PDA

View Full Version : Mathews 1995 lube

45bpcr
12-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Has anyone used or is using this lube for BPCR.
I shoot in the northeast and do not have to endure the hot dry conditions like shooters out west do.
I've been using SPG with no complaints but would like to make my own again.

45Bpcr

John Boy
12-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I've been using SPG with no complaints but would like to make my own again.45 - No to the use of the Paul Matthews lube.
"1995 Lube" - sourced from Paul Matthews
2 parts yellow beeswax
1 part Pure Neatsfoot Oil
1 part Murphy’s Oil Soap
(easy to make in 8-oz batches)
1) Melt 4 oz of beeswax in the microwave. Usually 6-8 minutes is about the right time.
2) Stir in 2 oz of Neatsfoot oil when beeswax is melted. Stir until the mixture is lumpfree.
3) Stir in 2 oz of Murphy’s Oil Soap, stirring continuously as the soap is added. Again, mix until there are no lumps.
4) Pour into storage containers as soon as batch is well mixed.
Very soft and sticky. Will not melt in the sun, but works well in the cold, too. NOT suitable for pan lubing.

SPG - it is a good lube and well respected by BPCR match and non match shooters. But there are some that feel this 1943 American Rifleman homemade lube is as good as SPG, including me which I have been using for close to 3 years in 25-20's up to 50-70 with no lube starvation or leading.
Even use it for 220 Swift smokeless reloads with lead bullets ...
40% mutton tallow
40% paraffin
20% beeswax
The next batch of this recipe, I'm going to substitute the paraffin with microcrystalline wax because instead of branched hydrocarbons and naphthenic hydrocarbons - it contains a higher percentage of isoparaffinic (branched) hydrocarbons and naphthenic hydrocarbons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcrystalline_wax

rhbrink
12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I tried Mathews lube back in my BPCR days and it didn't work well for me here in the midwest. If you wipe between shots it was OK but then just about anything will work if you wipe between shots. I tried using a blow tube with it and it just wouldn't hold any moisture for me results were lots of lead in the barrel. I was shooting a 40-65 at the time using Goex 2 f.

Richard

Starvnhuntr
01-06-2013, 01:47 AM
I use mathews lube exclusively. I use the above recipe for black powder loads and have never had any issues with leading.I use less beeswax for muzzleloading type bore butter recipies and I have used this recipe with twice the amount of beeswax for medium loads in .44 mag. and .454 cassull loads with pretty much no leading issues whatsoever.

Southern Son
01-07-2013, 08:41 AM
I use mathews number 2 lube or what he called "shows promiss" cause I could not get the Murphy's oil soap. It has been great.

Nobade
01-07-2013, 09:17 AM
For store bought, Bullshop's NASA has worked better than anything for me. For homemade, Emmert's (beeswax, crisco, jojoba oil) works the best. But we're very hot and dry here in the summer.

For CAS type shooting, Pearl lube (soy flakes, crisco, toilet bowl ring) works well also and is super cheap to make. I use that on my revolver wads with great results too.

45bpcr
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
You couldn't get murphy's oil soap ?!?!?.
I get it at the grocery store here.
And the tack shop in town carries pure Neat's foot oil.
One of my customers is into Bee keeping and gave me a few pounds of nice clean Bees wax after we fixed her BMW. Then she refered a bunch of her Bee keeping friends to us and now I have a real good supply of Bee's wax :-)
So I made a bunch of 1995 lube.
It's white and sticky and very slippery through the fingers.
I'll lube up some bullets and post a range report.
When I shoot a match I do wipe between shots, but to "test" I may just shoot until things get crunchy in the barrel to see how it works.

45bpcr

Southern Son
01-11-2013, 07:25 AM
You couldn't get murphy's oil soap ?!?!?.
I get it at the grocery store here.

45bpcr

Aparently nobody needs oil Soap in Australia.

.22-10-45
01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
I recieved Paul Mathews latest book on black powder bullet lubes for Christmas..he has substituted castor oil for neatsfoot for blow-tube use..as castor oil absorbs moisture & neatsfoot is waterproof.

rhbrink
01-11-2013, 08:05 PM
That might work I thought about it and if I were to try it again I would substute Ballistol. It would absorb water and is very friendly to blackpowder just a little while back I made up some patch lube for my muzzleloaders with 2 parts Ballistol, 1 part Murphys oil soap and 4 parts water and talk about slick maybe too slick I have yet to try it but will soon see.

Richard

John Boy
01-11-2013, 08:07 PM
NOTE ... "Prime neatsfoot oil" or "neatsfoot oil compound" are terms used for a blend of pure neatsfoot oil and non-animal oils, generally mineral or other petroleum-based oils.

Not pure neatsfoot oil!

Starvnhuntr
01-23-2013, 03:40 AM
pure
neatsfoot oil. harrys leather shop.hewitt ave. everett, wash.