PDA

View Full Version : .460 Rowland shooters....

45nut
06-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, this is kinda embarrassing, a few years ago I bought a Mech-Tech CCU to accompany my 1911 fetish....early 2004 it turns out as I just happened to come across the original receipt. Well, it turns out I bought a .460 Rowland unit and not the 45acp I have been treating it as since day one.
Its a handy thing and quite accurate due to the match barrel but it seems I have been treating it quite mildly, function has always been 100% and with the carbine length tube it certainly gathers no moss on exit, But, I would like to get some first hand notes on what this is really capable of.
I know from chat that No 1 and Fishhawk own them and I hope they will add a nickle or quarters worth but I hope to see a few others drop in here.
I have since replaced the scope in this pic with a reflex sight but it is a very nice machine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/rifles/webp0000998.jpg

No_1
06-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Dang Ken,

I am surprised you did not have problems shooting the 45 ACP out of it seeing as it is chambered in 460 and headspaces on the mouth. As far as loads, I shoot mine in a 625 with moon clips. The load is around 12.3 grs. of AA7 with the old hornady 230 XTP (HEAVY crimp)and the same load with the RCBS 45-300 (HEAVY crimp). Both have outstanding accuracy but the bullets tend to pull with the hornady's. This load was an load that was published on a big company website but has since been removed. Do you have brass?

45nut
06-30-2007, 11:59 AM
It has always been fed 45acp Rob, I have no "proper" 460 Rowland on hand. Being that it is fed from a magazine and not in a wheelgun I will have to watch the OAL rather close. I will try the 454190 design first,, then the original BD and see how they do.
I haven't even googled it yet..on my agenda.

OK,,edited to add "Joe" from Realguns website fame has a Clark conversion and has some loads posted,,these look close?

http://www.realguns.com/loads/460Rowland.htm

KB291
06-30-2007, 12:44 PM
These carbines have always intrigued me. What kind of ballistics and group sizes are you getting? What ranges are you shooting?

45nut
06-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Well,,a closer look at the receipt dates it to Nov 2000. Jeeze time flies past.

I have never put it across the chrony, just shot it and shot it and shot it. I would imagine there is close to 7-8K rounds thru this,,and 90% of those have been cast.
With the match barrel it is extremely easy to kick cans from here to eternity. Its been sitting idle for sometime now ,, newer toys took over the position of favorite.. I don't suppose anyone else has had that happen?.
The new 50 round 1911 mags has real tempting thoughts for this but I haven't seen a positive report yet on one.
I guess I need to check that chamber really well and see if there is a false headspace ring of crud built up and see about getting some proper brass for it.

Mohillbilly
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Star line makes that I think,or cut back some .45Winmag they have thicker bases than ACP..

fishhawk
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
yes starline makes the brass also (if i can get this to work) here is a link on the test that Taffin ran and data for the .460 rowland http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt460r.htm also georga arms makes loaded ammo for it

fishhawk
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
also as a note mine isn't the "carbine" kit. it's the drop in for the 1911 with a barrel and muzzle comp. so it's only about 1 inch longer than the "standard" length of a 1911. with the lyman mold 452484 and WW i am getting 1500 FPS bullet weighs in at 235 with gas check and WW. fishhawk