PDA

View Full Version : Lard uses...flux

atom73
12-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I am rendering the lard from our pig we had butchered and was wondering what experience others have had using lard as a flux. I'm guessing it will be just fine as a flux if used like paraffin. Anyone ever use it for a lube?

MT Chambers
12-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Some recipes for Black Powder lube call for real lard, lanolin, Bayberry wax, etc. so without any petroleum.

I'll Make Mine
12-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I expect lard will smell pretty bad (like burning meat) when it burns off the melt, but beyond that, it's closer to paraffin wax than the wood products that seem to be preferred by those who've done a lot of research into what works and why.

762 shooter
12-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Should smell like bacon cooking and be avoided by all muslims at all costs.:wink:

Silvercreek Farmer
12-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Give it a go and let us know how it goes! I saved the excess fat off of our hog to mix with my ground deer...

PS Paul
12-26-2012, 01:31 AM
Have a vendor who gave me some last week, right before I left on vacation. Says it's the best flux ever, right up there with beef tallow. Gonna try it when I get home after new year's. Suppose it IS the best flux/alloy cleaner ever? The worst that could happen? Delicious, BBQ'd pork smell? Mmmmm.... delish!

FLINTNFIRE
12-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Years ago when I was smelting wheel weights , would use bacon fat as a flux , it worked as it was outside there was no more obnoxious smell then using any other oils or fats , it works , use it .

atom73
12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys, figured it would work like any other oil or wax. The good part about it is that it was free cast off from getting the hog butchered. Rendering it down cleans out the fibers and tissue so all that is left is the fats, it will smoke and burn but shouldnt have the bacon or burning flesh smell as that is an effect of tissue proteins burning. I'll let you guys know how it works.

John in WI
12-26-2012, 07:43 PM
When i was still doing a lot of blacksmithing/bladesmithing early on I ditched the redneck traditional quench oil (drain oil mixed with ATF) for a mix of veggie oil and lard or bacon grease. It got a little rancid and smelled a little bit while cold. But when I'd plunge hot steel in to it, it kind of smelled like French fries and bacon. Heck of a lot better than burning motor oil and tranny fluid.

(as a side note--don't recycle oil from a fish-fry joint. And don't ask me why I know that!)