PDA

View Full Version : Need new internet service

DLCTEX
06-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I have been experiencing problems with internet service for a couple of months now. The company I have been using was the only option besides a very slow dial-up until Blue Sky?( I think that's right) became available. The phone company's DSL will not work ( too far, copper wires). My question is, will I have good service for the $67 a month it will cost? I would really hate to go back to dial-up, but it is a pain to have to drive 12 miles to town to use the office computer. Anyone out there have experience with Blue Sky? The company I have been using wanted to charge $99.50 to come diagnose the problem. I told them I would not pay to have them fix their equipment. I must not have been the only one having problems as I recieved notice that they were discontinuing service to our community. DALE

Junior1942
06-30-2007, 12:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you could go satellite upload & download for about $100 a month.

Scrounger
06-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I am satisfied with the wireless internet service I get, it's as fast as the good DSL and only costs $30 a month. I have a small antenna on the roof, setup was free, no equiptment inside but wiring. Here's a link to a Google Search for wireless in Texas, you might check to see if any of them service your area.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DMUS_enUS227US227&q=wireless+internet+service+in+texas

obssd1958
06-30-2007, 02:05 PM
PM headed your way Dale.

Don

MT Gianni
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi-speed wireless cost me $30 a month through a local provider. Gianni

SharpsShooter
06-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Junior is not too far off the mark. I just did an installation at our local office of a Hughs net satellite system last week that will leave DSL in the dust. How about 1140K download and 400K up with latency of 41ms? Cost was $250 for equipment and service is $69 a month. No phone service needed, just a PC with NIC card (or onboard) running Windows 98SE or higher. It will do a 25mb download in 2 minutes 12 seconds flat.

SS

felix
06-30-2007, 05:33 PM
You really need to know your required speed for the applications you run. It is all about cost/benefit. For a hobbiest, that ratio should be as low as possible for your continued enjoyment of the internet. Movies? Large stills? Big time music? Then, cost is no option for the speed which should be the absolute max in the area. But for email and the internet board(s) we enjoy, anything more than about 40K becomes a bonus. I pay 15 bucks per month, and get 80K download consistently. Cannot go cheaper and get 40K. I've tried many times. ... felix

RayinNH
06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Dale, I get mine through our cable TV provider, $41.95 per month. Is that an option for you...Ray

tommag
06-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I have Wild Blue here as the only other option is dial up and I could only get about 24k with our phone lines. I pay about $70/month and paid for the dish (about $2 or$ 300) for 100mbs. I guess it's one of the prices for living up here on the hill. It goes down during heavy storms, and Norton used to detect port scans from Wild Blue and shut off my internet from time to time. That hasn't happened in quite a while, don't know what happened there.

DLCTEX
07-02-2007, 08:28 PM
So far it appears that Wild Blue is the only option in our area. $50 mo, + 250 for equip. Phone co. sent me DSL modum, but local service man says it's not going to satisfy me. I'll know in a day or two. Thanks, Dale