PDA

View Full Version : Rossi m92 small issue.

Pb2au
12-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Team,
I just picked up a Rossi 92 in 45 colt new. I have one issue with it that I am sure is a simple thing for someone in the know.
When you insert the first cartridge into the loading gate, it feeds in, the gate closes, then the cartridge ends up slipping behind the gate. This stops you from inserting any more cartridges.
My thought is that it has to be a simple adjustment. If I need to take back to the dealer I will, but if it is something that I can take care of I am happy to.
Many thanks in advance!
Merry Christmas.

jh45gun
12-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Not sure if that is a problem or not I have always with any lever gun left the previous shell casing sticking out of the loading gate then pushing in the next round and keep doing that until the mag is full or less if you want less. I have no problems feeding my Rossi Ranch Hand which is a 92 in pistol form. I use that same procedure with my Winchester and Marlin Lever guns.

Tazman1602
12-25-2012, 08:54 AM
What Jh said. My Rossi's don't do that even loading one at a time but mines a 357. There's lot of info on these over at Rossi riflemans forum, check it out.....

Art

bolivor
12-25-2012, 11:46 AM
The cartridge is not supossed to slip back under the loading gate.You say this is a new rifle,take it back.There is no adjustment.

ukrifleman
12-25-2012, 11:56 AM
The cartridge is not supossed to slip back under the loading gate.You say this is a new rifle,take it back.There is no adjustment.

I would agree, neither my .357 or 45 Colt M92's have this problem.
ukrifleman

jdowney
12-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Try not pushing it in so far, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, just leave the head of each case sticking out a little, holding the gate open, then push it all the way in with the next shell. I push the last shell all the way in with my pinky.

williamwaco
12-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Try not pushing it in so far, I don't mean to sound sarcastic, just leave the head of each case sticking out a little, holding the gate open, then push it all the way in with the next shell. I push the last shell all the way in with my pinky.

I agree that this is the proper way to feed the cartridges in because it will pinch your finger if you don't.

That said however, the behavior you are describing is not acceptable because you cannot reload until the magazine is empty.
I cannot tell you how to fix it but I have owned around a half dozen M92 and M94s over the years and never noticed that problem.

fecmech
12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I believe there is some kind of stop on the bottom of the bolt that holds the cartridge from sliding behind the gate. When I move the bolt on my 92 I can see the cartridge from the mag tube following it.

nhrifle
12-25-2012, 04:16 PM

This is how I load the magazine on m Winchester 94. Push through the loading gate till the rim is about to go in, let the last cartridge hold the gate open and fill to capacity. Not being ablt to top off the magazine tube shouldn't be a problem unless you are in a firefight, and frankly in that case I'd rather have something belt fed!

jdowney
12-25-2012, 05:06 PM
My 94 is really hard to load if you have to open the gate every time, basically you need to push the gate down with a finger of one hand and then push the shell in with the other hand. My new Rossi is much easier to load letting the gate close every time. I think the way its done is the back of the gate has a curve to it and pushes the rim of the last loaded case forward. Might be that the OP just has to push hard on the gate (like my 94), or maybe take it to a gunsmith and have some bits polished.

For myself, I simply don't load this way, so it's not a big deal to me. For this reason, I doubt I would send a Rossi back over it, I bought mine expecting to have to do some of the smoothing up, and got lucky in having very little wrong other than the lousy buttstock. Others expect any gun they buy to work to spec from the start, and there is nothing wrong with that either if one is prepared to wait for the factory to fix it.

nhrifle
12-25-2012, 09:49 PM
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I am not sure of the design but it shouldn't take too much to get the loading gate out and bevel the inside edge then touch it up with cold blue.

Tazman1602
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
There's only one screw that holds the loading gate in but if I remember you have to remove the lower tang to get the gate out.

Art

Doc65
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
My 92 has been slicked up a bit, the bottom of the bolt is supposed to keep the round forward of the loading gate when the bolt is closed. I can duplicate your symptoms if I try to load the magazine with the bolt even partially open. What everyone is telling you about feeding one round with the nose of the next is valid and will make it "easier" & "faster", but should not be REQUIRED. However the bolt being closed/lever being up IS required, unless you push one round with the nose of the next, then you can load with the bolt partially open and watch the process through the top.

Pb2au
12-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the info team!
Doc, I think you hit the nail on the head. I did notice that the lever can drop a hair, thus allowing the bolt to open a tiny bit. I'll bet you that is it.
I'll test further and get back with results. Many thanks!
merry Christmas everyone.