PDA

View Full Version : best Christmas ever!

762sultan
12-25-2012, 02:35 PM
My son in law walked in this morning and gave me a heavy package. When I opened it there was 60 pounds of lead ingots. Upon asking where he got them he said a woman sold them for ten cents a pound and had 1000 pounds if I was interested. Well I guess who I will be seeing first thing tomorrow. Anybody know how much an old Mercury sedan can haul at one time?

7Acres
12-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Wow! What a son in law! That's the best $6 spent on a Christmas present I've ever heard of. Enjoy your new found stash!

Springfield
12-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I managed to haul away 400 lbs once in my BMW sidecar.It was either that or lose them to the next guy in line. Worked OK, had to watch the braking, stopped a bit slower!

PS Paul
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Christmas SCORE!! same here, an employee of mine is a part-time landscaper at the Seattle PD Range, so he brought me 200 lbs. of range scrap after mining the berm! That is going to be a steady stream of lead for a hile because he is not a shooter and he only needs to cast a few downrigger balls, so I bought him a 12# DR ball mold for trade. Good times and good score!

I'll Make Mine
12-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Anybody know how much an old Mercury sedan can haul at one time?

How old? I had a '67 Caliente (289 V8 with factory 2-barrel and cast iron automatic, factory air, power brakes and steering) about thirty years ago that would happily tow a trailer that weighed as much as the car, as long as I kept the tongue weight around 200 lb. If you can put the bulk of the weight in the rear seat footwell, the same car should be able to haul a quarter ton or more (four passengers, even by 1960s standards, would have weighed over 500 lb., plus 200 lb. of luggage in the trunk). You'll find the ride greatly softened, but as noted, braking distance will increase significantly...

badbob454
12-26-2012, 01:17 AM
buy it all take 2 trips ...

Beagle333
12-26-2012, 08:27 AM
You don't have rednecks and pickup trucks there? We'll haul anything for a 12 pack. :drinks:

Jon
12-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Make a couple of trips if you can. Otherwise, try to distribute the weight a bit. Put some on the floor in the front, some in the back, and some in the trunk.

Freightman
12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
1000# x.10=$100 get it, box, it sell it for $1200 what a deal, wish I could find a deal like that would order the Shiloh I been slobbering over. I have enough lead I don't have enough Shiloh's.

Beekeeper
12-26-2012, 12:35 PM
But just wait a minute there Freightman, Shiloh's???
I thought you were a Gahendra Man!
Just you wait the gahendras grow on you so bad you will be selling them Shiloh's soon.
Let me know when will you.

beekeeper

Freightman
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
yea right! guess I will when I can keep five shots in 2" at 200 yds with the Gahendra. and the brass is cheaper for the Shiloh.

Smitty's Retired
12-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Great Score for sure. I was just looking to see if anyone posted some Great Christmas Presents concerning PB or WW's.

Jal5
12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
sultan my Jeep Grand Cherokee is rated to pull 5500 #s so let me know if you need help and are near Pittsburgh! i have a trailer too!!
Joe

762sultan
12-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I just came home with 500 ingots of WW. It all rode easily as it was spread out as badbobgerman and Jon suggested.But I just couldn't bring myself to pay only 10 cents a pound,...guess its the Boy Scout gene that most of us carry. She was glad to get the money...like, did you know any woman that didn't like money? Made arrangements to get the rest after the weather clears up. I found out that I knew her late husband and I know he was a reloader and 45ACP shooter. One box was marked Lyman #2 so I feel certain that it is ready to go in the pot. The rest is marked WW. The last 500 pounds is in an assortment of ingot types, mostly muffin pan ingots. Somehow I will have to determine what the lead alloy is. I scratched several with my knife and they appeared about as hard as WW but that is not very scientific. Further investigating is required. I'll keep you posted.

762sultan
01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Just unloaded last buckets of ingots last night. The total was 1870 pounds, hauled in four trips. I bought a Cabine Tree tester this week to find out the bhn and tested a few ingots and muffins to try and find out what I had. Most of the muffins tested at a reading of 35 which would make them about 8 bhn or so. Many of the ingots tested at 80 to 85 that would make a bhn of 14 which is WW. They were all pretty dusty and dirty after being stored in an out building for twenty some years. Upon sorting out the different bhns I will make ingots that have a consistent value so I won't have to guess what's in the melt. It will make a nice winter project.

Sergeant Earthworm
01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Just unloaded last buckets of ingots last night. The total was 1870 pounds, hauled in four trips. I bought a Cabine Tree tester this week to find out the bhn and tested a few ingots and muffins to try and find out what I had. Most of the muffins tested at a reading of 35 which would make them about 8 bhn or so. Many of the ingots tested at 80 to 85 that would make a bhn of 14 which is WW. They were all pretty dusty and dirty after being stored in an out building for twenty some years. Upon sorting out the different bhns I will make ingots that have a consistent value so I won't have to guess what's in the melt. It will make a nice winter project.

this is, like, one of the greatest scores ever. Excuse me while I wipe the slobber off my keyboard...

... there, that's better. So, now all you need is someone to help you test the stuff, right?

youngda9
01-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Score of a lifetime. Your Son in law is in the clear !

762sultan
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Oh but that's the fun of this project. Trying to make a usable alloy of this mix. I feel that most of the softer pb is indoor range lead, mostly 22lr, because this fellow was a NRA smallbore instructor for many years at a local club. He also shot a 1911 45 ACP, mostly just for fun, and not in matches. About 85 ingots were marked Lyman #2, the rest are WW, I hope. I plan to melt some small batches and test the results. Sounds like a fun time to me! It's terrible to see a grown man slobber like that and I hope you recover. Just a thought...the man who gathered all this was planning to cast this in his retirement...he should have started sooner because his days were numbered...just like all of us. Make every day count,tomorrow may never come. HAPPY CASTING!