PDA

View Full Version : Got a start

DeanoBeanCounter
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
[smilie=1: OK. I've got a small start into making boolets. The better half and I went to a buffalo ranch a ways south of Salt Lake City yesterday, picked out a two year old bull to harvest come November. It's about time we did this, she's been bugging me for years to get a buffalo. Anyway, while we were paying for some meat I saw a pile of lead laying on the ground. I asked the guy if he made his own boolets. He said no he didn't have time so I could have it if I wanted it. After I picked myself off the ground, I loaded what must have been 25 pounds of lead into my trunk. It's flat with some sticky stuff on one side. I can scratch it with my thumb nail. So I guess it's pretty pure. Now all I need is everything else to go with the lead. Oh well, it's a start. :drinks:
Deano

wills
07-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Are you going to find a boolit you like and a rifle to fit it, or a rifle you like and a boolit to fit it?

DeanoBeanCounter
07-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm
[smilie=1:

wills
07-01-2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.lonestarrifle.com/images/300buffalo.gif
Buffalo Rifle

45nut
07-02-2007, 12:00 AM
that certainly fits the image iin my mind when I hear "buffalo rifle":Fire:

Fireball 57
07-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Wills: That "Thumper" looks like an elephant equalizer! It's a beauty!

NVcurmudgeon
07-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Deano, that's an excellent way to begin building toward a full involvement in castng. Of course, pure lead is mostly useful in muzzle loaders. Next you need some WW and some tin, something to melt it in, a heat source, ingot moulds, etc. Then it's time to begn thinking of a rifle so that you can make efficient use of the alloy you have. There's no looking back after you pick up that first piece of lead. Don't laugh, my first piece of anything .44 was an RCBS mould. Naturally that lead to another mould, a set of dies, a Dillon Square Deal conversion in .44 Magnum, a Marlin Cowboy rifle, and a S&W M629. Now working on the same strategy in .22 Hornet. So far I have dies, shellholder, scope, rings, and saving toward a rifle. My wife is amused by my clever plots.