PDA

View Full Version : .32-40 with gas check or without???

srk
12-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi
I cast for other single shot rifles, but have trouble getting bullets for my .32-40.
I usually shoot the 170 gr gas check bullet from RCBS, but all my equipment is Lyman.
I was wondering if anyone shoots the Lyman 165 grain flat base bullet, and which do you prefer.
According to Lyman their bullet is preferred by the BPCRa shooters over the gas check one.
Any help??
Thanks
Sean

rhbrink
12-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Are you shooting fixed? What's your twist? I have a friend that is shooting fixed and he bought that bullet it is way too small the base measures .318. I think that he went to the Saeco #632 and is doing OK. Some people to check with would be Buffalo Arms they carry a lot of molds and may be able to help you. Also SingleShotRifles.com might be able to help you.

I have some 215 grain plain base made for breech seating but you need a 14" twist and then push them to 1400 fps + to keep them stabil at 200 yards. Mine measure .322 at the base and are slightly tapered.

RB

fa38
12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
If you are shooting for your own pleasure either gas check or plain base will work. If you are going to shoot in ASSRA or ISSA matches the bullets have to be plain based.

Plain based 165 grain to 190 grain bullets should work in 16 twist barrels at 1550 fps or a bit slower with no leading. Bullets up to 220 grains should work in a 14 twist barrel.

lotech
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
I've used both bullets you mentioned in a Browning / Winchester 1885 reproduction. The RCBS gas check bullet, of course, shoots better at higher velocity, but the Lyman does quite well cast from wheelweight alloy at lower velocities. 2" groups at 100 yards are not difficult to obtain when using loads like 21 grains of Hodgdon 4895 (1370 fps). Above about 1,450 - 1,500 fps, leading and inaccuracy become problems. A harder alloy would likely cure the matter but I haven't experimented in this area.

John Boy
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Sean, regardless of the bullet caliber and manufacturer, the base of a lead bullet must be protected to provide proper obturation in the grooves of the barrel. When the velocity is greater than approximately 1600fps or higher, the base has to be protected with either a harder alloy or a gas check when primarily shooting smokeless powders.

The reason "BPCR shooters have a preference", which is not a fact, is because they load black powder and the velocity of their reloads do not exceed these high velocities requiring a GC. But they do use wads of many different materials to protect the base of their bullets

PS: I am a BPCR shooter predominately and cast - shoot bullets in calibers from 22LR to 50-70 from nearly all the mold manufacturers ... loaded with BP.

As for my favorite 32-40 lead bullets - one can't beat the old Ideal long bearing surface ones designed for breech and fixed cartridge designed by Doc Hudson at the turn of the century. The same goes for his 38-55 bullet designs and the Ideal 375166

Reverend Al
02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I've been using a 165 grain FNPB bullet cast from an old Rapine mould that shoots like magic in my old SS Ballard and a Winchester High Wall. I load them fairly light for target purposes rather than any sort of "high performance". Between 10 and 12 grains of 2400 works best for me ...