PDA

View Full Version : Carbine-rings

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I'll start off with the fact that I really like carbine-rings...they look cool on a Winchester/Winchester clone carbine.

OK..now I'll say that I hate 'em from a practical standpoint. They rattle and flop around...wear the receiver finish...have the potential to scare off game(my main issue)..I have tended to buy lever-guns that are ringless for these reasons.

To the point; I've seen pics of guns with the ring wound with thin leather thong....I want to do something similiar to my 'new' Browning 1886 carbine.

I have a leather thong lashed to my big carbine's ring 'Red Ryder' style. This works to a degree...but has problems of it's own. For one thing..if you leave the ends too long the leather can interfere with the Browning's mechanics(it does look cool though). Also just having a length of leather tied on doen't completely prevent the ring contacting the receiver. Basicaly I just need to wrap my ring!

While I've seen pics of wrapped saddle-rings...I find no destructions online to aid me in doing so. Does anyone know how to wrap-up a saddle-ring in a neat manner??

Thanx..Rag

fouronesix
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Have done it on a couple of mine. Quiets the clanking and prevents owl eyes. Nothing fancy. The key to a neat job is using high quality, thin leather lacing material. Just start the wrap with an overlap of one of the tag ends by 2-3 of the loops (it will stay hidden under the loops). Wrap tight for maybe 1/2 +/- the circumference of the ring. For the second tag end insert big lacing needle or thin scribe or something similar under last 2-3 of loops. Push or feed second tag end through and pull tight with pliers. Snip this tag end close and it should about disappear under the loops. If not worried about removing ring from receiver (marring etc. on original), remove the ring and stud. Doing the job with ring and stud in a vise is easier. You can add some shellac if desired to keep it from loosening over time. A lot of the CAS shooters do these things to loops. But I've noticed that sometimes the braided work is a little on the bulky side. But they do it for a different reason- mainly to cushion the fingers for rapid cycling of the loop.

pietro
12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
I have a leather thong lashed to my big carbine's ring 'Red Ryder' style. This works to a degree...but has problems of it's own - just having a length of leather tied on doen't completely prevent the ring contacting the receiver.

FWIW, None of my saddle rings rattle, "flop around", or have marked/worn the side of the receiver/finish - most likely because I tied on a thong made from a length of leather boot lace, which is thick enough to hold the metal ring off the receiver surface in any position it may happen to be.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Pete44ru/DSCN0490.jpg

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
FWIW, None of my saddle rings rattle, "flop around", or have marked/worn the side of the receiver/finish - most likely because I tied on a thong made from a length of leather boot lace, which is thick enough to hold the metal ring off the receiver surface in any position it may happen to be.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Pete44ru/DSCN0490.jpg

This is exactly what I've already done...my leather being a bit of leather shoelace and maybe a bit flexible...plus too long. It can get between the lever and wrist holding the gun's lever from battery...can also get caught up in the hammer/bolt interaction. It doesn't look very cool trimmed off short...and as long as pictured..can cause problems.

I want to wrap it as described above..and now I got some basic destructions for doing it. I'll try this in a bit

OuchHot!
12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
pietro, what rear sight is that on your 1886? Do you like it?
thanks

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I think that's a 94/22XTR OuchHot..is a cool sight.

Went to town and got two different brands leather shoelace...and tried to wrap my ring...I'm horrible at it..back to the 'Red Ryder' thong cut shorter for now.

I'll try it again after I recover fully from the first failure...

double8
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
My 1926 .32 Special SRC ring has a short length of rawhide attached.....no noise, no wear marks.

fouronesix
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Ragnarok,
Here's some thin leather on an old M1894 SRC. Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of ?

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeh yeh...That's the wrap I want !!

fouronesix
12-28-2012, 10:09 PM
OK,
The leather I use is thin and supple. It is about .04" x .10". If you can't find ready made leather lace material that works, you could just take some thin, soft leather or even chamois and cut a strip about a foot long with a pair of sharp scissors. The thick or stiff stuff that is square in cross section will be very hard to wrap around the thin wire of the ring. You can easily go farther around the ring if desired.

Ragnarok
12-28-2012, 10:26 PM
The leather I have is shoelace stuff...1/8" square in cross section.

I went to a tack store and looked at the leather straps and such there this afternoon...they had stuff heavy-duty enough to make a lift-sling for an elephant...but nothing thin.

I have an old pair of boots I save for leather...I'll inspect to see if I can mine some thinner leather off them...maybe one of my wife's old purses (she'll never know)...

Combat Diver
12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Another thought instead of leather use a plastic dip on the ring. That would deaden the sound and prevent wear. The carbine ring has reintroduced itself with the military and cilivian contractors in the last 10 yrs. Its called the single loop system used on ARs today. Serves the same purpose except we ride inside armored wagons instead of riding the horse.

CD

junkbug
12-29-2012, 01:06 PM
You can also try artificial sinew. It should be sold in hobby and craft stores, and comes in a spool. It is used for stiching buck skin and suede.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=artifical+sinew&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=18270128317&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=21463465201016691036&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_2xyfpesalc_b

Good luck.

MT Gianni
12-30-2012, 01:39 AM
I used black tape cut in 1/4" wide strips. Nearly invisible and cheap.

pietro
12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
The sight on that Winchester 9422XTR-M is a New England Custom Gun (NECG) clip-on.

FWIW, I cut all my saddle ring thongs to that same length (besides the 9422, a Winchester 94 Trapper, a Henry .22 & a Marlin 336), and have yet to have one catch on a lever, bottom link or hammer - either on the firing range or while hunting/shooting.

The bootlaces I use, though, are new, and not very supple/flexible - which most likely helps keep them out of trouble.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0502.jpg

saint_iverson
12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
So I am still wondering as to what this little device was intended for. I can assume a quick attach of some sort, but for the era of saddles and holsters, it seems a little under designed.

Ragnarok
12-30-2012, 11:21 PM
So I am still wondering as to what this little device was intended for. I can assume a quick attach of some sort, but for the era of saddles and holsters, it seems a little under designed.

It's a cavalry thing..for fighting on horseback. You have a cool sling with a single hook for the carbine ring. You wear it over your shoulder(left) and under your shooting arm(right). It's long enough you can shoot the gun, yet if your horse drops from underneath you..your still attached to your carbine. Essentialy a lanyard for a carbine..most cavalry carbines of the day had one.

pietro
12-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Junior Doherty makes/sells sadle ring slings in camo or blaze orange

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel1.jpg

Ziptar
01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
A while back I came across a couple of the old screw in saddle rings that replace the take down knob on Marlin 39's that Uncle Mike's used to make. I finally put one on my 39M because I thought it just added to the overall "Plink-ishness" of the rifle along with the case. There is absolutley no practicality to it but, it just makes me grin :-D

TXGunNut
01-07-2013, 12:52 AM
I used black tape cut in 1/4" wide strips. Nearly invisible and cheap.

Just remember to replace it every 3-4 years as the adhesive breaks down. I use it to quiet sling swivels as well.