PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks on a non gc boolit

historicfirearms
12-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Ive got a problem 9mm pistol with an oversized groove diameter. I can't get a big enough boolit to reliably chamber so I'm getting leading. I think a gc might be my solution, problem is I don't currently have a suitable gas checked mold. So, here is the part where I start thinking...(dangerous, I know). I took some 375 gas checks out and they fit tightly on the base of my 9mm boolits sized .358. I then ran them back through the sizer to crimp the gas check on. They came out looking very useable, just a little convex shape to the gas check. They are crimped on very tightly and straight so I'm going to load these up and give them a try.

Goatwhiskers
12-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Anything's worth a try. You probably know that you can get a suitable chek maker and make them from very thin material such as pop or beer cans. I haven't done it yet as I'm into PP but I will soon just for the fun of it. GW

historicfirearms
12-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I know about the Pat Marlins PB checkmaker. It is actually what gave me the idea of trying the .375 checks. I've tried contacting Pat and got no response.

I had a chance to shoot my little experiments today and I was pleased. No leading in 20 rounds fired and accuracy was as good as J-words. I think I will make up some more with different weight boolits to see what the Beretta likes.

fcvan
12-29-2012, 08:35 PM
The are a number of us who have been stamping out plain based checks using PatMarlins CheckMakers. Pat has been busier than a one armed butt kicker in a paper hanging contest but his turn around times have improved immensely. At least it appears to be as such based on comments posted by other folks.

I have a couple of 9mm weapons that like fatter boolits and plain based checks are a good way to go. I size all of my 9mm to .358 and have done so since the mid 80s as that has been working well for me. Of late, I've been using PB checks on my 9mms and love the performance improvement. If you want to try some 35 PB checks send me a PM. I don't sell them but I do like to horse trade for boolits I don't mold or whatever trading stock you might have. After you try them you will certainly be picking up a tool of your own. Besides, making checks is part of the fun. Frank

beagle
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I've had excellent results using Pat's .35PB checks on my 9mms. No leading and better accuracy. That's all I load now./beagle

PatMarlin
01-09-2013, 06:07 PM
I wasn't getting messages from here due to a (new) system glitch. I believe they have it fixed now.

Contact me direct via email from my website.

There is info from customers on leading and 9mm with the problem solved by using PB checks, that can be found there as well.

Pat ...:drinks:

reloader28
01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I've also been putting PB pop/beer can checks on all 9mm's we're loading for. Works grea and you can play all thru the load scale min-max with no leading.

keebo52
01-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Reloader sent me some 35PB checks to try a while back. Used them and loved them. Bought a check maker from Pat and haven't looked back. I will not load 9mm without them. No leading and better accuracy.

RGMJ
01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
You can put a gas check groove on any plain base bullet.

All you need is a press mounted bullet puller like Hornady's or RCBS.

Using the .35 collet of the puller, insert the bottom driving band of the bullet into the collet fingers. Activate the puller and squeeze the bullet just enough so you can insert the gas check by hand. Then size the bullet in a Lee push thru sizer 0.356 to crimp the gas check.

I've been doing this many times with 9mm, 357 mag 44mag. It may be slow but I have no problems and the bullets shoot great.

Good luck!