PDA

View Full Version : Remington Primers Question....

cloakndagger
12-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Perusing the local sporting goods mart, in search of primers, I happened upon a "new" item, remington primers. My usual fare, CCI, was slim, but there was a huge pile of the remington primers.. what has puzzled me is the name on each type "number 5 1/2 small pistol primers" . Usualy I get regular pistol primers, so I grabbed a pile, and much to my suprise they were $1 cheaper than my usuals.

What is the standard for remington primer nomenclature? What is the layman term for what I bought?
Are these any better/worse than CCI? Should i go back and clean the shelf a $4.25 per 100?

TJF1
12-22-2012, 08:38 PM
1 1/2 are small pistol
2 1/2 are large pistol
5 1/2 are small pistol mag.
6 1/2 are small rfle
7 1/2 are small benchrest rifle
9 1/2 are large rifle
9 1/2m are large rifle mag
terry

cloakndagger
12-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Hmm.. its interesting that they used a neumeric system... Thanks for the info :) any opinion on the ability of these primers?

starmac
12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Isn't 4.25 a hundred pretty high, it seems like they are cheaper than that here, and nothing is cheaper here. I want to say, if you buy by the hundred here they are around 3.79.

I know federals are 31 up to 34 a thousand, depending on magnum or not.

MT Gianni
12-22-2012, 11:22 PM
If you want to clean up buy 5000 on line for 1/2 that.

starmac
12-22-2012, 11:51 PM
If you want to clean up buy 5000 on line for 1/2 that.

The guberment fixed it a while back, to make sure we can't do that.

cloakndagger
12-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Lol yea, i just checked online, 5000 primers here =$164 + $30 hazmat +$12 s&h........
Anyhoo, I'm planning on going back after Christmas for a couple more boxes (and to liquidate my growing gift card booty)...

cloakndagger
12-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Whoops, forgot to address price, here (south MS) There is no competition with the big retailers, most of the mom n pops died off because of regulation or the fickleness of "boutique" hunters (you can tell them by the obviously impractical mudriding trucks and namebrand glass graphics)... the last gunsmith with a retail shop within 1hr's drive from my house died a couple months back... so, its either outrageous shipping or major retailer (if they continue carrying reloading supplies, a few have either stopped or curtailed stocking reloading supplies)

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Start comparison shopping on the internet. Watch price of primers then HAZMAT and shipping.

HAZMAT is all over the place. So many primers or powder for a fee but some will allow mixing for the same fee.

Back to school and do your homework before you hit BUY.

starmac
12-23-2012, 03:03 AM
If you are detached from the mainland, you is ascrewed though. We cant have them mailed up or trucked up, they have to come on a barge, so it has to be a beeg buy to even deal with the shipping line, and each barge can only have something like 400 pounds, which has to be divided up in lots of 100 pounds and a one lot on each corner. The guberment makes our ammo expensive. When I drive out I can legally haul quite a bit back.

Highway41
12-23-2012, 04:18 AM
I found a local reloading supply a couple of months ago about an hour from my house. When I first went in to check things out I had no intentions of making a purchase, figuring online would be my best deal. Well I ended up walking out with a Lee classic turret and about another $100 bucks worth of supplies. The owner caught me comparing prices on my phone and instead of being upset encouraged me to do so. Been back twice and spent a LITTLE each time. We became fast friends over remembrances of the large lgs store where he used to work and I shopped when I was a LEO.
Sorry, I digress.
Today some powder that I had ordered came in and he called to let me know. Told him I was sending my dad by to pick it up. He had gotten tula primers in with his delivery. I wanted to pay for 2000 over the phone but his machine makes that a pain. Told him I'd see if my dad had $ to spare, dad's on a fixed income, then I could pay dad back. The store limit due to the rush is 2000 primers per customer. When dad got there the owner asked him how many of his kids reload. Dad, still sharp told him both his sons and his grandson. Owner offered dad 8 boxes. Two each for my brother, my nephew, myself and two for dad. Dad told me a while back he still had one credit card for emergencies, so he promptly whipped it out. Then the owner said wait your on a fixed income, and promptly sold him all 8 boxes at cost bagged them up rang up the sale and helped dad back to his car.
Sorry, digressed more. Self flagelation will commence shortly. Or is it flatulation. :screwy:
Regular price is $23/1000. Nearby LGS is $40/1000. Guess who's getting all my $.

There are still good guys out there.

9.3X62AL
12-23-2012, 05:21 AM
That shop owner is worth his weight in gold. Take good care of him, 'cause he takes good care of you.

For some reason, Remington primers have always been the most difficult to find of the readily-available makes in my area (inland southern and central CA). CCI and Winchester were pretty common, Federal less so, and Rem was scarce. Rem 1-1/2 are the only primers that will operate in one of my old 32 ACP pistols due to cup "softness". There is another difference between the small rifle caps--6-1/2 are more suited to smaller-sized rifle calibers like 30 Carbine, 25-20, and 32-20, while the 7-1/2 cater to the 222/223-class case sizes. Use of the 6-1/2 primers in my 30 Carbine Blackhawk and in my 25-20/32-20 rifles have improved accuracy and ballistic consistency noticeably. In the 32-20 revolvers, I have used only Win and CCI SP primers to date, but will be comparing their results to the Rem 6-1/2s in the near future. I haven't seen a significant variance in any of the small pistol primers like that seen between the Rem 6-1/2 and other SR primers.

41 mag fan
12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I found a local reloading supply a couple of months ago about an hour from my house. When I first went in to check things out I had no intentions of making a purchase, figuring online would be my best deal. Well I ended up walking out with a Lee classic turret and about another $100 bucks worth of supplies. The owner caught me comparing prices on my phone and instead of being upset encouraged me to do so. Been back twice and spent a LITTLE each time. We became fast friends over remembrances of the large lgs store where he used to work and I shopped when I was a LEO.
Sorry, I digress.
Today some powder that I had ordered came in and he called to let me know. Told him I was sending my dad by to pick it up. He had gotten tula primers in with his delivery. I wanted to pay for 2000 over the phone but his machine makes that a pain. Told him I'd see if my dad had $ to spare, dad's on a fixed income, then I could pay dad back. The store limit due to the rush is 2000 primers per customer. When dad got there the owner asked him how many of his kids reload. Dad, still sharp told him both his sons and his grandson. Owner offered dad 8 boxes. Two each for my brother, my nephew, myself and two for dad. Dad told me a while back he still had one credit card for emergencies, so he promptly whipped it out. Then the owner said wait your on a fixed income, and promptly sold him all 8 boxes at cost bagged them up rang up the sale and helped dad back to his car.
Sorry, digressed more. Self flagelation will commence shortly. Or is it flatulation. :screwy:
Regular price is $23/1000. Nearby LGS is $40/1000. Guess who's getting all my $.

There are still good guys out there.

Whats the name of the store and does he sell over the internet?? By the story you just told, I'll throw some business his way just because of the good way he helped your dad out. Let me know either on here or thru Pm and I'll sure give him some business.