PDA

View Full Version : just had to blow something apart

johnson1942
12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
sun finally came out, wind went down to nothing, stopped snowing, relatives went home and the new mould didnt come in the mail today. so i filled 5-1 gallon milk jugs with water and capped them. took my 1-23 twist big .50 and fixins out to the range west side of house. 5 shots 5 exploded jugs at 100 yards each one. 125 grains of goex catridge powder behind a 700 grain paper patched bullet. best darn medicine a cabin fever person could get. tell us what you did with your front stuffer to day i bet we will all enjoy hearing about it.

fouronesix
12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
No ML today- too cold, too much wind and too much snow to freeze my fingers with a flinter- but did wallow out a hole in a paper target today. Shot 30 cast fire forming rounds into a bull at 50 yards using a Win 70 30-06.

johnson1942
12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
i bet it felt good

**oneshot**
12-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Won't get out until next week, but I'm itching.

DIRT Farmer
12-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Yesterday I sat in a tree with my 59 Sharps repo looking for Mrs bambi. I wander what that big chunk of 54 cal lead will do when 80 grns of ffg lights.

johnson1942
12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
she wont suffer any

Reg
12-29-2012, 02:24 AM
Person just needs to get out and "let er rip" now and then !!!!

OverMax
12-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Hey does this count johnson1942:
I took a piece of paper drew a 4" round target. Poked three holes in the bulls-eye touching each other. I taped it on the front of this monitor. Now day-dreaming of the last sunny warm day I actually did this shooting w/patched RD ball. A~h Yes~ > Déjà vu. :coffeecom Yup better times. No doubt.

Me go out in 4 above weather looking to shoot my T/C 45 and chancing some frost bite.
:shock: I~ DON'T~ THINK~ SO!!

Boerrancher
12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, yesterday I still had my 50cal flinter still loaded from my last deer hunt. The wife was complaining that there were too many guns stacked in the front window sills of her living room. (yes I keep my ML's standing in the windows I have found it is the most uniform temp in the house.) I packed all 5 of them down stairs after installing a new gun rack for them. Then I took the flinter hawken along with my hunting pouch out to the front porch. It was snowing a bit but there were still plenty of rocks sticking out of the hillside at various distances. I had an enjoyable hour standing there busting rocks. It is amazing how devastating a 50cal round ball is on a fist sized rock inside of 100 yards. Once the smoke from the rifle cleared enough to see, since there was no wind to speak of, the cloud of greyish white dust on the hillside was evidence of a solid hit. It was just a fun way to kill an hour and get some off hand practice in.

Best wishes,

Joe

johnson1942
12-29-2012, 12:36 PM
i bet you felt good to the bone. it is really strange but their are no rocks here in western ne. makes it good when your driveing through tall grass but their are none to shoot at. if i lived in the lay of the land full of rocks as you do, breaking rocks would be my favorite pastime. by the way we have a excellent flintknapper in our local little town. he even bought a small old store with a nice front window to display all his stuff. once in a while ill buy a flintarrow head to hang another one on my war shirt. he has a lot of bones and saber tooth cat skulls and such also. kepp haveing fun

Sergeant Earthworm
12-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Took my nine year old to the range with his .50 caliber Traditions Tennessee rifle. He popped some water filled jugs (add a little food coloring for effect) using a patched ball and 45 grains fffg. Had a blast (pun intended). Also put holes in paper. He really wants a .58 caliber rifle musket but is a tad on the small side for something that big.

johnson1942
12-31-2012, 10:25 PM
memories and doing things together last a life time worth way more than money. nice to hear about you and your son.