PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the NEF Sidekick

Jal5
12-24-2012, 05:46 PM
I really love this gun although I only use it around this time of year to get ready for our ML season in Ohio. Accurate with PB 295 over two Pyrodex pellets at 50 yds three almost touch today plus one more at 100 yds that was a hair lower than the 3rd. This is the 50 cal. ML, and I can shoot that load repeatedly without any problem. I have taken two deer with it so far, hopefully another one in a couple of weeks. Neither of them went further than 50 yds. good Nikon scope on it helps my old eyes a lot. :)

Maybe for next year I will work up some boolits and powder and see what it can do!

Joe

johnson1942
12-25-2012, 01:22 PM
i have a h and r buffalo classic and im going to get a muzzle loader barrel for it and scope it like yours. it should end up just like yours. it will be for my 13 year old son. he isnt comfortable with side locks and i cant change his mind. i can see how you really can like yours, the gun will preform when you need it. you wont miss the critter because of the gun, it is entirely up to you. keep haveing fun.

Jal5
12-25-2012, 07:43 PM
I have only missed one deer with this ML, and that was a marginal shot at last light. Clean miss although at the time I couldn't believe I had missed it! It happens!

I have another NEF rifle in .243 and would like to sell or trade off that barrel for a 45-70 not sure why since we cannot use it to hunt here, but I always wanted the big caliber.

johnson1942
12-25-2012, 11:41 PM
45/70s are fun there are so many diff ways to load them and they are all right.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
have you looked at the replacement breach plugs for the side kick and huntsman

I keep looking but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet

Jal5
12-28-2012, 12:14 AM
yes I got one of the replacement ones last year makes it much easier to use and less blowback. But in some ways the little primers are more difficult to seat for a second shot than using the orange plastic carriers. Trade off I guess.

Jal5
01-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Took a small button buck this morning with the Sidekick. Deer came across a power right of way about 100 yd from my ground blind. DRT that 295 gr PB over 2 pellets hits like the hammer of Thor! Complete pass through behind the shoulder and high so that it clipped the backbone.

Unfortunately for me, 5 min. after the deer went down his bigger brother came out at the same spot and lingered around there for 15 mins. a nice 6 pt. buck. Hope he survives till next year.

I spent the afternoon skinning and butchering, the first for me. What a load of work even on a small deer.

Joe