PDA

View Full Version : thumlers question.

Catsmith
12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Santa brought me a thumlers rotary tumbler and ssmedia. man this is amazing.

my question is how to dry and not get spots on that pretty brass?

blikseme300
12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I use a 2-step method.

After separating the media from the brass I pour the brass into a cotton pillow slip. I then shake the brass around in the slip for a minute to get rid of any excess water. The brass is ten placed in a deep fry basket and into a food dehydrator. An hour of hot air will leave the brass dry and shiny. BTW - my dehydrator is a SS unit with a fan and will get above 200*. A convection oven will also work.

Circuit Rider
12-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Catsmith, what are you using in the water to clean the brass? I only use 3 pounds of SS pins with about 200 pieces of 308 brass, cover with water about 1 inch above the brass, add 1 heaping tablespoon of citric acid powder and a few squirts of lemi- shine. I tumble it about 1 1/2 hours and it comes out shiny. By the way, take the rubber insert out and spray the inside of the tumbler with undercoating. Saw where someone else did that on this site to keep the inside of the tumbler from rusting. I empty most of the water without losing any pins, then empty it all in my Frankford Arsenal separator to let the pins drop to the bottom of the bucket then let the brass air dry. CR

Catsmith
12-26-2012, 07:46 PM
been using a drizzle of dawn and a 9mm case of lemonshine. comes out shiney in about 3 hours. i have air dried one batch, dlow dried one, stuck one in a pie plate and set on top of the oven. they are pretty but i noticed some water spots on the first batch.

have to use the dawn cause i deprime first and the lube holds the black on the case without enough dawn. trying to find the easiest and quickest way.

rollmyown
12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I rinse 'em in the drum twice then after going through the media separator pour brass onto a clean towel. Towel dry them off. Hair dry them if you want to load em now or an oven on it's lowest setting for 1/2 an hour. A hot car will also dry them quick.