PDA

View Full Version : Rossi M92 learning curve.

Pb2au
12-28-2012, 09:29 PM
So, as usual, my common sense flew the coup and I bought another rifle.
You might have guessed, I bought a new Rossi 92 with a 24" barrel in 45 colt. Now, the purpose of this thread is to share my impressions, what I have learned, and general performance of the rifle.

The fit up of the wood to steel is a B. There is a place where the stock mates to the tang/reciever that I feel is a less than awesome fit. On the other hand, the grain of the Brazilian mystery wood is pretty nice, with a flat finish. I'm currently laying the linseed oil to it.
I had an issue with extraction of cases from the chamber. Turned out that the extractor had a burr in the hook, and was also gritty. I removed it, cleaned up the burr, polished the whole thing and reinstalled it. Extraction function restored.

After reading a quite a few threads, the next thing I did was to pull the stock and blast the guts of the receiver with some spray gun scrubber (break cleaner for the layman.) to flush out the rest of the goo, grit, brazilian bugs, coffee grounds, metal
shavings, cigarette butts and what ever else was in there from the factory. After it dried, I lubed it up and honestly cycles beautifully now, no joke.
So, for the next step I'm going to step up some test loads and start testing. For my information, what tang sight seems to be a favorite amongst those of you with experience with this rifle?
Of course, and info or advice will be appreciated.
I will get some pictures up ASAP. Thanks as usual!

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I got a stainless M92 20" carbine a couple summers back. Mine in .44 magnum and a pretty decent gun it has proven.

Not without issues including mediocre wood-fit. The only other..and main issue was the sights. The cool little carbine shot somewhat high without enough adjustment on the rear sight to bring it to target. I've heard others gripe about the same issue with the carbines...not sure if that applies to rifles or not. They may have better iron sights.

The rest of it is good..smooth working..easy loading..accurate. Better wood fit and properly regulated sights and the gun would've been perfect!

runfiverun
12-28-2012, 10:24 PM
not the lyman.
they flip and flop all over the place.
or if they don't they are not remotely repeatable.
i really prefer reciever sights on the 92's,if only i had about 3 grand sitting around i could get one installed on all of mine.

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 10:28 PM
They do have a little peep-sight that replaces the little bolt safety.

fecmech
12-28-2012, 11:29 PM
You can buy the Taurus Tang sight for $33. and it is adjustable for both windage and elevation and it is repeatable. I've been using mine for a couple years now with no problems. You can order the extended screws from Brownells for the Marbel Tang sight list. Here is mine on my Rossi. http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-tangsight.cfm
EO]

greenrivers
12-29-2012, 10:21 PM
I bought one a couple years ago in .45 Colt, and like yours the wood/metal fit is nothing special, but servicable. I did pull the action apart and deburred the insides. That made it buttery smooth. The rifle shot well with open sights, but old eyes have a problem with them, so I installed a Marbles tang sight. I can not say enough in it's behalf. Worth the money. Very well made rifles for the money. Mine is a keeper.

dagger dog
12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a BrazTech Rossi 24" 45 Colt ,modified a Lyman #2 Winchester Tang sight, elongating the rear hole, and metric rethreading the long tang screw,also replaced the barrel sights with a Marbles full buckhorn and small ivory bead front.

If you want to find your brass, you will need to replace or clip some coils from the ejector spring. It's quite strong and really throws the brass into the Twilight Zone. It also contributes to the hard snap over feeling of the ejector slipping over the cartridge rim.

It's a little tricky to get it reassembled and I'm glad I bought StevesGunz DVD and parts kit which is the spring and a stanless steel mag' follower.
The DVD alone is worth the price I also bought the safety replacement plug.

Pb2au
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Update:
I have finished loading my first set of test loads for the Rossi. I am approaching it a little differently this time. I have 3 different projectiles I am testing, all with identical powder charges. My loads are taken directly from the Lyman cast boolit loading manual. I am testing the Lee 200 grn rnfp, the 230 rn, and the 252 grn semiwadcutter. What I have arrived to was a pretty mild loading across all three projectiles, as i am not too much into hot rodding things.
What I hope to arrive to is;
1) A boolit shape that cycles fine in the Rossi
2) Is of course accurate.
3) Hopefully accurate as well in my Blackhawk. i have finished load development in that firearm already, but as yet have not been overly excited. So, I am in a way scrubbing the board and starting over for it, which is fine. My thoughts on the Ruger is that I have been pushing it a bit to fast.
After I establish a good all around plinking load for the rifle and pistol, I will move onto limited testing with a heavy projectile for the Rossi for a possible hunting trip to the East side of Ohio for the burgeoning pig population over there.
I will update with a range report ASAP.

joec
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Update:
I have finished loading my first set of test loads for the Rossi. I am approaching it a little differently this time. I have 3 different projectiles I am testing, all with identical powder charges. My loads are taken directly from the Lyman cast boolit loading manual. I am testing the Lee 200 grn rnfp, the 230 rn, and the 252 grn semiwadcutter. What I have arrived to was a pretty mild loading across all three projectiles, as i am not too much into hot rodding things.
What I hope to arrive to is;
1) A boolit shape that cycles fine in the Rossi
2) Is of course accurate.
3) Hopefully accurate as well in my Blackhawk. i have finished load development in that firearm already, but as yet have not been overly excited. So, I am in a way scrubbing the board and starting over for it, which is fine. My thoughts on the Ruger is that I have been pushing it a bit to fast.
After I establish a good all around plinking load for the rifle and pistol, I will move onto limited testing with a heavy projectile for the Rossi for a possible hunting trip to the East side of Ohio for the burgeoning pig population over there.
I will update with a range report ASAP.

As for heavy loads the Rossi can handle more than you Blackhawk can. I have some loads using Ranch Dogs 290 gr gas checked cast bullet using 25 gr of Lil'Gun that has some real stopping power but is also hard on the shoulder. Oh and mine is the 20" octagon barrel in 45 Colt. I've had it for about 3 years now with the Steve's Gunz tune up done and some full buck horn sights and ivory bead front site also from Steve's site.

I shoot black powder in my gun also when competing in cowboy action events.

dagger dog
01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
joec,

Is your 92 a BrazTech or an earlier version, how is brass life with that Lil'Gun load, does your 92 show any brass bulge near the base ?

Buckshot
01-06-2013, 04:39 AM
http://www.fototime.com/7848272124A4E8F/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/95900A3C1D2F5E8/standard.jpg

My first Rossi was this 24" octagon rifle in 45 Colt. I feel that most of the few problems encountered with them are merely due to mass production and less then skilled final fitting and assembly. Everyone I've seen and held (I now also have a 38/357 carbine) had a very well done polishing job on the reciever, and generally also on the lever. No dips, waves or dished screw holes. Both of mine had pretty well fitted wood for a mass produced rifle, and I'm not excusing sloppy work. In a few places it's simply not air tight. Nowhere is there any whoopties to draw your eye.

http://www.fototime.com/5751F9BA77BF996/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/C5172D22760ADBF/standard.jpg

I took it apart, and being my first M92 I had to search the web in order to find instructions for putting it back together :-) Overall internally it wasn't bad. A friend of mine bought one years ago (Stainless carbine 38/357) and it had apparently been machined with tools that had been pushed too hard or too long) but this was in the growing period of SASS. It was literally filled with pigs ears on edges and corners with a teaspoon's worth of metallic flecks floating around inside. Once I had mine apart I merely broke sharp edges and corners with a fine india oilstone and gave flat mating surfaces a few licks with it also. It was flushed out with carb cleaner and all the nooks and crannies wiped out with cotton swabs. Then sliding surfaces got engine assembly moly, and other points got way oil.

Operation hadn't been bad to my uneducated hand before but was noticeably smoother afterwards. While it was apart I sluged the barrel and it was a tight .450" x .446" so the lands are only .002" tall. It has a 32" twist. My Japchester M92 has a 16" twist, which I wish the Rossi had. I eventually put a Marbles tang sight on it. They also have the longer tang screws.

http://www.fototime.com/126904E05992A38/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/C30347487543D4A/standard.jpg

While apart I discovered it had a plastic follower (which is actually fine, but just not right :-)) so I had to make a steel replacement. The right photo closeup is very poor but my camera at the time didn't do closeups very well. I'd fire blued it.

http://www.fototime.com/744223B96FDE8AF/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/D17E117B0ED6111/standard.jpg

This boolit had been very accurate in my Vaquero, and actually fed in the Rossi, but the 32" twist wasn't very friendly to it accuracy wise. The Miroku M92 with it's 16" twist shoots it like a house afire. It is lube-sized .457" and then run up through a Lee .454" die. Many years ago in a local gunshop there was a used Rossi M92 rifle in 45 colt on consignment for $300. It had a nice half octagon, half round barrel. This was on a Saturday. I was trying to be mature so I didn't buy it then. I figured if I called Monday and it was available I'd get it. You know what happened though! I KNEW I should have been childish and bought it Saturday. Acting grown up doesn't always work out.

..............Buckshot

joec
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
joec,

Is your 92 a BrazTech or an earlier version, how is brass life with that Lil'Gun load, does your 92 show any brass bulge near the base ?

Mine is a BrazTech and shows no bulge in the brass base. As for brass life with Lil'Gun I don't know yet as I've not reloaded any I've already shot as I have a rather large quantity of 45 Colt brass both new and fired.

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 03:05 AM
that would have been the second half and half bbl i have ever seen.
had you bought it and shown a picture of it...

Pb2au
01-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Update:
Finally got the darn thing out for the maiden voyage!
Function was perfect. It loaded and fed all three types of projectiles with 0 issues. Extraction and ejection was also perfect.
Accuracy was good, although the rifle is shooting to the right a bit. I did not bring my kit with me to range, so I just used Kentucky windage. So far it is a toss up between the 255 grain semi-wadcutter and the 230 grain RN over 7.5 grains of Unique. I'm going to load up again with the same recipes and for the next trip bag the rifle down and really wring it out.
Overall, my impression of this rifle is good, and I see a lot of potential in it.

HiVelocity
01-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Folks, I did some horse-trading awhile back and wound up with a 16" 92 SRC Rossi in 45 Colt, with "InterArms" on the frame under the lever. Like others, wood wasn't perfect, but good enough for me. The metal immaculate, bore sharp and clear. I now load a (discontinued) 454-285-RF/GC (Casull design) for this particular rifle. I don't think it will be going anywhere anytime soon.

HV

1616s16
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
no case bulge but will not shoot sized cast

7Acres
03-16-2013, 09:05 PM
After reading a quite a few threads, the next thing I did was to pull the stock and blast the guts of the receiver with some spray gun scrubber (break cleaner for the layman.) to flush out the rest of the goo, grit, brazilian bugs, coffee grounds, metal shavings, cigarette butts and what ever else was in there from the factory.

Haha! That is hilarious!

Denver
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
You can buy the Taurus Tang sight for $33. and it is adjustable for both windage and elevation and it is repeatable. I've been using mine for a couple years now with no problems. You can order the extended screws from Brownells for the Marbel Tang sight list. Here is mine on my Rossi. http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-tangsight.cfm
EO]

Where can I find the Taurus tang sight? Brownells used to catalog them, but a search of their website draws a blank now. Also was unable to find anything on the Taurus website.

Thanks

pietro
03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Where can I find the Taurus tang sight? Brownells used to catalog them, but a search of their website draws a blank now. Also was unable to find anything on the Taurus website.

Thanks

http://www.taurususa.com/products-parts-accessories.cfm

dnotarianni
03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
look for a marble sight from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/bullseye-rear-sight-prod27265.aspx?avs|Color_1=Black&avs|Style_1=Tang%20Sights

Greatest replacment I found for my 92 in 44 mag
Dave

snaketail
04-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I really like the price of the Taurus tang sight - but which one for a Rossi M92 in .45 Colt?

Denver
04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
I called Taurus back in mid March for info about the tang sight. I was able to talk to a nice lady after about a 15 minute wait. She said there were none available at the time, but they were awaiting an order that would be there when it got there and she would put me on the backorder list if I wanted. I had to give her my credit card # to be placed on the list, so I did that. Hopefully no strange charges will appear on my future bills. While I wait, I may order up one of those Marble barrel mount peeps that was mentioned.

fecmech
04-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I really like the price of the Taurus tang sight - but which one for a Rossi M92 in .45 Colt?
You want the one for the model 63, PN 5-6373. It has the longer stem which allows more elevation. The others are all the same height and with slower loads you will run out of elevation pretty quick.

ironhead7544
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM

I have the Taurus sight on my 44 Mag short rifle. You will need a different set of screws for it available from Brownells. It is the set made for the Marbles tang sight and the Rossi 92.

I would just get the Marbles Tang. The Rossi is made for the 22lr pump and I dont know how well it will hold up on the harder recoiling m92. Mine will drop when firing full 44 Mag loads. The locking is too light and small.

Pb2au
05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Update;
Just back from the range with the results from the latest loads. All testing done at 50 yards, off of bench, lots of wind.
Best of the Best was the 9.0 grains of unique under lee's 230 RN. average group was 1.5"
Same boolit over 7.5 grains of unique, 2.0"-ish average group.
Lees 255grn semi wadcutter over 7.5 grains of unique. 2.0"- ish as well.
Lee 255grn semi wadcutter over 6.0 grains of trail boss. Meh. This I think does have some promise though. Does anyone here have some experience with trail boss loadings over 6 grains in 45 colt? My guts are telling me I need to push the boolit a bit harder.
Many thanks!

Poohgyrr
05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Those M92's are sweet. Congrats on that Lever.

jh45gun
05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
no case bulge but will not shoot sized cast

My Rossi Ranch Hand gobbles up cast no problem even 300 grain ones.

427smith
05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I have a stainless 44 mag Rossi imported by LSI. I did a little work on the action to make it smooth and not abuse my brass. It shoots most bullets just fine even Lee's 310 with a modified nose. Honestly it kicks the snot out of me, so I went a different direction. Lyman 429215 gascheck sized on a star at .431 with 10 grains unique will print 5 shots
@ 3 inches with 4 in 2 inches at 50 yards. everytime. groups grow after 11 grains. 12 grains print about 4 inches. can't buy any 2400 or 4759 around here right now but gunna try some soon as I can

joec
05-29-2013, 08:45 PM
I shoot 200 gr to 290 gr cast bullets with HP-38 to Trailboss. The trailboss is good for low recoil loads and very accurate but I run about 5.4 gr for a cowboy load. Longest I've shot them is 50 yards a very accurate.

Pb2au
05-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Up date to my update.
So my only gripe from the day was that the rifle was shooting a tad to the right. I figured no problem, I'll just drift over the front sight a smudge when I get home.
Well, when I cleaned the gun tonight, I discovered why it was shooting to the right... The front sight is loose is the dovetail of the barrel.........
Not a big deal, I'll get out the precision pin punches and stake the bevels a little on sights dovetail and gain some interference.

runfiverun
05-30-2013, 04:00 AM
might have to cut a pop can shim for under the sight too.

skiforce75
05-30-2013, 07:00 AM
look for a marble sight from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/bullseye-rear-sight-prod27265.aspx?avs|Color_1=Black&avs|Style_1=Tang%20Sights

Greatest replacment I found for my 92 in 44 mag
Dave

That is the sight I have on my 92. Love it. Quick and simple!

Pb2au
05-30-2013, 08:40 AM
might have to cut a pop can shim for under the sight too.

That is a good idea! Many thanks to you sir!

Pb2au
08-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Update to my update to my update.
Got the rear sight drifted over, and got the front sight firmed up. It was shooting 8" to the right, now it is dead center, 1" Ish high at 100 yards.
The load is Lee's semiwadcutter, 250 grain boolit, wheel weights, air cooled, and the charge is 17 grains of 2400.
And the best part my dad was with me all afternoon while we dialed her in. It was awesome watching the master shoot.

robertbank
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
I have a stainless 44 mag Rossi imported by LSI. I did a little work on the action to make it smooth and not abuse my brass. It shoots most bullets just fine even Lee's 310 with a modified nose. Honestly it kicks the snot out of me, so I went a different direction. Lyman 429215 gascheck sized on a star at .431 with 10 grains unique will print 5 shots
@ 3 inches with 4 in 2 inches at 50 yards. everytime. groups grow after 11 grains. 12 grains print about 4 inches. can't buy any 2400 or 4759 around here right now but gunna try some soon as I can

Have a shoulder that really didn't enjoy being behind my Rossi 44mag. The steel curved butt plate just wasn't doing it for me. I had a 'smith replace the butt plate with a straight recoil pad and the gun now is shootable with anything I can throw into her. I know it takes away the look but the guns are never going to be collector pieces and life is to short to live with a bruised shoulder.

Take Care

Bob

dagger dog
08-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Have a shoulder that really didn't enjoy being behind my Rossi 44mag. The steel curved butt plate just wasn't doing it for me. I had a 'smith replace the butt plate with a straight recoil pad and the gun now is shootable with anything I can throw into her. I know it takes away the look but the guns are never going to be collector pieces and life is to short to live with a bruised shoulder.

Take Care

Bob

I know what you're talkin' about, I bought a medium Limbsaver slip on recoil pad, and use it when shooting my Ruger only 45 Colt hand loads in my Braztech M92, and on a single shot 45-70 Gov. rifle that has the steel butt plate.

Hey, I'm like you I'm shooting for FUN ! I can take a one shot meat getter punch to the shoulder, BUT setting at a bench and letting a rifle beat the living **** outta ya ain't my idea of FUN!

KCSO
08-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Mine, like Buckshts was somewhat poorly fitted and finished but after a similar tune up it is a real shooter. My largest groups so far are rith at 3" with iron sights at 100 yards. Pictures are in the thread 1 of 1000. I only shoot 250 gr. bullets in mine and it feeds semi wadcutters and rnfp like a charm.

propwashp47
09-28-2013, 01:11 PM
You want the one for the model 63, PN 5-6373. It has the longer stem which allows more elevation. The others are all the same height and with slower loads you will run out of elevation pretty quick.

hello I have a emf Hartford in ss 45 colt. as I under stand it started out as a rossi so it should work. this a super nice lever and is just begging for for a tang sight. I wood like to use the tarus tang all so on a Winchester 94 in 30-30 with windtough stock. is there a way to tighten up the sight so the higher recoil wont knock down the sight?

fecmech
09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
is there a way to tighten up the sight so the higher recoil wont knock down the sight?
After I shoot I just use my thumb to push the sight back into the detent, it just snaps into place.

birch
09-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Congrats on the .45 lever gun. I have one that will hopefully go to the grave with me. I have found the best accuracy for my single action army and my miroku are the 255 grain rn. I think that was the original boolit weight that the .45colt was designed for.

I really love to see what that longer barrel really give the ol' .45 colt. Talk about a big old wollup!!!