PDA

View Full Version : Winchester primers having lower QC?

Dave C.
12-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I have used nothing but Winchester primers for many years and they have been excellent.
But the last 3 thousand WLP's that I bought have been hanging up in my primer feeds tubes.
This includes my Dillon 550 using all 10 tubes and my Lee hand priming tool.
And my Frankford Arsenal Vibra Prime tube filler.
When I switched. back to some older stock all was good again.
I hope this is not the new norm.

Dave C.

saint_iverson
12-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Do you visually see any difference between the primers?

Dave C.
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
The primers that hang up have an anvil that is not seated all the way and or the cup seems to be uneven in hight.
Not the uniform and smooth feeding that I buy them for.

Dave C.

Gtek
12-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Call them or write them- I purchased some 30 WCF brass about two years ago and it was junk. Left a stinky on Midway review. Was contacted by Midway rep and ask if I could be contacted by Winchester, I said you bet. Tact and diplomy have never been my strong points, but Winchester gave me shipping back and replaced with a little better product. Squeaky gear? I know it is a pain but they do not know if they are not told. Gtek

gutpile
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
We noticed this in their 209 primers 3 to 4 years ago........found out they were subcontracting 209 primer production to RIO in south america..........nasty dirty massive fouling on muzzleloader breechplugs and erratic performance on shotshells............ I will not buy anymore Winchester components.......we contacted them and they could have cared less.......Federal and CCI are good
I still have alot of OLD win primers once used up never again.......

Kraschenbirn
12-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Bought a couple 5M cartons of Winchester LR primers a couple months back and, since I started using these, I've been getting an occasional failure-to-fire in my .38-55 Highwall (maybe, 1 or 2 out of a 50-round box) but these always fire on a second drop of the hammer. Haven't yet cracked a fresh pack for inspection under a magnifier but, from your description, improperly seated anvils might easily be the source of my 'misfires' 'cause, before these, I'd been using Win. LRPs in my smokeless .38-55s with no problems.

Bill

Del-Ray
12-31-2012, 07:35 PM
I just tried to use some new WSP primers last week. In my LEE hand sweater they kept jamming. On inspection I could see the same issues. Pretty piss poor workmanship. I'll be calling them up wednesday and whining about it.

Gunnut 45/454
01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Great I bought 1000 209's a month back!! I sure hope I didn't get **** primers!:(