PDA

View Full Version : all copper bullet questions

vonzep
12-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Ok I do realize this is a CAST boolit forum. But with the knowledge bases here someone knows the answers.I have tried to find out how all coppers are made. Lehigh machines theirs .

Ive seen a video of Barnes chopping wire to exact length, I dont see how they can lathe these small sections economically. So do they press or strike them?

I ask because I am an eternal DIY with a couple CNC lathes.

nhrifle
12-25-2012, 04:00 PM
If you have CNCs at your disposal, you are just need to get some stock. Set the stock stop to give enough material for bullet length and parting off, profile the bullet with a slow feed rate for the last pass, and part off. Debur the cutoff nib and you are ready to load.

Do your research on designs before you attempt this, monolithic bullets generate a bunch more chamber pressure than lead core.

Here's a vid to watch. This is what you are trying to accomplish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNG0dFCN4Ts

Good luck and keep us posted with results.

454PB
12-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I can see why they are so expensive now.

vonzep
12-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Thats about what I expected. The chatter on a .308" ......plus I would drill a hp, followed by pressing a 3 or 4 point tool into the hp. And if for subsonic you would need to slit saw the outside..

Barnse has got to press them somehow.

nhrifle
12-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Corbin talks a little about swaging pure copper and since it is a relatively soft metal, with the right equipment you might be able to get it to flow. If I was going to make a solid construction bullet, I would probably turn it out of bronze bearing alloy. Tough stuff and quite slippery and easy to machine.

I'm confused. Why would you slit saw the outside for subsonic?

Yes, they are expensive. It's not the stock that is expensive, it's getting set up for production. CNC lathes are very expensive, even worn out, and it takes knowledge of how to setup and program them.

vonzep
12-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I would slit saw them like lehigh to help ensure sub sonic expansion.