PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Jacket, cleaning solvent question

imashooter2
06-30-2007, 03:25 PM
For the last few years, my preferred solvent has been Ed's Red (with acetone, no lanolin). I've recently begun using Rooster Jacket film lube on my high volume pistol bullets. I love the speed and convenience of application, but... ER doesn't seem to dissolve the fouling it leaves on the frame and/or barrel. The fouling is soft and a brush takes it right out, but I'd like a patch to do that instead.

Anyone else using Rooster Jacket? What do you use for solvent?

Buckshot
07-02-2007, 01:58 PM
.............I'd try plain ole paint thinner, or even WD40.

...............Buckshot

buck1
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
It may just need to sit a wile? I dont Know what wax Rooster Jacket uses. Does anyone here know??......Buck

RayinNH
07-02-2007, 08:43 PM
In liquid form Rooster Jacket is water soluble...Ray

leftiye
07-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Try soap?

imashooter2
07-02-2007, 10:22 PM
In liquid form it is water soluble, but once it dries, it's water proof. 25% mineral spirits in the Ed's Red. I could try pure, but it's not looking like a high probability... Nothing to lose though. Soap is an option I haven't tried.

I wrote email to Rooster labs asking what they recommend. Will advise if they get back to me.

imashooter2
07-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Yesterday I received a nice hand written note from Duane Benton himself. He recommends Simple Green or Citra-Solv used straight with scrubbing (good call leftiye). Says that a bit of isopropyl alcohol may be added to help speed removal. Anyway, it looks like there isn't a solvent only solution like I was hoping for.

Was nice that Mr. Benton took the time to reply in person though.

imashooter2
07-15-2007, 03:40 PM
FWIW, Mirachem gun cleaner cuts the Rooster deposits very well and does a great job on carbon too.

http://www.mirachem.com/Gun_Cleaner.htm

Free samples available here:

http://www.mirachem.com/so_1010b_207.htm

Marine Sgt 2111
07-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I use Rooster Jacket mixed with water (1 cup per gallon of water) when quenching boolits during heat treating. I also use the same solution in a spray bottle on untreated boolits, let it dry and the boolits slip through the sizer....:drinks: