PDA

View Full Version : 1873 2nd Model Rebuild Update

missionary5155
12-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Greetings from cold blizzardly state of ILL.
Just about finished with this rescue. If a 30 mph wind was not swirling the meeger 28 degrees of blowing snow I would be out flipping the lever. Pictures should let you see what this #2 1873 is now. Started with a barrel and receiver. Not a safe queen and has all the personality of an old trooper you could ever want.
Built between 1878 and 1881. Biggest clue are the bolt holes where the dustcover rail should be.
Receiver still lacks the two side screws for the lower tang which I am working on. (Middle hole of the 3 holes at hammer area.)
The forearm end cap is another issue. It turns out I have a special order extra heavy octagon barrel. The standard large bore octagon endcap will not work (I have one of those). So when a friend who has a nice mill returns we will get that last chore done milling a standard large bore round barrel end cap . This type is not rare.
Bore is a beautiful .434 consistent muzzle to breech. Rifle weights a full 10 pounds. Cycles like an old Winchester slick and smooth. Pops primers faithfully. Loads and ejects like it never missed a day.
Found in my sight box a nice old tang sight (Marbles) that blended in nicely. Wood is a bit rough but again blends right in.
Maybe tomorrow will be a bit less windy.
Mike in ILL

Marvin S
12-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Some nice figure on the butt stock, I like the whole rig.

Reg
12-26-2012, 09:34 PM
You are all but there and are you ever going to have one nice old rifle !!!!!!!!

:Fire:

Don 3
12-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Did you manage to use the old stocks? They were in bad shape. When I got this it was a kids toy, just barrel, receiver, lever and hammer with the stocks held on some way, you have done a great job and I am glad you are the one who got it, for 30 years it sat on a shelf and I never did anything with it, thats when I decided it was time to let it go.

Don3

missionary5155
12-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Good morning Bill
I have read that OP several times and missed that little feature... should have stated .434.
Found some further info on the Extra Heavy Octagon barrels. Some were attached to special order target rifles which left factory with custom sights and set triggers. Maybe this one was of that breed but all I had was the receiver and barrel to start with so all the other parts are long gone. No matter I hope just one day above 30 gets here without wind before I have to pull the stock off this and wrap it in motor oil and wax paper.
Mike in ILL

missionary5155
12-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Greetings Bill
I have heard and once read that reamer comment. Also read that another possible account was Winchester did not ever want to have a rifle / carbine returned due to failure to feed with a fouled BP chamber.
Have 3 1892 44-40's and all have the same fat throat, large groove condition. But once you know what you are up against and have a couple fat molds on hand life is very much more agreeable with the old Winchesters. Bought a .434 NEI 240 grainer some years back that works great. They sure are good shooting and carry about tools. Although I will say a heavy octagon barrel added about 2 extra pounds to the pachage.
Me and the wife are looking at N.M. for our future home if Peru ever desides to carry through with the "No American" policy. We received an anouncement the order is on the commi president desk and 15 January should be a definative decision.
Mike in ILL

KirkD
12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
The receiver appears to have been originally colour case hardened. Hard to tell from the photos, but the nickel-like appearance around the sheltered areas suggest it had a case hardened receiver, which would make it rare. The nice wood, extra heavy barrel and case hardened receive might make that a pretty valuable rifle as long as you don't refinish it.

missionary5155
12-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Good morning KirkD
As long as I am the owner/shooter it will soldier on in "as is condition". I have become very attached to that old crusty look. About all the "cleanup" I do to the exterior is rub it down with penetrating oil everytime another pit starts showing any issue of red ooze. Other than that it is just my fingers and a motor oil rag that will wipe it down off and on.
Mike in ILL

KirkD
12-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Glad to hear it, Mike. That is a beautiful looking honest old rifle that has a lot of Whitetail deer under its belt. I love that figuring in the buttstock wood.

My original '73 44-40 has a groove diameter of .432". The biggest bullet I can chamber with Winchester brass is .430, so I use soft cast bullets (custom Accurate Mould GC, 200 grains) over 17.7 grains of Accurate 5744 plus cotton filler for 1,301 fps and get five shot groups of around 2" or less at 100 yards.