PDA

View Full Version : Loaded a little ammo for the brit.

Jack Stanley
12-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been fooling with loads for the number one MkIII and since I got a friend coming over to shoot in a few days It seemed a good idea to have ammo to shoot . This rifle still tends to like Unique and mild loads regardless of bullets size for the most part .

Worked on a new trick for ammo that will benefit all the rounds I load for . I went and bought a Bench-source annealing machine . I didn't have any Tempilaq for the trial run of the machine so I tried to keep the time in the fire very brief . With two torches running it doesn't take much and color change didn't go very far below the shoulder . I'm sure this will beat doing seven hundred cases (or more ) using the old twirl in the fingers method I was using .

I'm still thinking I'd like to load my cast bullet rifle ammo on the Dillon . I do need to see if they offer a powder through expander which would make things a bunch easier . I got visions of ammo cans full of cast loads dancing in my head :mrgreen:

Jack

JeffinNZ
12-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Keep annealing them necks and the brass will last for ever. I have 1942 DI V brass that has been shot more times than I can remember.

rollmyown
12-26-2012, 11:56 PM
How many reloads in between annealing?

felix
12-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Unknown; unlimited. Depends on how close the ammo fits the gun. Closer the better for accuracy and longevity. Dies must be made to match the gun for unlimited to happen. BR guns usually get new cases after about 10 reloads because of the need to get "perfect" rebound per case to hold the bullet "perfectly" for each round. Anneal every case after every 10 shots for loose fitting guns, whereas there is case expansion exceeding 0.001. ... felix

Jack Stanley
12-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I had a Lithgow with a .318" groove . I set my sizer for minimal sizing and I annealed them by hand every five loads . If I remember right I got about thirty loads out of those cases so perhaps if I had used a bushing die or annealed more they would have lasted longer .

Currently my leadslinger is yet another Lithgow number one but has a groove of about .314(ish) . It will chamber .318" bullets though which makes me think maybe the chamber is huge for a normal groove . I do have a bushing die now that I have set for this rifle and having an easy way to anneal cases will make this much easier . I am thinking to anneal them every three or four loads for these cases that were made in the early seventies . Still learning the ins and outs of this fine old battle rifle .

Jack

303Guy
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I have a 318 groove Brit which I thought would make a great cast or paper patch gun but discovered the bore has been reverse tapered.:( It's smallest somewhere near the middle so I'm going to make it into a short bush gun. It requires no neck sizing to hold a paper patch boolit, same as my pig gun and my cavalry carbine barreled Brit.