PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-28-2012, 08:52 PM
I had pretty much talked myself out of the lust for 45-70 Handi rifle.
No stores around here ever had one to fondle.
Today, I made the mistake of wandering the gun isle after some other duties &
there it was, calling my name. A 22 incher, with irons, for 289, brand new.
I hope its gone by payday or I see yet another lay-a-way ticket in my future

I think I need to see a head shrinker[smilie=1:

Catshooter
12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Just to help you resist it, I can tell you that I love mine and so has everyone else that's shot it.

I'm here for ya brother. :)

Cat

Bored1
12-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I figure if its what you want and not "oh wow thats cheap" syndrome, @ least with layaway you will know at the end of the month where your spending $ went instead of wondering why your broke with nothing to show for it!!!!

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-29-2012, 01:42 PM
I figure if its what you want and not "oh wow thats cheap" syndrome, @ least with layaway you will know at the end of the month where your spending $ went instead of wondering why your broke with nothing to show for it!!!!

I have something to show for being broke at the end of the month.
A stack of white paper with a black dot in the middle and a bunch of various size hole
punched all around
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/Smilies/machinegun.gif

farmerjim
12-29-2012, 01:50 PM
It sure is fun to shoot those 500+ gr boolits out of my 45-70 Handi Rifle.
The only problem is you only get 14 to the pound.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Jim,

I'm not a handi rifle fan, but if your sold on having one, ya might try what I just did a week ago. Worked great!

I bought a, "loaner rifle."

Haven't worked out with the wife how often I can buy loaner rifles, but it sure worked slick this first time. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking once a month or so, and the wife is think more like once a year. [smilie=1:

One problem with this loaner rifle is, I'll now need to spend lots of time with the young hunter I'm mentoring developing loads and testing. Hate it when I am forced to go shooting!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Jim,

I'm not a handi rifle fan, but if your sold on having one, ya might try what I just did a week ago. Worked great!

I bought a, "loaner rifle."

Haven't worked out with the wife how often I can buy loaner rifles, but it sure worked slick this first time. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking once a month or so, and the wife is think more like once a year. [smilie=1:

One problem with this loaner rifle is, I'll now need to spend lots of time with the young hunter I'm mentoring developing loads and testing. Hate it when I am forced to go shooting!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I LOVE IT! I haven't used that one yet! Can I steal it?

Edd

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Can't steal it Edd,but I'll give ya one time rights to use the, "loaner" idea. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

[smilie=w: CDOC 8-)

nhrifle
12-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey Ol'Coot, I used that one first! You stole my idea! Thats how I got my Sharps!

nhrifle
12-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Jim if you need to ease the 45/70 bug, watch Quigley Down Under. That's how I get my fix when it's to cold outside to shoot mine.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Oh NO, Came in second AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDOC

nhrifle
01-01-2013, 12:14 AM
That's ok bud, don't use it too long. She caught on after awhile and started recgnizing rifles in my collection that I had borrowed awhile previous.

45-70marlin
01-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Bought one 2 weeks ago and so far I love it! I am useing the 330 lyman Gould bullet in it useing IMR-4895 but I get a lot of unburned powder in the barrel so I am going to try a faster powder. I only want it to go about the same as the old black powder load. :coffeecom

tacklebury
01-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Try that gould with about 38 gr. Reloader7 - betcha like it. ;)

45-70marlin
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Tacklebury, that load puts it in 1400 fps range I think. I dont have any Re7 but it sounds like a good load. i am trying 29.0gr. of IMR-4198 and a few with 23.0 gr. of 2400 with tp wad. Got to get to range, daylight is short this time of year.

gandydancer
01-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I got one of the new CVA single shot short scout rifle with a BERGARA barrel in 45/70 $265.00 OTD and its great. comes with mts & rings. GD

Swampman
01-03-2013, 10:49 PM
The H&Rs are highly accurate.

dagger dog
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Mr. Flinchbaugh,

Will you prefer smoking or non for your "lil' friend" (in my best Tony Montano voice).

The 45-70 Handi is a hoot with smoking, and a real thumper with 'less, BUY IT !

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Mr. Flinchbaugh,

Will you prefer smoking or non - BUY IT !

I seriously want something to shoot the holy black in on occasion,
but mainly the smoke(?)less.
I really really wanted the H&R target model 38-55 not many around

Gandydancer- was that a new price?
also, how is the rifling in the CVA?
I looked down the tube at this Handi yesterday( yeah its still there :roll:)
and the rifling is almost hard to see it's so shallow.

I'm pretty shy about Handis after the 2 that I bought new last year.
Both have been a PIA, one had to go back for a new barrel,
and shoots great with out the fore end installed- not so great with it.
More tinkering.
How they are marketing these things a cheap entry no frills accurate hunting rifle is beyond me.
My experience so far is, you're buying a project with hopes that it MIGHT shoot someday
if you have the patience, time, know-how and wallet to get it there.
I've spent dang near as much shooting my 7-08 trying to work out the kinks than I paid for the bloody thing.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Jim,

As I said earlier, I am not a handi rifle fan in any shape or form.

However, my oldest son bought one with a shotgun barrel for hunting in close range areas with short range weapons.

It shot VERY bad until he worked over the forend.

AS I recall, the forend wood must have been dished out in the center causing stress when it was installed and the screw drawn up tight.

Not sure if he glassed it or just removed wood, but he got it shooting very respectably for a slug gun.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

gandydancer
01-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Yes that is what I paid for it 2 weeks ago. and it has very strong rifling. CVA has just about all of their bbl's made by Bergara of Spain. and they are some of the best in the world. check it out. GD www.bergarausa.com -

QUOTE=Jim Flinchbaugh;1988758]I seriously want something to shoot the holy black in on occasion,
but mainly the smoke(?)less.
I really really wanted the H&R target model 38-55 not many around

Gandydancer- was that a new price?
also, how is the rifling in the CVA?
I looked down the tube at this Handi yesterday( yeah its still there :roll:)
and the rifling is almost hard to see it's so shallow.

I'm pretty shy about Handis after the 2 that I bought new last year.
Both have been a PIA, one had to go back for a new barrel,
and shoots great with out the fore end installed- not so great with it.
More tinkering.
How they are marketing these things a cheap entry no frills accurate hunting rifle is beyond me.
My experience so far is, you're buying a project with hopes that it MIGHT shoot someday
if you have the patience, time, know-how and wallet to get it there.
I've spent dang near as much shooting my 7-08 trying to work out the kinks than I paid for the bloody thing.[/QUOTE]

Ed in North Texas
01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
That's ok bud, don't use it too long. She caught on after awhile and started recgnizing rifles in my collection that I had borrowed awhile previous.

Never fear - with age the wife might lose the ability to recollect what you have. The downside of this is every gun then becomes suspect. :(

Having a son who knows what you have had for a while, and will so testify, is good insurance for the latter. [smilie=1:

Ed

geezer56
01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
I once had 28 Handi rifles. Then I bought a Whelen. Three different times. Still don't have one that goes bang reliably. Bought the CVA Scout, no troubles, ever. I now have an armload of encores, a couple of CVA's, and down to 8 H&R's.