PDA

View Full Version : Mold purchases kids 870 20g

Buttonbuck
12-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Well my Daughter will be 10 this year she small game hunts now with a stevens 410-22 and will deer hunt in the Fall 2013 youth deer season with hers for now remington 870 that is 21"smoothbore with an imp cyl choke tube. I want to cast for this gun and wondered what works well for it. I wish they allowed 00 for youth season but. My options are a Lee Roundball, or a 20 gauge lyman slug figuring the big air pellet looking sabot slug. Anyone have some loads that will not dislocate the kids shoulder. I was also looking to get a telescoping M4 type stock for the kids 20 so she could use it before they ban them. My oldest son now 20 who intends to permanently borrow my 870 in 12ga ASAP, started on this gun and it takes deer well at 25-40yd. I figure the M4 type stock is good for the kids and my wife who stands 5 ft it can stretch to fit me.

tomcat388th
12-23-2012, 09:53 AM
If you can find one the Lyman third edition shotshell book has load info on round ball. Being that your try to do a lower recoil load I'd use the ball rather than the lyman slug. I would be afraid it might tumble/keyhole and accuracy go to south. I shoot the lyman 12ga version through a rifled barrel and it does very well. When my 62 year old mother decide she wanted to deer hunt I set up her 20ga winchester pump with a red dot/ saddle mount she never could get used to a scope eye relief. She had no problem hammering deer out to 70 yds with that rig.
Love to see parents getting their kids into hunting
J

Buttonbuck
12-23-2012, 10:07 AM
so what caliber ball did you load in a trap wad?

tomcat388th
12-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Didn't mean to misslead you there mom was shooting 2 3/4 remington sluggers

I've never shot round ball but the manual shows .575 ball cast in pure lead
Here are the loads for winchester AA compression form 2 3/4 hull Lyman 3rd edition

sr 4756 25.5 grains
win 209 primer
waa20 wad with a 1/2inch 28ga fiberwad under ball
fold crimp vel 1613 pres lup 10,300

same componets but with 30.0 blue dot vel 1573 pres lup 10000

Hi skor 800x 23.5 grains
win 209 primer
fed 20s1 wad with 1/2 28ga fiber wad under ball
fold crimp vel 1637 pres lup 10800

Try and find some other info if you can to double ck the loads info. For the fiber wads Precision reloading carries a lot of the fiber and cardboard stuff.

SuperBlazingSabots
12-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Hello ButtonBuck, here is what you are looking for:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150140-VdoMemorie-Blazing-Sabot!/page5
Buy the Lee.575 RB mold from MidSouth and read my post it will help a great deal, start low and come up 1/2 at a time!
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Buttonbuck
12-25-2012, 05:22 PM
what powder did you use for the waa hulls and the winchester white wads with the 450 minie? I currently have herco I would try other powders. The round ball calls for a powder I have never herd of. Those look like they could mess up a deer or hog.

SuperBlazingSabots
12-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Hello ButtonBuck, Herco is fine and do not under estimate the power of RB, they can be very deadly if you aim for solid bones.
RB will plow through like a bulldozer if you hit solid bones!

There is a lot of good solid information in my posts so read it carefully!

Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

TRG3
12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I've had very good luck with the .690 roundball in my 12 gauge, so don't overlook the possibility of using this older style "slug" for deer hunting by using the appropriate 20 gauge load for the suggested roundball. Lee may have the mold you need. In fact, as I type this my area of Southern Illinois is experiencing 10+" of snow, a little more than we normally get at one time. I'm not sure how it will impact tomorrow's opening of the late winter doe season, but I suspect that the deer will lay low until the storm passes, then move to finding something to eat. I've got several roundballs loaded and hope to be out there at some point this weekend. At least they should be much easier to pull on the snow than on the bare ground!

Buttonbuck
12-26-2012, 10:53 PM
going to bowhunt tomorrow in orange. I have harvested deer with roundballs and yes they are devastating out of my 54 cal renegade. I will start with the roundball. I have a 62 cal muzzlelaoding rifle and smoothbore as well I really like the caliber. I shoot a 590 Jeff Tanner molded roundball out of the smoothbore and a 60 roundball lee mold out of the rifle. so many guns so little time.

Buttonbuck
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
thank you for the info. We had a good Christmass, someone gave us some scratch and win tickets and we did. I bought a Lee 575 double ball a and Lee Perfect Powder Measurer The Auto Disc came with Turret Press. I hope the LPPM works well with shotgun andpistol powder seems to have mixed results. Wondering since I have not found a copy of Lyman shotshell 3 that I can barter eggs for. I was wondering.... Does The Ballistic Products book have round ball load recommendations.? I figured I would try their Trap commander wads or whatever they recommend. As interested in getting into casting and reloading for my pistols and rifles (I really want to try 3 gun and long range with my 308) I end up using muzzle loaders and slug guns for most of my practical hunting applications. I think we need a 3 gun tournament for Deer Hunting only one shotgun, one muzzle loader and one Pistol. This could take anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 months. I got a double one year with muzzle loader and handgun the handgun harvest was a 3 legged deer. I thought the person who shot 2 minutes before I saw the wounded deer had hit her When I field dressed her I had put the only bullet through her. When I butchered I found the shoulder joint full of bird shot that had healed over. 3 years later I shot a nice buck 11pt about 125- 130 inch, I found a few pellets in my burger. Let me know what you all think about the Lyman or Ballistic Product book and the Lee Measurer Thanks For making a great site.

skeettx
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Interesting to read the testimonials

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/550055/hornady-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-250-grain-sst-sabot-slug-box-of-5#pr-header-550055

JIMinPHX
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
I had good luck loading low recoil 12 ga shells with Green Dot under a Lee slug with a pink Winchester wad in a Win Universal hull. I had better luck roll crimping, but folded shells worked too.

I believe that they also make a 20 ga version of the Lee slug mold. That might be an inexpensive option that could work for you.

My 12 ga adventures with 1oz 1,000fps slugs -
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?86712-moderate-load-data-for-Lee-slugs

Edit:
oops, sorry, the 7/8 oz slug mold from Lee is also 12 ga. I had thought it was 20. My mistake.
http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-slug-mold/

Buttonbuck
01-06-2013, 08:51 AM
I really wish they made a key drive slug in 20 gauge. My stuff from midsouth arrived yesterday so the kids should be happy with the new stock, maybe take the kids out squirrel hunting. I do not think the hornady slugs will work in the smooth bore 20 I have considered them for the marlin 512. If I cant get good groups out to 100 with cast slugs or round balls out to 75. My goal for the kid is that she can shoot good out to 50 yd. The shots for youth season October 2013 would be 40 yards or less. I have to start looking to get a good used MEC in 20 or find lee loader.

Buttonbuck
01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
hit a bit of a snag in this process. I ordered an ATI tactical stock for an 870 I believe I was lead to think that it would fit the kids 20g. Nope...Fits my 12 gauge nice. So I have to search out an adaptor and order a real deal m4 stock. Anyone have any idea of a place that sells one that will fit a 20 since most shotgun stuff is geared around the 12 g platform. I had the kids at the range yesterday and She is not handling a slugger round I thought I was going to get chewed out on that got lucky. She shot the 45acp with assistance well.