollandNut
07-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Figgers , generally speakin I'm in Central Bamma , so a wee bit too far , sides I'm trying to explain the 500 pounds I got in ingots and the couple hundred waiting to be melted ..

snowtigger
07-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Not only do I cast and shoot, I have a riverboat. Just got it out of the shop today. I might be able to cast (I have about a ton of WW and sheet lead), but reloading is out of the question until payday.

PS: A kid in the parts dept told me BOAT was an acronym for " Break Out Another Thousand"
I didn't go that far this time, but it sure put a dent in my formerly thick wallet...LOL

Newtire
07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I use one of those swivel seat round top chairs like they have in a bar only it's one from an auto shop and has short legs. I can swivel around from the lead pot to the sprue box & then the water bucket & then back to the lead pot. Finally got some nylock locknuts to keep the things from always loosening up.

jdhenry
07-12-2007, 10:56 PM
I have to get me one of them soft chairs:) I have used a bar stool for 13 years and it kills my back. Off to the store I go:)

OldBob
07-20-2007, 07:48 AM
A few years ago I took the seats out of a Chevy van to turn it into a work van, they were in great condition, adjustable back, fold down arms, just too nice to throw away. I welded on a base and some casters and now I have a computer desk chair and a reloading bench chair so comfortable I can sleep in 'em ! Waste not, want not .........

sundog
08-01-2007, 03:19 PM
You fellers bantered this around purdy good. I finally got a chair. I opted for new, and a quality one at that. It's a Hon 7700 series, and it's quite comfortable. My old chair will get it's under seat frame welded, and then be used out in the barn, maybe at the casting bench. I got my new chair from eofficedirect.com and there was no tax or shipping and reduced price from list at that. They delivered it to the loading dock at my work, too!

I went ahead and got the arm kit, but then was afraid it would be in the way of the press, etc. No problemo.

Now I can spend hours at the bench in comfort.