PDA

View Full Version : 375 JDJ Feedback

kywoodwrkr
06-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Been looking for an Encore pistol frame.
Found one but it had a 375 JDJ barrel(14") attached along with a Simmons 4x32 scope.
Came with 59 rounds of TC ammunition.
Not quite sure I want to shoot any of it.
I do hate shattered bones!:roll:
Does anyone have any experience with this critter using boolits?
Reloading dies cost about $60-75 so not sure I want to go any further with this barrel and maybe should just sell it.
But before I do that I thought I'd see if anyone has any pertinent information about this caliber.
For instance does it load down or plink very well?
Almost a shame to use an elephant(definately not for rabbits) gun in that way however.
But I'm 5' 4 1/2" and weigh about 155 pounds.
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Bullshop
06-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Say I think I have a brand new set of dies for that. I never used them and dont even know where I got them. Dont want to sell them but might be interested in tradin ya sumthin for the barrel. I have a 45/70 with tamer barrel that aught to work for rabbits, or how bout a 357 vent rib barrel?
I ya deceid to let it go give a holler.
BIC/BS

leftiye
06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Ky, Be thankful it's not on a Contender frame!

buck1
06-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I have the 338 JDJ #2. Its a helovua gun. But I think the 375 is better.I paid 350.00 for my BBL years ago. I would be slow to sell it, but I like the big stuff!!!....Buck

Nazgul
07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Bought some boxes of ammo at the local gunshop a month ago. He ordered ten for a customer that only took five, so offered me the other five at 2/3 of the price. Of course I bought them not even having a 375 JDJ barrel for the Encore.

Lo and behold the barrels are on sale at Midsouth Shooters Supply so now I have a barrel. I wouldn't worry about the recoil, at least the factory ammo is not too bad. I bought a set of dies and am working on the 500 FMJ 300 gr bullets I have. It is going off to SSK to get a muzzle brake because the heavier bullets can get uncomfortable.

JohnH
07-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I had the TC stainless 26" bull barrel, had a miserable time with it with cast. After about 1000 rounds of the Lyman 379449 through the barrel. it wnet from shooting 2" average groups to paper plate size3d groups. Shot the Hornady 220 just fine. Traded off the barrel for a 25-06 barrel and have been happily shooting cast ever since with my Encore. I believe my 375 barrel just didn't have an appetite for cast, yours may.

MK111
07-06-2007, 03:27 PM
If your TC barrell is ported then it won't be any worst than a heavy loaded .44 Mag. I have shot 270 gr. in my 14" ported barrel with no problem & it on a Contender frame. Even took elk with one shot. But I would recommend using a Pacmyer grip with the wide flat area on the back.

kywoodwrkr
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
This barrel is indeed ported.
Was in hopes the porting would be effective.
Have rounded up a couple folks interested in testing their frontal lobes, err, I mean trying their shooting ability.
I enjoy things a little different, but this may prove to be just a little too different, read recoil monster, for me.
It has the standard TC Encore grips which look like they could be prone to a little slippage.
Thanks all for the feedback.
DaveP kywoodwrkr