PDA

View Full Version : Full bore 20 gauge help

pastorcurtis
12-26-2012, 11:59 PM
I've read as many of the threads on this topic as I can find here at castboolits - and many thanks to all the folks who have put up so much great information!

I'm left with a few questions (and please excuse any that are stoooopid questions).

1. It looks like the only option for a full bore slug in 20 gauge is a custom mold from Accurate Molds or Mountain Man Molds. Is that right?

2. I've loaded a few thousand rounds for handgun calibers, but never any shotgun loads of any kind. If I were to use a slug like this from AM (http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=62-425S-D.png) what kind of hull and wad would I use?

Veering into what I fear is stupid question territory...

3. I take it that the MagTech brass cases are not really capable of modern smokeless powder loads. Are there any brass cases that could be used? As I was reading all the threads on this topic, one thing that came up over and over again was finding the right wad. I kept thinking: why not a full length brass case and a taper crimp?

4. That slug has lube grooves - would I pan lube it as I do my handgun boolits?

Thanks,
pastorcurtis

Blammer
12-27-2012, 12:26 PM
the issue I've discovered with brass cases is, there is no real "sizing die" available to make it fit my particular firearm. Too expensive for custom on a "chance" it may work.

I pan lube mine.

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/

has one 20ga slug mould you may be interested in.

You'll just have to experiment with different hulls to find out what works best for you. I find the AA 20ga hulls to work the best for me.

I just use a gas seal in the bottom and nitro cards above that to get the height correct for crimping.

Carryacolt
12-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Check with Turbo1889. He has that mold, or dam close to it, and he sells the slugs. Get a few and see how they work in your gun.

BAGTIC
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Use round balls. Lubing isn't needed. RB have very little bore contact and swage to fit barrel diameter very easily. RB weigh about 350 grains and can be loaded to .45-70 levels though they slow down quickly so doen't hold up for far. Should be good for at least 75 yards if you can keep them on target.

epanzella
02-27-2013, 08:44 PM
I've read as many of the threads on this topic as I can find here at castboolits - and many thanks to all the folks who have put up so much great information!

I'm left with a few questions (and please excuse any that are stoooopid questions).

1. It looks like the only option for a full bore slug in 20 gauge is a custom mold from Accurate Molds or Mountain Man Molds. Is that right?

2. I've loaded a few thousand rounds for handgun calibers, but never any shotgun loads of any kind. If I were to use a slug like this from AM (http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=62-425S-D.png) what kind of hull and wad would I use?

Veering into what I fear is stupid question territory...

3. I take it that the MagTech brass cases are not really capable of modern smokeless powder loads. Are there any brass cases that could be used? As I was reading all the threads on this topic, one thing that came up over and over again was finding the right wad. I kept thinking: why not a full length brass case and a taper crimp?

4. That slug has lube grooves - would I pan lube it as I do my handgun boolits?

Thanks,
pastorcurtis

This thread is a few months old so I don't know if you've resolved your issue but I just ordered that very mold (62-425S) from Accuratemolds. I have a 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter and it slugs out at .627 in. I ordered my mold sized to drop #2 Lyman alloy at .629 - .6305 in. I don't have any load data yet but if you're still interested I'll keep you posted when I take delivery and send some lead downrange.
Ed P

jason f
03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
This thread is a few months old so I don't know if you've resolved your issue but I just ordered that very mold (62-425S) from Accuratemolds. I have a 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter and it slugs out at .627 in. I ordered my mold sized to drop #2 Lyman alloy at .620 - .6305 in. I don't have any load data yet but if you're still interested I'll keep you posted when I take delivery and send some lead downrange.
Ed P

I got the same mold but ordered it at 628 with ww lead. I have only shot it at 50 yards so far and it looks promising with 33 grains blue dot from my h&r ush. I also have the 700 grain 12 gauge mold that I ordered at 733 diameter. I shoot it with 40 grains blue dot out of h&r ush.

epanzella
03-02-2013, 11:17 AM
I got the same mold but ordered it at 628 with ww lead. I have only shot it at 50 yards so far and it looks promising with 33 grains blue dot from my h&r ush. I also have the 700 grain 12 gauge mold that I ordered at 733 diameter. I shoot it with 40 grains blue dot out of h&r ush.
Good to get a starting point. BTW, I had a typo in my post. I ordered my mold to throw #2 alloy @ .629 to .6305, not .620 to .6305 like my post said before I corrected it. My mold is on the way but my Lee 20 lb electric ladle pot is backordered. I do have a 100 lb pot I made from well casing for doing 20 oz bank sinkers but it's kinda clumbsy for bullets. I'm jonesing to get casting those 20 ga slugs.