PDA

View Full Version : Leverlution ammo, any ideas on the Powder?

G. Blessing
06-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Forgive me, this is a non cast boolit topic. [smilie=1: :roll:

I thought about putting this in the surplus powder section, but its not strictly surplus.... :confused:

I've had the idea, that while I'm waiting for hornady to release the bullets for loading, I can pull them from the factory ammo. I will end up with primed cases to re-load in cast or other jackets rounds. And I will have the soft tiped bullets to load in handloads.

Want to see if I get any gain with the pointy bullet, compared to cast, or JSP in an equivalent powder loading.

Not saving anything, and not realy gaining anything, unless I find a more acurate/eficient load for the bullets, compared to the factory loading.

Anyway, my question; is there any info, or does anyone know what powder is in the ammo? Maybe something that it is known to be close-comparable to. To get a starting data comparison?

I hate to just toss out the powder, and not get any use from it.

G.

Leverluver
07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
There are several cartridges in the LR line. Which one are you asking about? I can help with 45-70 but that is the only one I've played with.

G. Blessing
07-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Errrrr.... Ooops! thought I had said, 30-30. :)

G.

w30wcf
07-05-2007, 07:42 AM
G. Blessing,

It looks very similar to W748. I would bet, that, based on the charge weight, W748 would be very close to it in burning rate......if it's not W748.

w30wcf

JSH
07-05-2007, 08:11 AM
G. Blessing
JMHO, the pointy bullet thing, ala leverlution stuff , trying to fix somthing that ain't broke. Load up a few of the FLGC's in other brands comaparable to Hornadys offering. Run them over the chrono. The design of the case as far as capcity and what most 30-30 are chambered in, any gain of a few fps or flatter trajectory will not be noticble by most guns/shooters.
I mean really, what has been wrong with the 150-170JSP for the last 100 or so years? Another marketing edge that makes folks think it will turn their rifle in to an 06 or 308.
Not directed at you personally, try what pleases ones self. Just don't like being told by the mfg's that I need this or it bounce off of a white tail.
Jeff

G. Blessing
07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
w30wcf,

Thanks again! that gives me a starting point.

JSH;

Not taken personaly at all! In fact I agree with you to a certain extent; If it works don't fix it. But I figure that if it exists, I might as well try it, and see if I can use it, or even improve it. I like tinkering. :)

For 90% of what the 30-30 is used for, what I use it for anyway, a 170grn cast FP is more than enough, and dead acurate at 100 yards,(my max aplicable range) I don't need higher velocity or acuracy.

My main practical aplication for the new bullets, is that pollamer tips soposedly help expansion, and that would be nice for the larger game I hunt. I ain't shootin' white tails. :) Going to shoot the same weight at the same speed, and compare what diference there is, (if any) in what the bullets do on impact.

Gary

9.3X62AL
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
GB--

I've had some experience with WW-748 in the 30-30, and I think highly of it with jacketed bullets in that application. I have run 150 grainers to chronographed 2325 FPS out of 20" barrels at "book" charge weights, and can get just short of 2200 FPS with the 170's. Those velocities match up well with the construction of most cup-and-core j-words......it's easy to get controlled expansion at impact velocities of 1700-2100 FPS with simple bullet designs--which I think is the key to the 30-30's longevity and popularity.

My own musings on the 30-30 involve a 190 grain flatpoint using the soft point casting technique "stickied" here. I would think 2000 FPS is possible in the 30-30, although I don't know if it's necessary. The 190 grain bullet lent a large hand in popularizing the now-moribund 303 Savage "back in the day", and I think the 190 grain soft point casting could do some fine work in about any 30 caliber centerfire at the 30-30 powder capacity or larger.

onceabull
07-06-2007, 03:29 PM
9.3x62AL: have you moved from musing to action on this ?? I have after much effort acq. the RCBS 180 FN mould,which multiple users have posted as their copy casting not less than 190 gr.. sounds like an approp.choice from those in stock.. What are/will you be using.?.? Right now I could set the boolits nose up in Ice/salt water mix to crimp groove ,put the container in driveway sun and have Soft nose in 30-40 minutes,I think.:roll: Onceabull

G. Blessing
07-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I haven't tried that method yet, but I have intended to. I probably should try it with the 200grainers(lee C309-200-R ) I've been casting 'n' loading. They're kinda pointed for tube feed, so after I flaten the tips, they should be around 195.(haven't flatened any yet, been shooting them one at a time, comparing to 200 grain nosler partitions)

Gary

07-07-2007, 09:46 AM
onceabull,
I have just got to ask about that procedure you mentioned above. I have never heard of such a thing. Would you please explain. Have you ever done that to a bullet and does it work? What have your results been? I love this forum. Where else could you get access to some of this stuff. I rest confidently in the postion that the only dumb question is the one unasked. (Years of experience with dumb questions) 725