PDA

View Full Version : "First dance" with MiHec mould

DLCTEX
12-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I just had my first session with the MiHec aluminum 6 cav. 45 cal. I bought from Seagiant. Nice! It is essentially a Lee 6 cav. with all the improvements made. The screw to prevent wear where the sprue plate cam lever hits, the set screw for the sprue plate bolt, the cavities polished, steel sprue plate with a trough hogged out between cavities, and steel cam lever. Those 6 cavs use up a ten lb. pot in a hurry. It does run hotter than a Lee 6 cav., probably due to the steel holding heat. I will have to run it cooler. The nose is about the same length as the Lee 200 gr. SWC from the 2 cav. moulds I have, but the Lee 6 cav. with BB is a good bit longer in the nose, requiring a lot of adjustment to the bullet seating depth. That's unhandy, as I have been able to load a number of different boolits with the same adjustment for depth. Just my take on the difference between HiMec and Lee with the 200 gr. SWC in 45 cal.

seagiant
12-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi Dale,
Glad it's working for you! I told you it would make a pile of boolits! I used a LEE 6 cav. for years as I think the 200 gr. SWC is the best boolit for the 45 ACP. The Mihec/H&G 68 has a bigger meplate and to me is just a better all around boolit compared to the LEE copy. The Mihec is a true clone so you have alot of history and tradition watching your back! I like that also!

mkf350
12-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Looking good!

DLCTEX
12-25-2012, 11:19 PM
I cast another 250 boolits with it tonight. Don't need the boolits, just fun casting with a good mould.

seagiant
12-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I cast another 250 boolits with it tonight. Don't need the boolits, just fun casting with a good mould.

Hi,
Now tell the truth,you melted the boolits that you had made with the LEE mold and recast them with the MiHec!!! (like me!):mrgreen:

Forrest r
12-26-2012, 07:26 AM
That Mihec 68 clone is an excellent bullet!!! These bullets will flat out shoot, hit hard & cut beautiful holes in targets.

That's all I use, a lee 10# pot (I've been waiting for it to die since the 90's) & I use a large pot & a propane turkey cooker stand to keep a supply of lead hot & ready on the side. When the lee 10# pot is empty I just fill it back up with a steel ladle & the melted lead from the turkey cooker. It was nothing to cast 80# of bullets that way in 4 to 5 hours with a 6 cavity mold.

I'd water drop the bullets & cut the sprue's into a steel bucket. Every time I refilled the lee pot I'd put the sprues back into the lead in the large pot on the turkey cooker stand.

Enjoy your Mihec 6 cavity mold, you're in for a real treat.

Balta
12-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Is that bullet lube you make or buy? If is some receipt how you get blue color?look very nice

Hi Dale,
Glad it's working for you! I told you it would make a pile of boolits! I used a LEE 6 cav. for years as I think the 200 gr. SWC is the best boolit for the 45 ACP. The Mihec/H&G 68 has a bigger meplate and to me is just a better all around boolit compared to the LEE copy. The Mihec is a true clone so you have alot of history and tradition watching your back! I like that also!