PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4 - Out-of-Control Flow Problem

gravely
12-26-2012, 11:16 AM
My Lee Pro-4 20 lb pot has given me reasonably good service for several years and then it got out of adjustment and poured 20 lbs of lead out in a continuous stream. Despite my frantic adjustments I could not stop it and it created a hell of a mess. I had a safe table top with protective bumper so I was not in danger of getting hurt but it was a real PIA to get the mountain of lead off the bottom of the pot. So, I cleaned it up and and put just a little bit of lead in to test and adjust the flow control and things seemed to be working OK although it wanted to either pour too fast or not at all. Once I filled it up with a full load of lead, the flow was better as there was less lead in the pot starting around 75% of capacity. I ran through a full pot of lead and then on the second pot the out-of-control flow happened again. I noticed that the valve cleaning rod seemed to be raised too high and out of its proper place in the valve and by moving it laterally I was able to reseat it and stop the continuous flow. Does this mean something is broken in my pot? I would appreciate any advice or tips on how to fix this problem

archer
asheville,nc

Charlie Two Tracks
12-26-2012, 01:41 PM
As you probably know, the rod that stops the flow of lead has to have the adjusting screw in that ground out slot at the top of the rod. I've had mine come out of there and then there is no control. I've also had the two screws that hold the lifting lever come loose and that caused the problems you describe also. I do not trust my pot when there is melted lead in it. My Lee pot has worked for a few years now but I got what I paid for. You just have to check that main rod to see why it does not go down to seal. I know some have clamped a small vice grip on the top of the rod for added weight.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-26-2012, 01:41 PM
It sound like you may have some build up that is interfering with your valve. Have you ever cleaned the pot, or even the valve hole and assembly, in its years of service?

Charlie Two Tracks
12-26-2012, 01:48 PM
I forgot this part. You can take the bottom pour spout off. It just has a nut holding it to the pot. Maybe the bottom of the pot or spout got bent. See if you can see if the alignment of the rod and spout is about right.

snuffy
12-26-2012, 09:49 PM
As said, check the 2 screws that guide the sheet metal strap that the handle/knob is on. If the bottom one gets loose, it can allow the strap to get above the shoulder on that screw. This holds the valve open, unless you put enough force downward on the valve rod to bend the strap metal.

Also, as said above, if the edge of the flow adjusting screw slips out of the cut in the top of the valve rod, it won't put ANY pressure on the valve rod. That valve rod is steel, which floats quite well in molten lead, it floats away from it's seat in the spout.

Crud in the bottom of the spout will make it leak, usually just drips, not a full flow. But a good clean-up would be something to try, to eliminate drips.

tomme boy
12-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Once you get the pot flowing like you want it to, take a small hose clamp and tighten it around the rod and the adjuster screw. It will never pop out again.

Tonto
12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
My relatively new pot of the same variety did something today it's never done, the adjustment screw that controls the flow rod was moving on its own changing the rate of flow. The screw is staked so removing it and replacing will be a little trickier. These pots are a tinkerers dream but for the money, I've had good luck over the years. Complete evacuation events are exciting, that's for sure. I suspect all Lee pot owners experience one sooner or later. Hose clamp tip is great.

snuffy
12-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Once you get the pot flowing like you want it to, take a small hose clamp and tighten it around the rod and the adjuster screw. It will never pop out again.

My very old 4-20 had the screw that adjusts flow get worn in the threads enough so it slipped out often. I took a chunk of tag wire, wrapped it around the screw and valve rod, twisted it until tight. VIOLA! it never slipped again! I could still adjust it, was just tight enough to keep it where it belonged, but not so tight it would prevent it from turning.

I just rebuilt that pot, so the new screw, strap, valve rod, and new spout have returned it to like new condition.

gravely
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Problem Solved! I drained the pot and was surprised to see that the valve drain was clear of debris and the control rod in good shape. I disassembled the flow control arm and discovered that the top screw somehow had 2 of the sleeves rather than one which distorted its operation. Now it doesn't leak and the flow is perfect. Amazing! thanks for your responses.

-archer