View Full Version : Range Shavings & oxidation

ChrisK
06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a bunch of range shavings that I'm going to be melting down. Several of the buckets were left outside and exposed with lots of oxidation. Will this affect the lead at all?

leftiye
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Not the part that melts. Make real sure it is dry, and heat it slowly to avoid steam explosions. Flux it with rosin, that will help reclaim some of the oxides.

44man
06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Stuff that has really gone to oxides can't be reclaimed, it is like trying to turn rust back to steel. Just accept the small loss.

ChrisK
06-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks,

Next Question. Lead Oxide does it have the same or different temperture for vaporization?

nighthunter
06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Question ..... ??? Where do you get your range shavings? Most of the folks I know either shave before going to the range or afterwards. I admit it might be possible to shave at the range but it would have to be like when someone pulls the trigger about 1/1000 of a second before you and you pull the shot. Eventually someone will pull the razer and the attorneys will be all over us.
Nighthunter

ChrisK
06-29-2007, 05:39 PM
OK, it's not true shavings. I just pull my hair out when I miss the target,

waksupi
06-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Question ..... ??? Where do you get your range shavings? Most of the folks I know either shave before going to the range or afterwards. I admit it might be possible to shave at the range but it would have to be like when someone pulls the trigger about 1/1000 of a second before you and you pull the shot. Eventually someone will pull the razer and the attorneys will be all over us.
Nighthunter

OK, something must be wrong with my computer. The post says Nighthunter, but I'm sure this reply MUST be from Carpetman.

Testing. Testing. Testing.