PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell Red Dot sights bargain priced

Dale53
07-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I was looking in Sportsman's Guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) and noticed a Bushnell Red Dot sight for $29.97 (less with members discount). Bushnell has mostly made decent optics, so I thought, "What the hey!" and ordered a couple out. They are 1" in diameter and include a set of rings, a polarizing filter, and an extension tube. They are blued matte finish, only. I immediately put one on my Ruger SP101 4" barrel in .32 H&R. The red dot sight works extremely well. I have shot several 99x100 (dern it, can't seem to get a 100) at 25 yards, standing and that is about my personal limit, so far.

I have ordered several more of the sights and am replacing my telescope sights on my handguns. The Red Dots only weigh about half as much as a scope and are much more compact.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Sportsmans Guide (other than an occasional customer) nor with Bushnell.

The Red Dot sight is especially good for me as the SP101's rear sight is only adjustable for windage (the dot is adjustable for both windage and elevation). The 1" body also looks better on my little SP101 compared to the 30mm unit I had on it before.

Dale53

44man
07-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I have several and like them. I only had trouble with one where the front inner lens (prizm) pulled loose under heavy recoil. I steel bedded it back in and it still shoots good. For my heavy recoiling guns I switched to the Ultra Dot. The price is still great compared to some of those high priced ones that don't do anymore but are harder to mount. I really don't know how some of then can be put on a gun!
Most need a Picatinny base. Some have turrets so large they will not fit between Ruger rings and you have to spend another $50 for a Weigand base.
A lot of care has to be used when picking a red dot.
But there is nothing better for hunting. I only wish they would come up with a way to focus the dots for us geezers.

Dale53
07-02-2007, 10:22 AM
I have an Ultra Dot (the four reticule type) on a K-22 S&W, but I'll probably switch that to a heavy recoiler if I need it.

I can't speak as to how these will or will not hold up to heavy recoil (the Bushnell Red Dot). However, they do have a "life time" warranty, I believe. At any rate, I am almost ecstatic with mine. I had a cataract removed in my right eye plus retinal surgery and this left me with much reduced vision. I can focus at infinity, but it is like looking through a chain link fence. With the Red Dot sights of whatever brand, I seem to be able to focus just fine. In fact, in all truthfulness, I am, now, not limited by vision problems. I am able to do my best and have lost my best excuse[smilie=1:.

When you factor in the price, it becomes a fine choice for me.

YMMV

Dale53

44man
07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I can't focus on open sights for crap in the early morning or late evening when hunting. I never found a bright enough pistol scope either. The red dots are a godsend to us old timers. Now a green laser would work all day but are expensive and after blowing one laser to pieces on my .475, I don't trust them.
I called Bushnell about their Holo sight and they said it would NOT take the recoil. There are a lot of sights I do not trust even with the .44 with 300 gr + boolits. The Bushnell red dot can take some punishment though. And you sure can't beat the price!
The biggest problem with the cheaper ones is they just glue the lens in instead of crimping the metal tube over it. The Chinese glue sucks! It hurts when all of a sudden you can't find the dot because the lens pulled loose and shifted.
The Millet has worked good but the diode is very dim and needs turned up high to see it.
I gutted a brand new Swift 2X scope before I even got sight settings. The replacement is on my .22 for squirrels.

JerryHS
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I believe it depends on the model. I have one of the originals and I've had it on a 44 Mag, 454, BFR 45/70 and it's now on the S&W 460. I've been told the newest low profile model can't take recoil above a 44 Mag.

Jerry

Fireball 57
07-27-2007, 02:14 PM
While a trite bit expensive, I've had good luck with my Doctor reddot sight on my twentytwo target pistols. They will compensate for ambiant light and can take the recoil of a fifty caliber. Batteries last forever. Regards

Bubba w/a 45/70
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I know this is the pistol area of discussion, but I have a Bushnell "Trophy" red dot mounted on my Marlin 1895 in 45/70 and it takes everything that my shoulder can handle. I haven't had any issues with it yet, other than battery life.

Denver
08-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I just received a Bushnell Trophy red dot scope that I ordered from Amazon. They had a deal where you open a credit card account and they give you $30 off your first purchase. Free shipping also if you use the slow boat from China delivery system. Well anyway I got it yesterday and decided to check it out. Installed the battery, went to turn it on, and can't turn the turret that is marked 1-11 in either direction.:confused: Never used one of these before, so I'm not familiar with them. The instructions that came with it are rather brief, so I figure they can't be all that complicated.
If I have to send it back cause it's somehow defective, I'm gonna be really pissed. Any advice?

44man
08-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Remove the battery and see if it will turn. You might have gotten it in backwards and are binding it. There is nothing to the switch and I made a spanner to take them apart because some of my contacts got dirty. There are some tiny screws under the battery plate that maybe one is sticking up when they assembled it. I have never seen one that wouldn't turn but have had them get loose so I had to take them apart and tighten the screws.
I have taken them entirely apart, there is nothing to the whole scope. They are not sealed unless you get an expensive one. A rubber strap wrench will take them all apart. I had a wire break once and fixed it too.
If it still doesn't turn, just send it back. I have E mailed Bushnell about a broken extension ring that failed under recoil and they didn't even want the broken one back, they sent me a new one. You might try that.

Dale53
08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
One of my (I have four) was a bit hard to turn. However, I increased the force and it turned and since has become "normal". Just put a bit more force to it (don't force it, get a bigger hammer[smilie=1:).

Of course, just calling Bushnell and sending it back is probably the best thing to do if you can't move it.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Good luck!

Dale53

Denver
08-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Installed the battery according to the directions. Tried turning it with battery in and out, but it won't budge. Short of putting the vice grips on it, it ain't gonna turn I guess.
I'll try emailing Bushnell first, dont see a phone number on the paper that came with it.

Newtire
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I am glad we can post other sites & some vendor deals as on some other sites, this is Verboten! This is an interesting & informative thread to me and I am glad we are able to share the sources without censorship.

I recently purchased one of the 1X23 Sportsman model Bushnell Red Dot sights from "The Guide" and it turned out to be a real nice little sight. I had just bought a 42mm from Midway for under $40 if I remember right and it had 2-defects; it was hard to see the dot and it had a mile of parallax. This smaller Bushnell is much better but I see that this particular holographic sight is supposed to be parallax free. Just wondering if this is true with the holographic sights?

I rememjber being able to hit a floating tin can (in our days of early stupidity) with a Ruger automatic .22 pistol. Now that I wear bifocals and now that my "master eye" likes to switch back & forth, things are complicated. I see this deal

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=220751

but don't know if it is a good one & don't want to pay $300+ for some of the ones I see. Anyone have any experience with the holographic sights that don't cost an arm & a leg?

44man
08-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I have to depend on all of you when it comes to the holographic sights. I want one that will take the recoil of the .475 forever and not spend a fortune to get it. This gun is HARD on scopes, etc. I have learned not to depend on advertisements that say they take recoil.
When I went to the Ultra Dot, I called Magnum Research and asked them what to buy. I have never been sorry.
A big handgun is WAY harder on a scope of any kind then any rifle. Even my .44 has shredded stuff with heavy boolits.
The Bushnell has held up great except the one that the glass came loose on and it was an easy fix. My other 3 are still going strong and the one I fixed will now take anything I can dish out.
I do have a caution for all of you when mounting a red dot. Keep the rings away from any portion of the tube that has glass under it. I crushed a lens snugging up a ring. I put the extension on the front now and put the ring on it. I removed the broken pieces and the darn thing still works great, it was just the front glass that keeps out dirt. Yes it was one of my Bushnell's.
As all of you see, I am hard on scopes!

Dale53
08-06-2007, 01:13 AM
This is the place where I give "Kudos" to Burris Signature Rings (with the compositon inserts). This is the greatest advance in scope rings since scopes were invented. They actually have more "holding area" so you don't need to tighten them to ridiculous levels to get them to stop slipping. Plus, they are kind to scope tubes (no mar). I have seen many, many scope tubes damaged from really cranking down on the screws to try to keep the scope from slipping on the heavy recoilers.

The Burris Signature Rings do have one idiosyncrasy - they will sometimes "creep" after tightening them the initial time. The solution is simple - tighten them just barely enough and then the next day tighten them just a bit more. It is NOT necessary to really crank them down - moderation, moderation...

As you can tell, I REALLY like them. In addition to the "gentle on the scope" attribute, the available offset inserts allow you to adjust them for windage OR elevation as much as 40 minutes. Now THAT is a heck of an attribute. You will not believe how many factory guns of supposedly high quality that I have found with improperly cut dovetail mounts (.22 rimfire, etc) and holes drilled out of line. I have permanently and elegantly fixed a number with the Signature Rings.

No, I have NO affiliation with Burris (don't even wear their "T" shirt:roll:) but I sure know a good thing when I see it!

Dale53

44man
08-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Right you are Dale, However, I had not reached full tight with the ring yet, the screws were still turning easy. There is no buffer zone and the glass is right up against the outer tube. I make it a habit to stay away from the glass now. The red dot does not need to be as tight as a scope either because they are lighter and don't slip as easy. I have never had one move when just snugged normal.
The scope that I had trouble with was the original Burris 2-1/2 X 7. It was big and heavy and even 3 rings would not hold it on a .44. I tried everything, even rosin. I tried lapping the rings, tape, paper, you name it short of glass bedding. I ruined the tube. NOTHING would hold it. It still works but I use it to test lighter calibers. Looks like heck though. I think the tube is dead soft aluminum. I have a Tasco that has withstood everything and has been on a pile of guns. The tube does not have a single mark on it.
You have to base the mounting on the recoil and the weight of the scope so I always suggest, don't buy a heavy one for a hard kicking handgun. There is just too much inertia.

Junior1942
08-06-2007, 08:50 AM
When mounting a red dot or a scope remember Newton's Law about an object at rest tends to stay at rest. It especially affects a top-heavy red dot with the battery and its case on top. The recoil force on a scope/sight is opposite the recoil force on the gun. In other words, the gun recoils backwards and the scope/sight wants to stay still. The effect is like the scope/sight recoiling forward.

A red dot with the battery on top acts like a lever during recoil. If you're mounting a scout mount on a military sight base, the two side screws will be the lever's pivot point.