PDA

View Full Version : Where to get parts for Puma Rossi levers?

azrednek
12-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I need a mag tube spring for my Puma Rossi in 44 mag. Can anybody suggest a source? I've tried Numrich and most recently Bob's Gun Parts. Bob's Gun Parts very simply sux big time. I ordered the spring along with other non Rossi parts, a couple of mags and it took him three weeks to figure out he didn't have anything I ordered.

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I really think the yellow plastic follower on my .44 mag is going to be an issue...There is some cowboy action gunsmith named 'Steve' who works on the Rossi's and offers some parts and up-grades.

I'm going to get a steel follower from him...maybe a plug for the extra safety. I bet he would have a spring...

I'll check and report back when I get some info....

joec
12-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Here is a site that will sell both the custom springs an metal replacements for the plastic magazine follower. I'm using his magazine follower and springs in both my Rossi 92 45 Colt and Rossi Rio Grande 45-70 which he custom made for me and now sells also.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html

You can also order the spring direct from Rossi Arms in Miami Florida.

Pb2au
12-29-2012, 12:00 AM
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=a75avscoboe06onef8p0i0rpf1
Here is the link to Steve's Gunz. Apparently he is a savant on the Rossi/puma 92.

TGM
12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
The source for Rossi Puma parts is: M&M Gunsmithing, 204 South Union Street, Alexandria, Va 22314, Phone 703-739-2150 . They are the factory-authorized service center for Rossi rifles imported by LSI.

TGM

azrednek
12-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks gentleman for the advice and leads. I got one coming from Brownell's. I had to get some FN Mauser parts and had them add the spring to the order.

Incidentally I have three Puma Rossis. I got them dirt cheap from a business that was closing its doors. All three have the metal and not the plastic followers. One thing I did with all three were to remove the followers, de-burr and smooth the surface. Made a big improvement especially in the 38/357 model. The 44, the mag tube spring is simply weak and the last round might or might not come out far enough. I had loaned the 44 to an out of town relative getting it back a few months later. I have a feeling he may have stored it with the mag full.

Ragnarok
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I've had to 'clean' lever-gun mag-tubes before...I guess because the gun was old and had cruddy ammo shoved in it and fed slow.

I've also had aftermarket sling swivel mounts that clamped onto the mag-tube...and put just a hair too much 'squeeze' onto the mag-tube....causing a no-feed/slow-feed..

muskeg13
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
After a mag tube explosion, I replaced the mag tube, tube cap, screw and mag spring in my .44 Mag Rossi Puma with M1892 parts from Winchester. If you have trouble locating replacement parts for Winchesters or Winchester clones, particularly for low cost parts, you may consider taking a gamble and order the parts from the "other" manufacturer. On several occasions, I've successfully used new manufactured Winchester parts in Winchester clones and clone parts in original Winchesters. While the parts may not always be drop-in interchangable, they are often close enough and can be made to work with minimal fitting.

azrednek
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
After a mag tube explosion, I replaced the mag tube, tube cap, screw and mag spring in my .44 Mag Rossi Puma with M1892 parts from Winchester. If you have trouble locating replacement parts for Winchesters or Winchester clones, particularly for low cost parts, you may consider taking a gamble and order the parts from the "other" manufacturer.

Thats exactly what I did. With the help of a friend that has some gun smithing and retail gun experience he ordered a spring listed in Brownells website as a Winchester part. Not sure of the Winchester model, he looked it up, emailed me the part number and I added it to my order with the FN parts. I haven't got around to installing it yet but I'm confident it will work.

I've also had aftermarket sling swivel mounts that clamped onto the mag-tube...and put just a hair too much 'squeeze' onto the mag-tube....causing a no-feed/slow-feed..

I made the same mistake with my 45 Colt Rossi. I ground down a plastic screw driver handle, forced it into the tube and removed the slight dent. I re-installed the swivel after removing the blueing and using black epoxy to keep it in place. I tightened up the swivel stud so it barely touched the tube. So far so good, the swivel stud hasn't come loose and the follower no longer gets hung up.

BattleRife
01-11-2013, 02:02 AM
The official service contractor for Legacy Sports is a place called Sportsworld Tulsa. Apparently they are the ones responsible for maintaining a parts inventory and performing service work on returned guns. They got me the screws I needed for a stainless M92.

mknkles
01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=a75avscoboe06onef8p0i0rpf1
Here is the link to Steve's Gunz. Apparently he is a savant on the Rossi/puma 92.
I have bought parts from Steves Gunz including DVD on polishing up the Rossi 92. Some good info, video quality was amature in places. Still worth the money.

Doc65
01-15-2013, 11:50 PM
That site is stevesgunz.com Steve Young AKA "Nate Kiowa Jones" He also does a DVD on the things that make the most difference on slicking them up yourself.

I really think the yellow plastic follower on my .44 mag is going to be an issue...There is some cowboy action gunsmith named 'Steve' who works on the Rossi's and offers some parts and up-grades.

I'm going to get a steel follower from him...maybe a plug for the extra safety. I bet he would have a spring...

I'll check and report back when I get some info....

Oops, someone beat me to it...

gbrown
01-16-2013, 12:10 AM

There was another thread on the Rossi Puma 92 and many reported that their's shot high. I had the same problem. Apparently the front/rear sight is an engineering disaster. Thanks for the info. That's why this site is so valuable/important.

Newtire
04-07-2017, 04:22 PM
The source for Rossi Puma parts is: M&M Gunsmithing, 204 South Union Street, Alexandria, Va 22314, Phone 703-739-2150 . They are the factory-authorized service center for Rossi rifles imported by LSI.

TGM
That'snotthenumberanymore!

Newtire
04-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Wrong phone # for Rossi Parts.

DerekP Houston
04-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Steve'sGunz is the source I used to slick up my 357 rossi, solid vendor.

Speedo66
04-07-2017, 07:16 PM
This place has reasonably priced parts, and only $4 postage per order.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/

Texas by God
04-08-2017, 10:05 PM
I completed a basket case 92 Win to .44 mag using Rossi Puma parts and barrel. Minimal fitting involved.

GoodOlBoy
04-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Any Winchester model 92 parts should fit a Rossi model 92 of the same caliber. The proviso I will add is that this was for the OLD model Rossi 92s that did NOT have the safety on top of the bolt. If you have that safety.... well good luck I have no idea.

Oh and don't forget to check Midwayusa they use to carry the parts as well. Dunno if they still do or not. Last time I checked was back when they still had their Vanhorn Cowboy Action Shooting catalog so.... yeah there's that...

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

Newtire
04-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Thanks all you guys for the help (as per usual). The amount of help available in this place is pretty amazing!

larrupin
04-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Another vote for Stevesgunz. Got his DVD and did the action on a really stiff Rossi 44 mag that I got cheap used, it is one of the slickest leverguns I own now, have also bought some parts from him as well, been a few years ago but was great to work with.

larrupin