PDA

View Full Version : Help me identfy a mould

SP5315
12-25-2012, 03:39 AM
I found a mold and set of handles in a thrift store in a box of tools. The only marking on the mold is A-358-687. I'm ashamed to say what I picked this up for. The mold was missing a couple of set screws and the blocks needed some adjustment. Handles are tight, the wood is in good shape. It was coated with heavy grease and shows no signs of rust. The sprue plate is a little galled on the top on one side on the top, but sits tight on the blocks.

This is a round nose, flat base, that looks like it will throw somewhere around 150 to 160 grains. Even though it is a round nose it has sharp corners above the crimp grove like a SWC. I haven't had a chance to cast anything with this mold, yet.

Can anyone tell who made this mold and what would be a good top punch # for sizing?

cbrick
12-25-2012, 09:50 AM
A picture would help a lot.

Rick

quack1
12-25-2012, 09:53 AM
A picture would help, but Modern Bond lists a 145gr round nose with that number. The only Bond mold I had cast like a dream, good find and good Christmas present to yourself.

catskinner
12-26-2012, 12:16 AM
From the lettering on the mold I'd guess Modern Bond. The Letter A tells the nose shape, the 358 is diameter and the last 3 digits is the bullet length. Are the blocks detachable from the handles? All the Modern Bond molds I've seen have detachable handles and are two cavity.

SP5315
12-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Here are some pics of the mold.

SP5315
12-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Well, it looks like it is a Modern Bond. I found it listed in the castpics reference section. The profile of the mold matches up with the picture. I'm looking forward to see how this will cast and shoot.

NoZombies
12-28-2012, 07:44 PM
It's modern bond, almost certainly. All of their mold handles I've had have been marked such, but I don't recall the molds being marked with the name. All of mine have cast well.

Bent Ramrod
12-29-2012, 12:32 AM
It's the right mould numbering and handle style for a Modern Bond, but all my handles have "MODERN BOND CORP. WILMINGTON DEL." on the metal part of the left-hand handle. All the wooden handles I've seen are painted a glossy black.

Obviously, you have a rare variant, worth $$$!!!:mrgreen:

SP5315
12-29-2012, 03:56 AM
It's the right mould numbering and handle style for a Modern Bond, but all my handles have "MODERN BOND CORP. WILMINGTON DEL." on the metal part of the left-hand handle. All the wooden handles I've seen are painted a glossy black.

Obviously, you have a rare variant, worth $$$!!!:mrgreen:

I've double checked and there are no markings on the handle to top it off. I'm well on my way to doubling my $25.00 investment
8-)

I'm going to have to dig around an find out a little history on Modern Bond.

MT Gianni
12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
I would try the 311 top punch. it is for the Ly rn that is a different angle than yours but a good place to start.

Alchemist
12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
For a top punch, you might consider getting a blank from either "Buckshot" or "the perfessor". You can then custom match the top punch to the boolit and avoid the annoying ring that usually results from having a "close" match with the wrong punch. When I use this method, I've discovered through trial and error that Lee liquid alox lube makes a great release agent for the boolit nose and J-B Weld does a great job as well as being easy to work with.