PDA

View Full Version : Rear J.W. Fecker mount for Leatherwood scope.

littlejack
12-22-2012, 05:42 PM
I bought a Fecker rear scope mount a few weeks ago, to mount on my Uberti 1885 Hiwall.
I got around to mounting it on the rifle a few days ago. I had to do some honing on the base to fit the dovetail on the mount, but everything came out very nice and the fit is good and snug.
The Fecker is very good quality, and very much a far superior mount than the Leatherwood mount that came with the scope. The Fecker is bright aluminum, and looks "salt & pepper" with the black front Leatherwood mount.
I haven't had a chance to shoot the rifle yet, with the new/used mount. The rifle probably did not need it, but I will only know if it shoots better after a few range sessions.
Has anyone done this mount swap with there cheap mount and had any kind of better accuracy after doing so.
Any comments appreciated.
Jack

bigted
12-24-2012, 01:13 AM
jack...would that 'fecker' mount compare with the unertl rear mount? photo would be cool. have you mounted a slip system on the scope to eliminate the beating of the rear dovetail?

i know...questions questions questions...just curious is all as im playin with my old marlin with those dovetail mounts and wonder about these things.

littlejack
12-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Hey Ted:
The Fecker and the Unertl, are basically the same mount with a different name. I'm not sure when John Fecker started his optical/scope business in the US. He was producing scopes in the early 1920's though.
He employed a fellow named John Unertl (you may have heard of him) who, started his own business in 1934.
I did not change the front mount, as the scope needs to have the raised ridge for that mount to keep the scope and x hairs plumb and verticle.
Jack

Jon K
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Ditto...Ditto...Change the front mount, unless you're shooting a 22 Hornet , or smaller.

Jon