PDA

View Full Version : Value of an old Lyman Comet Press?

chp5
12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi - first post here. I do all my reloading on a Dillon 550B and an XL 650.

I also have an old Lyman Comet single stage press. It looks exactly like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-All-American-Comet-Reloading-Press-NOS-in-box-Uses-J-Shell-Holders-/271127259443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2071a933

I'm looking to trade it and was wondering what's a fair trade value. The eBay price seems high to me, but just don't have any idea.

Thanks for your input!

waksupi
12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
This isn't your Ebay auction or store, is it?

chp5
12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
This isn't your Ebay auction or store, is it?

nope, not mine - found it with a Google search when looking for a trade value.

It looks just like mine though, except I don't have a box. I believe Lyman also made a "Comet" model that had a turret too, but I could be wrong.

3006guns
12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
The Lyman Comet was a moderate priced single stage press when it was new, designed for beginners back in the good old days of cast iron. To me, it's worth perhaps twenty bucks IF I needed another press for, say, priming or reloading one specific caliber. Now, that's just MY cheap outlook on things because Lyman made thousands of them and they used to show up at gun shows and were sold for door stops..........or the occasional low budget beginner who needed a press.

But then again..........

Most reloading gear sold on Ebay has shot up in price during the last few years.......not because of a sudden interest in reloading but because of Mr. Obama's presence in the White House. I've noticed after the last election the prices REALLY got crazy so if you wanted to sell that press on Ebay now's the time. I still think most of the older presses are collector's items these days (I have a few) but they're not worth some of the prices I see.

LUBEDUDE
12-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the forum chp5.

I think 3006 is in the ballpark. I am not a buyer, nor trying to set a price, just telling what I have seen them go for. $20-30 seems to be average. Of course condition is everything. Which is why the example posted is so high, or rather too high. It has been for sale for some time now. Of course it it is very nice with all of the priming gear and a nice box which seems rare. And then again, all it takes in an auction is two buyers and you are off and running.

Good Luck

chp5
12-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I currently only load handgun calibers, but plan to start loading for rifles. For $30 or so, I might just keep it for priming rifle brass. The press is really solid and seems to weigh around 15-20 lbs.

Bent Ramrod
12-27-2012, 06:13 PM
The Comet press took the "J"-type shell holders that were used in the Tru-Line Jr. turret press. The snap-in type can't be used in the Comet.

I think the E-Bay seller is trading on the new condition and the original box. Still rather steep, though.

chp5
12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
The Comet press took the "J"-type shell holders that were used in the Tru-Line Jr. turret press. The snap-in type can't be used in the Comet.

Thanks BR. Can you still buy the J-Type shell holders?

LUBEDUDE
12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
J-Type shell holders can be found regularly. Usually in the Lyman section of reloading.

Pavogrande
12-28-2012, 01:24 AM
I think rcbs or perhaps CH sells an adapter from J to button --

1hole
12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
"The eBay (asking) price seems high to me, but just don't have any idea."

"Collectors" pay astonishing prices for old stuff, especially if it's still in the box, and there's no rational way to guess what a collector will pay for anything. What eBay buyers will give for anything is wild but they do prove that some people will greatly over pay when they appear to have no idea of the current prices of new stuff.

The Comet press was as good as most in it's time but that time has long passed. As a user tool, I would prefer one of Lee's inexpensive little "Reloader" presses than the old Comet. The Lees are just as strong, use easy to find shell holders and they handle spent primers MUCH better.

chp5
12-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Here's what mine looks like. Much more used than the one on eBay. The primer rod is kind of buggered up - see the second pic.