PDA

View Full Version : 12 gauge Hull ID

bmanis
12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Can someone tell me what hulls these are and what Data to use.

Remington-Peters 12 gauge

Which would be better for reloading with 1-1/4 oz of #4 shot??

Plus, How many reloads can I expect to get out of these?

300winmag
12-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Pm Sent

littlejack
12-28-2012, 04:47 PM
bmanis:
You need to get you one of those fine Lyman Shotshell Reloading books.
Then match your hull to the diagram that is provided in the Lyman manual. If you cannot match the hull to the diagram, or the discription given, you should not use the hull. I have split hulls (hacksaw) to match the cross-sectioned hull diagram provided in the manual. This makes identification a lot easier. One needs to know the hull wall profile, tapered or straight. Also, the internal base WAD height is very important to match up. (Not the high brass, or low brass outside.)
Jack

shotman4
12-29-2012, 04:03 AM
there is 2 different base wads. so load data is not same and wads are not going to work same
the green has no base wad it even with the primer,the black has a curved fiber that primer is just even with the bottom of the curved part

bmanis
12-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I had a very informative phone conversation with 300winmag that helped point me in the right direction. I also have ordered a Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual that should be delivered in a couple of days. I have a few buckets full of older hulls so I am trying to gather wads to match the hulls. Once I get 12 gauge underway, I will start with the 16 or 20 gauge.

Bmanis