PDA

View Full Version : Making soft nose boolits( lee 310 44cal)

gutpile
12-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I have de-tempered the noses of heat treated WW sweetened with touch of Lino in rifle loads
(tried the 2 part pouring deal and was never happy) I wonder of de-tempering the nose of the Lee 310 gr 44 cal? would it help or hurt when used in a rifle at say 1000-1200 fps for whitetails or am i overthinking it?\
i used a propane torch to de-temper 160 gr 30 cal standing in water before sizing or lubing and they are deavastating on rabbit head shots using an SKS with 8 grains unique. so I am wondering if it would help the big metplat Lee 310 44cal ...............

Gutpile

Wolfer
12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
I personally think with that meplat at 1200 fps you won't need any expansion. However you can shoot a pretty soft alloy at that speed with a gas check and probably get some expansion.
My alloy I shoot in everything is 1WW/2PB with a touch of tin. I run this to 1700 fps in my rifles and get good expansion with no leading.

44man
12-27-2012, 08:23 AM
My 310 Lee is the most accurate at 1316 fps so that is always where I shoot it. I use water dropped WW metal and the meplat alone does super on deer. I suppose I have killed more deer with the .44 then any other revolver without a single loss and huge blood trails. Deer seldom make 30 yards.
I have never found any need for expansion because I have seen too much meat damage just the way it is.
Now if I was shooting it faster like from a .444, I would soften it.
If you find accuracy at 1200 fps, it will work just fine if hard.
The boolit just needs spun up for the best accuracy.

MT Gianni
12-28-2012, 12:43 AM
That boolit drops Buffalo with out the need for expansion or hardening.

44man
12-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Darn thing will kill about anything walking! The .44 is always my go to gun because it is so easy to hit with. The big calibers have to be held too specific because of recoil and barrel rise. After shooting thousands of .475's and JRH's, the .44 is a pleasure.
But the .44 can still do damage with a hard boolit. Here is one example. I sure do not want a soft boolit!

gutpile
12-29-2012, 12:03 AM
wow I will just cast with ACWW......LOL overthinking it

1Shirt
01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
It is really easy to over think a lot of issues with cast boolits and loading/shooting proceedures. Have always kind of liked the ole yankee saying; "If it works, don't fix it!" Lots of times we who cast and are looking for the "ULTIMATE" what ever results with cast are trying to fix what ain't broke. I have no problem with softening noses of long rifle boolits, but with the bigger cals (40 and up) designed mostly for handgun, w/big flat noses, think we are just waisting our time.
1Shirt!