PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Super Targetspot & 45-70

Tatume
12-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Hello Folks,

My CPA Stevens 44-1/2 will arrive tomorrow. It has a Baldwin rear sight and appropriate front sight, and bases for an externally adjustable scope. My scope is a 15x Lyman Super Targetspot, which has only 2" of eye relief. Have any of you used one of these (or the very similar Unertl) with a relatively light weight 45-70 (about eight pounds)? My loads are light, 350 & 400 grain cast bullets at 1400 - 1600 fps.

Thanks, Tom

Doc Highwall
12-23-2012, 11:10 PM
I have used a Unertl with full power loads in a Remington 40X chambered in 308 Winchester. I use to set the recoil spring loose and pull the scope back for each shot.

Larry Gibson
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Without the reset return spring your Targetspot will slide forward under recoil so the eye relief should not be critical. I've used my own 12X Targetspot on a 50 cal rifle w/o a muzzle brake (recoil was ferocious) and had no problems. What is critical is to reset the scope back manually for the next shot.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
56656Without the reset return spring your Targetspot will slide forward under recoil so the eye relief should not be critical. I've used my own 12X Targetspot on a 50 cal rifle w/o a muzzle brake (recoil was ferocious) and had no problems. What is critical is to reset the scope back manually for the next shot.

Larry Gibson

Horace
12-24-2012, 12:33 AM
And I thought my 1950`s model 70 varmit/22-250 RCBS 31''x 1-1/4 barreled 5 plank 18 pounder was big!

Horace

Hip's Ax
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM
You are going to love that rifle, Paul and Gail know how to make some lovely, lovely rifles. I have 2, a 45-70 and a 45-90, mine are heavy compared to yours, both around 13 pounds. I have scope blocks on both rifles but I have not gotten around to trying a scope. I have both Unertl and Lyman scopes and I fully agree with the other posters, if you have a recoil spring, back it way off and pull the scope back (and give it a light twist to one side, do this the exact same way every time) after each shot. A very time honored way of shooting a externaly adjusted scope on any center fire. The recoil springs are for rimfire use only.

Nice choice on the Baldwin sights, I have them on both my rifles. I adore them.

Doc Highwall
12-24-2012, 10:37 AM
When you pull the scope back after each shot twist it clockwise so as not to loosen the eye piece. Ask me what happens when you forget to pull the scope back and how I know.

Tatume
12-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Today I shot the rifle Gail and her father built for me. It was cold, pouring rain with a touch of snow mixed in, and the wind was blowing 20 mph and gusting to 30. I mounted my Lyman Super Targetspot scope for the first shots at 25 yards. I was astounded on three counts.

1. The felt recoil was so light it felt like I was shooting a 30-30, not a 45-70. It’s amazing how a well-designed stock mitigates recoil.

2. The scope is between 60 and 100 years old, and has been sitting in my closet for 20 years. The first shot cut the X-ring! The next three went into the same hole. I should have bought a lottery ticket.

3. I took the scope off and made a random adjustment to the rear sight, just raising it high enough that I could get my eye behind it. The shot cut the X-ring, and the next three went into the same hole, again. It’s pure luck, but I take it as a good omen.

By this time I was cold and miserable, as was my dog. So we called it quits and went home to wipe down the rifle. Next time I’ll shoot at 100 yards to finish dialing in the sights. To say I’m pleased with the 44-1/2 would be an understatement.

Hip's Ax
12-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Glad to hear it! CPA's are lovely rifles, and I'm not shocked to hear yours is a tack driver. Both of mine are and I shoot my 45-70 out to 600 yards with the irons sights and the 45-90 out to 1000 yards with the irons. If it were not for a howling gale at BOTH the mid range and long range matches when I got my required number of shots in for classification I would have made Master easy!

Hip's Ax
12-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Here is a photo of me shooting my CPA 45-90 at 1000 yards a couple of years ago, note the angle of the wind flag. :)

Tatume
12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi Folks,

Today I shot at 100 yards. First I dialed in the scope, but didn't even shoot it for group. I was too anxious to shoot the Baldwin/Lyman sights. It took me awhile to get them sighted in, because I kept turning the knobs the wrong way. Once I did and settled in for a group, I thought I was missing the paper, and started to get upset. Then I noticed the hole getting larger! Wow, what a beautiful rifle. I'm delighted.

RCE1
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
To get the best out of that rifle, you really ought to try black powder. Many of my BPCR loads have single digit extreme spreads and maintain MOA accuracy out to 500 meters.