PDA

View Full Version : Gas check maker etc questions

Rich22
12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
So now that the guys over in the Swaging forum have set me straight that there is no way on earth for me to swage jacketed bullets in any economic sense it appears gas checks are my next option. I am going to be doing this for a 300 Blackout rifle. Need to see what the best equipment would be to make my own, I need it to produce excellent quality checks out of essentially free material and do so fairly quickly since I barely get the loading that I need for 9mm done as it is. What do you all think would be my best option?

Thank you

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, If you are tied to using "essentially free material" to make checks out of, I'll tell you what I've learned. Popcans are free.

the short story is you should strongly consider the Patmarlins checkmaker "30PB"

I have a few Patmarlins check makers and one FC III (Free Chex III). Both tools are excellent. I really like my FC III in 22 cal, it works much faster than the Patmarlins and you don't have to spend lots of time cutting the metal into precision sized strips, but it's finicky about the type of metal you feed it.
At first my goal was to make checks out of Popcan metal, BUT what I've learned is that thin popcan metal are really only good for gas checks for plain base boolits...hence the Patmarlins...plus you don't need a gas check style mold, which means you have the option to make boolits without gas checks with the same mold.
Jon

Rich22
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info, I will check that out and see what kind of rate of production I can expect with Checkmaker, if I need to do the material into precision strips though, more than likely it will not work for me.
Well, If you are tied to using "essentially free material" to make checks out of, I'll tell you what I've learned. Popcans are free.

the short story is you should strongly consider the Patmarlins checkmaker "30PB"

I have a few Patmarlins check makers and one FC III (Free Chex III). Both tools are excellent. I really like my FC III in 22 cal, it works much faster than the Patmarlins and you don't have to spend lots of time cutting the metal into precision sized strips, but it's finicky about the type of metal you feed it.
At first my goal was to make checks out of Popcan metal, BUT what I've learned is that thin popcan metal are really only good for gas checks for plain base boolits...hence the Patmarlins...plus you don't need a gas check style mold, which means you have the option to make boolits without gas checks with the same mold.
Jon

fcvan
12-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't find the cutting strips part to be much of a hindrance. When I started cutting soda cans I cut them with shears. Slow and tedious. Then I bought a paper cutter from Harbor Freight for $8 and it cuts strips like a champ.

I have a 35 PB and 45 PB CheckMaker tools for using soda cans. The 30 Cal CheckMaker I bought was not the PB version, and uses thicker aluminum flashing. I bought a 6"x50' roll of Amerimax flashing for less than $19 after taxes, and that paper cutter works fine for the flashing too. If you don't like cutting your own, another member here sells rolls of precut reasonably. Yonky is based out of England but from what I've read he is prompt and reasonably priced.

JKH
01-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Buy the Freechex III, have Charlie leave the forming mandrel long so you can chuck it in your drill press, one pull = one completely formed gas check and the work as well as factory checks at minimum.

The Freechex III's that are a little fussy about material are the .22, and pistol calibers that require thinner material, if you use lith plate you wont have issues, in the instructions Charlie lists what thickness material the particular caliber is desgned to use (actually a range from .xxx" to .xxx").

Roof flashing tends to be very hard and is difficult to cut with any check maker, if you use it then I highly recommend searching threads on annealing, lith plate is perfect if you can get the right thickness, just like Goldilocks eating the bears oatmeal, its juuuuuuust right ; ) not too hard and not too soft and essentially no springback.

Jeff

RobS
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I use a PatMarlin PB gas check maker for my 45 caliber boolits however I still buy my 375 checks. I would like to try a 375 PB boolit with a PB GC but don't own either the mold or the GC maker to try things out. As it is though I don't shoot a whole lot of my 375 H&H and a 1000 factory checks will go a long time. The person inside me who likes to tinker always keeps me wondering..............oh, yea did I mention I'm a cheap ars too. :)

PatMarlin
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm working with Yonky to get his strip and my slot dimensions coordinated so there will be a source of pre-strip cut coils from him for those who choose not to cut strips on a paper cutter. There will be a link on my website covering this soon.

Strips are easy to cut with a paper cutter. Make a guide marker like I show in my pdf instructions:

Here is a PDF download link for full operating instructions with pictures:
http://www.patmarlins.com/CheckMakerDiesInstructions.pdf

Also adding more calibers as time permits. Soon will have 270PB cal, 375 cal, 375PB cal, 9.3PB cal, and more.

Calibers Now in production-

7mm cal, 270 cal, 30 cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 30PB cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 338 cal, 32/8mm cal, 32PB cal (includes 8mm), 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm), 40/10mmPB cal, 41 cal, 44PB cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PB Pistol cal, 45PB Rifle cal, 45PBAR cal (tall check for the AR platform), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.

milprileb
01-12-2013, 04:05 PM
300 Blackout and cast bullets ? You better think about that.
That completely defeats having a 300 Blackout.

crawfobj
01-12-2013, 04:27 PM
What make you say that? 300 blackout is a great cast boolit caliber IMO.

Rich22
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I am trying to understand this, 90% of my shooting will be short range non accuracy intensive shooting and a decent amount shall be subsonic so I would think that with the 300 Blackout ballistics this works very well with my expectations.

300 Blackout and cast bullets ? You better think about that.
That completely defeats having a 300 Blackout.

Rich22
01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Appreciate the info, looks like you do make them for the two calibers I plan to load for, I will have to look at the instructions and see what kind of material is required. Cutting the material is no problem, I am certain I can do it quickly and easily, issue is going to be time required to make the check and cost of the material to make them since I plan on doing a very decent amount of these.

I'm working with Yonky to get his strip and my slot dimensions coordinated so there will be a source of pre-strip cut coils from him for those who choose not to cut strips on a paper cutter. There will be a link on my website covering this soon.

Strips are easy to cut with a paper cutter. Make a guide marker like I show in my pdf instructions:

Here is a PDF download link for full operating instructions with pictures:
http://www.patmarlins.com/CheckMakerDiesInstructions.pdf

Also adding more calibers as time permits. Soon will have 270PB cal, 375 cal, 375PB cal, 9.3PB cal, and more.

Calibers Now in production-

7mm cal, 270 cal, 30 cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 30PB cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 338 cal, 32/8mm cal, 32PB cal (includes 8mm), 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm), 40/10mmPB cal, 41 cal, 44PB cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PB Pistol cal, 45PB Rifle cal, 45PBAR cal (tall check for the AR platform), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.