PDA

View Full Version : Start on 30-30 mold

44man
12-25-2012, 11:35 AM
I milled the top of the blocks and cut the cavities. I still have all the holes, tapping and a sprue plate to make.
I have no idea what size anything will be until it is finished.

btroj
12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Group buy at 44 mans!

TCFAN
12-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Boy I wish I had the talent and the know how to make my own molds.........Terry

williamwaco
12-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I like the shape of it.

Doc Highwall
12-25-2012, 12:54 PM
It reminds me of a RCBS 180FN but heavier.

HighHook
12-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Wow! Some real "Talent" over yonder...

1Shirt
12-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Looks good, let us know what it weighs and how it shoots!
1Shirt!

popper
12-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Dang nab it - I didn't get that machine shop I asked for Christmas. Guess I still have to buy my stuff.

LEADHOPPER
12-25-2012, 07:59 PM
44man,

Is that a self centering vise or did you come up with a jig that would self center as both the front and back vise jaw or jig moved at the same time. Did you make your own cherry and what did you make it out of? I was thinking a reamer blank would be a good start for making cherries.

LH

44man
12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
44man,

Is that a self centering vise or did you come up with a jig that would self center as both the front and back vise jaw or jig moved at the same time. Did you make your own cherry and what did you make it out of? I was thinking a reamer blank would be a good start for making cherries.

LH
I made the vise out of cast iron sprues from a foundry. It moves the jaws to center. It uses gibs on my mill table bottom.
I use oil hardening tool steel for the cherries. The stuff is cheap and cuts easy, I think the last 3' length was $5. I use the lathe to cut the boolit then I put it in my Vertex to mill cutting edges with an end mill. It still takes hand filing to finish the nose.
I harden in my drill press while it is spinning, using a torch, then open the chuck and drop it straight into transmission oil. Then I put it in the kitchen oven at 300* for an hour, let it cool in the oven. It works fine preventing warping.
They are not pretty but they cut fine.
My problem is guessing diameters to allow for shrinkage and final boolit weight. I was lucky on many like the .44, .475 and .500 JRH.
I am not a machinist in any sense of the word! I picked up the Smithy and all the tools from a friends father that had a stroke and I am sad to say he died recently, such a nice person, hard to get over.
My molds are scrap aircraft aluminum from a hunk I got when I worked at the airline. Sprue plates are from scrap 1/4" stainless out of a dumpster. It will takes me a day to make a plate. Hacksaw mostly. How I hate to saw metal! The stainless is so tough I have to mount on a faceplate and cut the tapers to the holes. The stuff will eat those other counter sink cutters.
I am too old to wait a year for a custom mold or a custom gun. Social Security is a pain.
If I can do it, you young fellas can too so don't quit, same as loading right. Sit and think some.

LEADHOPPER
12-26-2012, 04:25 PM
44man,

I know the felling I would like a few molds that can't be had or the wait is too long. I have done some research as far as shrinkage and have that pretty much figured out. Have had to open up a couple molds with a keyslot cutter that I ground down to the diam. I needed on any endmill grinder. I should have an old Logan lathe after the first of the years. I figured I'd try my luck at making a couple cherries and cutting my own mold out of some 7050 drops that I have laying around. Is there any way that I could get some dimensions or a drawing of your fixture. That sounds like something I could fab and set up on the old knee mill in my spare time.

LH

44man
12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
44man,

I know the felling I would like a few molds that can't be had or the wait is too long. I have done some research as far as shrinkage and have that pretty much figured out. Have had to open up a couple molds with a keyslot cutter that I ground down to the diam. I needed on any endmill grinder. I should have an old Logan lathe after the first of the years. I figured I'd try my luck at making a couple cherries and cutting my own mold out of some 7050 drops that I have laying around. Is there any way that I could get some dimensions or a drawing of your fixture. That sounds like something I could fab and set up on the old knee mill in my spare time.

LH
I will take more pictures and measure for you. You can mail me at jameswbrm@aol.com so it is easier to give you pictures.