PDA

View Full Version : "multi-Scale" Charge bars

rtracy2001
12-27-2012, 01:19 AM
http://multiscalecharge.com/index.php

So, I have an older model adjustable charge bar from these folks that came with my used Sizemaster press. Unfortunately the guide sheet was missing, so setting up the powder charge is a real PIA. I use the new settings (that are available on the website, but not in a good printable format :evil:) as a starting point and then spend about 30 minutes in an "adjust, measure, repeat" cycle. Add in the fact that the adjusting knobs are on the end of the charge bar and tend to move if you push on the end of the bar to slide it, and you have a recipe for disaster IMO.

My questions are: has anyone had any better luck with these things? Can you recommend the newer version, or should I just spring for the MEC charge bars and bushings?

shotman4
12-27-2012, 03:09 AM
they have made changes to them. How old is the one you have? the newer ones have a plastic insert in bottom. That tends to keep things some what tighter. You also have a thin brass washer that goes on top UNDER the black rubber seal. The brass washer is curved and curve goes toward the bar.
This wil make bar snug. there is a very small allen screw in face near the knob. that is to lock the bar once you get the amount set.
Getting the powder to right amount is not hard BUT you need to do the slide the same way everytime.
I make it click with a firm slide BOTH ways. It will drop uniform everytime
If you are missing parts Look up Mayville Engineering that is mec. They dont make the bar but do have the bushings
If you want a copy I have some as I have the bars on 5 presses

rtracy2001
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
The bar is quite old. I picked the press up at an estate sale, and it looks like the po was loading lead shot for ducks. The charge bar is plastic with aluminum inserts. I will look for the set screws to lock the adjustment. The concave washer was included, but jams every time and locks the charge bar, so I took it out. Still have it though.

Maybe I just need to buy a new one?

sargenv
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
I've been using these bars since the mid 80's.. My first bar finally seized up on me and I needed to replace it. I have 3 of these bars in my various single stage and progressive machines.. the new ones do seem to be built a bit better.. to aid in keeping the bar happy, I applied a little bit of grease to the center adjustment screw so it slides a bit easier in and out when adjusting powder and shot.

rtracy2001
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I took a good close look at the bar this afternoon and noticed the following:

The set screws that lock the adjustment are actually in the adjusting knobs and clamp own on the threaded adjusting rod.

The adjuster rod on the powder side has some stiff spots (probably from the set screw crushing the threads).

The adjuster knob is held into the bar by two "L" shaped brackets that engage a groove in the adjuster knob.

There is wear on the adjuster knob. So even with the set screw locked down, the size of the powder chamber can change.

I think it is time for a new charge bar. From the sound of it, I should stick with the adjustable bar, just get a new one.

shotman4
12-27-2012, 11:19 PM
that is an OLD one yes the plactic was a problem
call the companey and they MAY give you good deal on a new one. Maybe a free one
Multiscales ? or something close

mtgrs737
12-28-2012, 12:26 AM
I have and use the UCB and really like them. If you are having issues with the old one that you have I would buy a new one as they are much cheaper than a bunch of bars and bushings and you can dial them in. Midwayusa has them on sale right now for $38.

ROGER4314
01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
I had one of the bars years ago and it had numbers cast into the knobs. You could take the furnished chart, open the sliding chamber and set the number on the knob and that would get you in the ball park. Of course, you weigh the final settings of powder and shot.

Unfortunately, there was a design change where numbers on the knob are applied on an adhesive strip that keeps coming unstuck and peeling off. Worse, printed numbers on the strip wear off from simple touching in a hurry! Losing those numbers means that the entire chart to get you in the ballpark is useless. I called the company and they sent me some new number strips but I'm back in the same mess, now.

Those universal charge bars are a great idea but they redesigned them and made their system useless. It's not clear how much money they saved by going to these adhesive number strips but it sure screwed up a great product! I'll simply use them as an "adjust and weigh" mode, now.

Flash

ToysRUs
02-03-2013, 03:30 AM
I'm glad this came up.
I picked up one of these last week and thought it was a great idea to dial in charges while working on low recoil slugs.
The problem is I am getting over 1 full grain deviation on my charges...
I'm trying to get it to drop 21 grains of Green Dot and it dropping anywhere from 21.7 to 20.3. That changes my fps by about 200. That is the difference between the gun cycling or not.
I saw the post about sliding the bar the same every time but are there any other suggestions???

sargenv
02-25-2013, 08:24 PM
If it's exact you want, then the RCBS, Lyman, or other powder tricklers with the scale are the way to go... otherwise I have better consistency using ball powders over flake.. It seems the tinier the granule, the more consistent it seems to be.