PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for mold for 450/400 3" N.E. in a Ruger. No. 1

guninhand
12-29-2012, 12:08 AM
I want to shoot boolits up to 2000 fps. So far the only molds I have found that might be suitable are the NEI .411-350-GC #225A and the .412 inch 300 gr RN Lyman for .405 Winchester, which is not gas checked.

Does the NEI mold take Hornady gas checks, or will I need to make my own? If I go with the Lyman mold, what would be a realistic upper limit to speed given that I would be limited to using wads? (I have plenty linotype)

Purpose is mostly for fun but might go hunting.

Any other suitable non-custom molds out there? I've read of some using paper patch, but I have zero experience with them. TIA.

I'll Make Mine
12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
The short answer is yes. :kidding:

I've read about people pushing a correctly fitting non-GC boolit to 2000+ with the correct alloy (some folks are getting above 2500 with a copper-enhanced alloy, still without gas check); alternately, you could get a (custom) check maker for plain base gas checks that would let you use the mold you can find, or you could learn to paper patch. The learning curve for all three is similar. Alloying doesn't require any additional equipment, just learning how to get the copper dissolved or what non-copper alloy can do the job with what kind of fit; plain base gas checks can work with any mold or alloy and (if you use beverage can aluminum) are potentially cheaper even than copper alloy enhancement (though it takes a lot of boolits to pay for the check maker), and paper patching is darn near free except your time (though you'll need to size your boolits smaller than for the other methods, so may have to buy or make a push-through sizing die).

451whitworth
12-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I would look at Accurate Mold's 41-320C or 41-340J. Both gas checked and cut whatever diameter you want. a single cavity in alluminum is $75 and a two cavity is $89. these may be "custom" but they are not expensive and delivery is fast. Although i don't shoot a 450/400 NE i do shoot a 405WCF. I use a 350gr. LBT LFN gas checked @ .414". I use the .416 Hornady checks on them

guninhand
12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
That 41-340J looks like the perfect long range rock buster. I'll do a chamber cast before making a final choice. Thanks everyone.