PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new Remington 45 auto.

45-70 Chevroner
12-24-2012, 05:21 PM
I am looking at a new Remington (1911 type) 45 auto. I think the price is ok at $620.00 + tax. Has anyone had any experience with this pistol and what do you think of it?

mpmarty
12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
No experience with it but, I've owned Colts, Kimbers, GI and Taurus 1911s and the only one I feel is worth the money is my RIA tactical. 2/3 of what you quote for the Remington and rock solid.

HangFireW8
12-24-2012, 06:48 PM
New? I would think quite collectable, and a good deal at that price. I'd be afraid to shoot it (but probably would anyway).

EDIT: Never mind, I'm thinking Remington-Rand. As others have said, there are probably better deals out there.

HF

HighHook
12-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Seems to be a fair price. They all seem to be in that price range and more. Remington is a big name. I wonder if they make them or somebody else with the Remington name. I guess a quick search could find that out.

cbrick
12-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Here's an article on it.

http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R1.htm

Rick

Jailer
12-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Local place sells the Ruger SR1911 for $575+tax. I'd rather have the Ruger for the money.

Ragnarok
12-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I own the standard Remington 1911R1....I cherry-picked mine from three guns at the dealer..by some chance I've got an excellent one.

I've seen others and seen pics and gripes online about some shoddy made Remington 1911 pistols....so look any particular Remington R1 over in person before buying it..if possible.

That said...mine's an excellent handgun. Feeds most hollowpoints without issue...superb accuracy...decent trigger(despite the 'series 80' safety). I couldn't ask for a better 1911 pistol.

Slow Elk 45/70
12-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Well Pard , I know nothing about their new 45, but I used a Remington-Rand for 3 tours in Nam in the field, not in an office, and I lived to tell about it..Semper Fi[smilie=1:

Total Safety
12-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello all

I picked one of these up late last week and the construction looks fantastic. I have not been to the range yet but it will be the first gun I shoot when I go.

Ragnarok
12-25-2012, 10:54 AM
get some tiny allen wrenches...and check your sight set-screws before and after shooting the Rem

45-70 Chevroner
12-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all the info. I will be checking out the RIA Tactical and some of the others mentioned. I looked at the RIA- on line and the only thing that kind of gets me is the Big Lettering high lighted in white on the side of the slide.
I just checked on line again and I see that not all of the RIA's have the high lighted lettering.

Forrest r
12-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Most 1911 mfger's make a good product anymore, cnc machines & mim parts have leveled the playing field for the most part on any of the entry level 1911's.

I'd be asking which one of the basic 1911's will shoot cast bullets (pick your favorite cast bullet). Most bbl's will shoot jacketed/hardball ammo, cast is another story.

Lastly, decide what you want your 1911 for, too many people want one for maybe a cc sometimes, hd & target shooting at the range. When you get a jack of all trade you end up with a master of none.

birch
12-26-2012, 08:04 AM
My neighbor recently bought a Rem. R1. We broke it in and I have to say it was one of the nicest out of the box 1911's I have ever shot. The only issue I had was a bit of a soft trigger, but I bet it will smooth out with a few hundred rounds. I have a bone stock Rand, and the remington was far more accurate at 25 yards. Granted, I wouldnt trade my Rand for 4 new remingtons, but for a rock solid shooter, I don't think a feller could go wrong.
I usually don't like to say bad things about a gun I havent owned, but I have a buddy who took a RIA to a Brownells sponsored 1911 class in Colorado. He told me that he had his slide lapped in 20 minutes, and others had 3-4 hours to lap theirs into shape. I can promise you that if you are going to shoot your 1911 more than occasionally, it will get sloppy loose and loose accuracy.
I dont say this as a gun snob, I have many guns that I bought for functionality over finish. I just know my friend is one of the most honest guys you will ever meet. If he says the RIA has a soft frame, it has a soft frame.

torker
12-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I own the Remington Enhanced model. There were 2 issues i had come across that took very little effort to cure. The first one was that there was a slight machining falut. On the receiver where the top slide fits, the front lower right inside, there was a small piece of the receiver that was not milled. This caused a scratch on the lower right side of the slide. It was evident after about 10-15 rounds. I took it down and used a file to correct it. The front fiber optic site tube disappeared after about 50 rounds. Made another and replaced. ( super glued it in place). Other than those this gun is a tack driver@ 25 The trigger seems fine to my liking. there are many features on this model that are quite appealing to me. Just go through it like you would normally do with any new gun. Tighten everything and oil. I enjoy this gun, Much more the my Kimber... Cast works just fine here.

salvadore
12-27-2012, 11:00 PM
I have one, trigger was really heavy. Bought a WWll style hammer and did a little stoning and trigger is not so bad. The Ruger is a good buy, but I think I'll keep the R-1.

RG1911
12-28-2012, 01:32 PM
I bought a very slightly used R-1 a couple months ago ($450) and feel I received excellent value for my money. It's digested everything I've put through it without any jams.

That said, I immediately did two things:

1. I removed the spring, plunger and levers of that ridiculous firing pin block and added a frame filler from TJ's Custom Gunworks (http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com). This plate fills the cutout in the frame that's there for the levers. I bought mine from Brownell's.

2. Carefully stoned the hammer and sear engagement surfaces to make the trigger pull more smooth. It's down to 4.5 pounds and I may replace the mainspring (hammer spring) with a slightly reduced-power spring to reduce the pull to 3.5-4 pounds.

Cheers,
Richard