PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dies for Marlin 30/30 Win

SharuLady
12-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi, I am working up an order for Lee dies for 45acp, 9mm, and the Marlin 30/30 Win. I have the proper Dies picked out for the 45acp and the 9mm (Lee Deluxe 4 Die Set) but started to choose the Deluxe Rifle 3 Die set for the 30/30 until I read that this set of dies is not recommended for autoloaders, slide or lever action guns. Our 30/30's are lever action. So if this set of Dies are not recommended, then what would be the right set of Dies. The Brass is range brass so it has never been shot through our 30/30's.

TYIA, Ruth

SharuLady
01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, I picked the Lee Precision Pacesetter Dies for our 30/30's. Hope that is what I needed. If not live and learn.
Ruth

TNsailorman
01-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Ruth, I just saw your question and I apologize that it has not been answered before this. That's unusual on this site. The Pacesetter dies are an excellent choice for you lever action rifle. They have the needed full length sizing die that you need. I hope you enjoy them. take care, james

P.K.
01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
That's the set I use for my Marlin, for cast and J-word. No worries.

1hole
01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
"...until I read that this set of dies is not recommended for autoloaders, slide or lever action guns"

You don't say where you read that but it's nonsense. Lee's dies work as well as any and the vast majority of .30-30s are lever guns.

SharuLady
01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi, TY for the responses on the dies.
1hole I was reading the descriptions on the Deluxe 4 Die set at Kempf's Reloading and at Titan Reloading. I also tried to find info at FS Reloading but their info and descriptions are very limited or next to nothing. What I didn't understand was why they were not recomended.
Ruth

farmallcrew
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I use Lee dies for my 30-30 and I've been using the same dies for over 10yrs. Gun shoots fine. Don't know why they would not recommend them. But I use them and will until they wear out!!!!!

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
SharuLady

Could you post a link to the description? I'm looking but having a hard time finding this information. Not doubting you.

take care,

r1kk1

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 01:28 PM
http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RM3512.pdf

I believe this pertains to the collet dies. I'm curious. I cannot find for the life of me a four die set for the 30/30. It must contain the collet die, seater, full length sizer and factory crimp die.

take care,

r1kk1

TNsailorman
01-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Lee does not recommend the Collet die for lever, semi-auto rifles. There is a reason for this. I have seen Winchester and Marlin lever rifles that will chamber 30-30 rounds sized in Collet dies but these all had the cases fired in that rifle before they were resized(at least the ones I had personal knowledge ). I have also seen 30-30 lever rifles that would not chamber cartridges sized in the Collet die. My shooting buddy of many years has a Marlin left to him by his father that will not chamber brass(loaded or unloaded) sized this way; fired in his rifle or not. He was assured when he bought his Collet die set by the local sports shop that the dies would work for his Marlin and not to listen to the Lee "haters". Lee sells good products and depends on them working correctly and without failure, that's why they don't recommend the Collet die for lever and semi-autos, they don't need the bad publicity for failures. They sell a wide variety of dies for the 30-30 that features the full length die that they know will work 100% of the time. There seems to be 2 classes of Lee people that I no longer listen to; the Lee haters and the Leephiles. Both are wrong for different reasons. The Lee haters have usually bought and tried to use Lee equipment for purposes that it was not designed to do. The Leephiles see Lee as godlike and get their shorts in a bind at the slightest question or critical remark and often without even reading the full post. I ignor both. I use Lee equipment and go to other manufacturers when I find something that suits me better. Lee has made reloading affordable for some loaders who would have a hard time purchasing reloading equipment if not for Lee. I started out on Lee because it was all I could afford at the time. They do have to make compromises to do this, ie. using aluminum in some places and light cast metal in others, but they do pick and choose where and when they use these metals. It nearly always works out and reduces costs for us, the reloading public. Sorry for the long post but it just seems if the conversation was kept to facts and experience and leave the character assassination to the political forum. take care, james

SharuLady
01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
r1kk1,

Here is the link to the description at Titan Reloading
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=298&category_id=96&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

The link at Kempf Guns, although it states: This type of die set is not recommended if you are loading for an auto-loading rifle such as an AR-15.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=298&category_id=96&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Link at FS Reloading. No info that states it is not recommended. I even clicked on the link for parts information.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-delux-rifle-3-di-3030-90631.html
Ruth

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Factory ammo, obsolete ammo (i.e., 33 Winchester, 38-56, etc.) and wildcats made reloading affordable for me. Equipment costs are a wash over decades. I do a lot of business on the Lee custom side, not production. No complaints on custom side. I ordered four presses in the 80s on the advice of Lee. Three went back. I kept the Lee handpress. I like their 30 day money back guarantee if bought from Lee direct.

Sorry to take from the post.

take care,

r1kk1

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Sharulady,

TNsailorman and my hunch were correct about the collet neck sizing die. Not recommended for other actions other than single shot pistol, single shot rifle and bolt. I miss the Savage 340! Grab the full length set that includes the factory crimp die.

take care,

r1kk1

SharuLady
01-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi,

Would you be so kind to clarify for me which Die set that I need? The Pacesetter Dies or the Deluxe 3 pc Die set. (BTW, I mistakenly stated earlier a 4 pc Deluxe set but I should have put in 3 instead of 4). TYIA.
Ruth

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
lol 3 die, 4 die, I understand.

http://leeprecision.com/pacesetter-dies-30-30-win.html

this is the die set I was talking about. Full length sizer, bullet seater and factory crimp die.

take care and have fun shooting it. I have a single shot pistol barrel in the cartridge that I really do like!

r1kk1

SharuLady
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi,

TY for that info. I have finished and placed my order. I am sure I will need to get some other things along the way. But for now this was a major start along with 2 other orders placed elsewhere (those I have recieved already)
Ruth

EDG
01-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Ruth,
You will find the Lee collet factory crimp die exceptionally good for the purpose intended.
If you continue shooting and expanding your reloading you may find it some advantage to buy used tools. You will be able to buy any brand at reduced prices. You will be able to try any and all brands of loading tools so that you understand the advantages and disadvantages of different designs. From there your preferences will determine what equipment you use and not necessarily the price.

1hole
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Many 'experts' say not to neck size for lever guns, appearantly because they read it in a magazine. I've used Lee's collet neck dies for .30-30 and .35 Rem repeatedly, for years, with absolutely no problems. Both of those are modest pressure loads and my lever actions handle my necked cases perfectly.

Lee's rifle Factory Crimp Die is also a collet design. It's the best crimper on the market if the user knows what he's doing and doesn't excessively crimp. But that's not a die problem, nothing works well if it's not used right.

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Many 'experts' say not to neck size for lever guns, appearantly because they read it in a magazine. I've used Lee's collet neck dies for .30-30 and .35 Rem repeatedly, for years, with absolutely no problems. Both of those are modest pressure loads and my lever actions handle my necked cases perfectly.

Did you have to modify the dies any? Do you single load or fill the magazine? I agree, sometimes things get regurgitated over time. I was curious if neck tension was high enough to allow the cartridges to load from magazine.

I agree with another member forum about full length dies being setup as not to push the shoulder back to far. I know Bonanza will modify their full length sizers to give whatever you want depending on neck thickness of course.

take care,

r1kk1

P.K.
01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
r1kk1,

Here is the link to the description at Titan Reloading

The link at Kempf Guns, although it states: This type of die set is not recommended if you are loading for an auto-loading rifle such as an AR-15.

Link at FS Reloading. No info that states it is not recommended. I even clicked on the link for parts information.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-delux-rifle-3-di-3030-90631.html
Ruth

Ruth,

I just wen't back and parused the link you posted for the AR. After wiping my coffee off the screen I have to say that the web site is incorrect. I have that very set for my .223/5.56 and I collet size all my fire formed cases (neck size cases fired in my chamber) with no issues what so ever. Just did a work up run last night, all brass collet sized with uniform case mouth diameter( set to .221 more neck tention on the J-word.), I haven't a clue as to why they would post such an error on their site.

1Shirt
01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Ruth, it is good to see a lady post questions like this. Please let us know your results and degree of satisfaction. I full length resize all 30-30 brass that has not been fired in my 94 win for the first reloading. After that, I neck size for the next 3-4 loadings with moderate loads, after trim to length. I again full length resize about every 4-5 loadings. Moderate loads to say 1800 fps, work well for me, and brass life is extended. Have gotten up to 13-15 loadings out of 30-30 brass in this manner.
Good luck!
1Shirt!

SharuLady
01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi EDG,

TY for that info. Being a noob at this, I realize there is a lot to learn. I don't have a problem with purchasing used equipment as long as it is in good working order but.... then being a noob I am always a tad leary wheather or not the used equipment is good. Plus I do not buy anything off fleabay or use paypal as I do not like or trust either. So I am limited I know in having access to to other used equipment. Guess I have to come clean and admit that until I started working up my 3 orders I didn't realize that a lot of other equipment could interchange :roll: Well Duh!!! But, I am learning, slow but sure.
Ruth

SharuLady
01-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Hi P.K.,

On that link posted for Kempf's Guns, that is what was posted on their site about
This type of die set is not recommended if you are loading for an auto-loading rifle such as an AR-15.. But I forgot to mention that I called them about which type of Die set would be best for the 30/30's. That is when they told me I would need the Pacesetter Dies as the Deluxe 3 piece set is not recomended for lever actions. As to the their statement about the AR-15, I really have no idea since I do not own one.

Ruth

SharuLady
01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi 1Shirt,

Ty, but I hope you don't live to regret all the questions I will most surely have! [smilie=1:

I full length resize all 30-30 brass that has not been fired in my 94 win for the first reloading. After that, I neck size for the next 3-4 loadings with moderate loads, after trim to length. I again full length resize about every 4-5 loadings. Moderate loads to say 1800 fps, work well for me, and brass life is extended. Have gotten up to 13-15 loadings out of 30-30 brass in this manner.

TY for this info, sounds like a good plan.
I know that I need to full length resize all my 30-30 brass that has not been fired in our two 30/30's win for the first reloading as all my brass for them is range brass.
I also need to get more info about annealing the necks, but I guess it would be best to start a new thread about that. Plus some other questions. :roll:
I will let you know about my results and satisfaction (probably because I will be jumping with joy!!) [smilie=w:

TY again, Ruth

EDG
01-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Ruth,
I hope you find the learning part fun. I have been doing this for more than 40 years and I have huge pile of stuff. I find that I enjoyed the learning part the most, at least that is the excuse that I use for buying a lot of the stuff. You are wise to avoid fleabay until you have some experience. I get good deals there now and then on tools that have been discontinued, but I also get burned about one out of 12 to 15 purchases. Anyway welcome and have a good time.