PDA

View Full Version : Marlin X7

kbstenberg
12-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Where could I go to find out what it takes to change a barrel on an X7. They look like they attach to the receiver like a Savage.
Kevin

richhodg66
12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Seems like there's a fella on here who did just that and built a very nice .35 Whelen on one.

Seems like Marlin copied the Savage rifles closely, that barrel nut and the accu trigger look almost like patent infringements to me, but I hear they are good shooters.

Three44s
12-23-2012, 12:01 PM
The barrel screws right into a Marlin.

You do want to make sure you don't have a false headspace on the extractor however.

I've done Savages but not my Marlin however. But it's said that on rifles that the breech end of a Savage barrel that touch the front face of the extractor, you would likely need to have a Smith face off a few thousands (10-15) so your cases are supported.

But I have also heard of barrels that did not need facing off.

Again, I have not done a Marlin yet, I am like the OP and have been asking questions.

Off the top of my head, you would need to screw your intended barrel into your receiver and make a light mark to note what point the barrel bumps your extractor. Then put in your gauge and note if there is a difference.

If the barrel stops sooner with the gauge, you are stopping on it's shoulder and that's the way you want it. However, if there is no change as in the barrel stopping at the same location as it did with no gauge (Ie. it's stopping on the bolt face/extractor) then things are not right.

If you would locate some lay out die and put some on your extractor that could tell you something as well ..... as in die transfering to your breech face or not.

Don't take my word ......... keep asking questions ........ I'm not a smith but rather a tinkerer.

Three 44s

Blammer
12-23-2012, 06:48 PM
the same barrel nut wrench that you use on a savage will work on the Marlin. :)

Blammer
12-23-2012, 06:48 PM
richhodge66, it's not patent infringment if it's all owned by the same company. :)

richhodg66
12-23-2012, 09:55 PM
richhodge66, it's not patent infringment if it's all owned by the same company. :)

Yeah, hard to tell who's who anymore.

I like the Savage 110s I've owned. I like the idea of easily interchangeable barrels too. I'm a Winchester Model 70 fan where bolt guns are concerned, but honestly, it seems stupid to buy anything new besides a Savage anymore.

Three44s
12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I think if I had to pick but one platform when it comes to bolt guns, it would likely be the Remington 700.

But I like the Savages more and more and would advocate having one or more even if to only use as a demonstration platform. Find a caliber you can't live without and then get a Remy in that.

But I find myself using a Savage on a daily basis more and more.

Three 44s

starmac
12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I have an idea that savages patent timed out. Didn't ruger basically copy it too?