PDA

View Full Version : gas checks and lube

redriverhunter
12-22-2012, 02:59 PM
i have be pan lubing for a Lyman 312440 and i have noticed that once i get them lubed and then put on the gas check and ran through the lee sizer that there is no lube in between the gas check and boolit. should i be concerned. thanks rrh

44man
12-22-2012, 03:25 PM
No. But you don't want lube under the gas check either. Best to put the check on before lubing. It should be a good snug fit and withstand pan lubing.

redriverhunter
12-22-2012, 03:33 PM
thanks for the reply i will put the gas checks on before pan lubing in the future. that may also put a bit of lube between the gas check and the driving band thanks again

runfiverun
12-22-2012, 10:11 PM
you don't need all that lube.

williamwaco
12-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I believe you are obsessing over the lube.
The normal lube rings hold plenty of lube.
Don't worry about it.

In some cases, some people deliberately do not fill all the lube rings.
I personally do not do that but if you have lube in two lube rings that is plenty.

I cannot find a mold number with 312440 from Lyman.
Did you mean 311440?

If so, please review this link.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/The%20311440.pdf

Note that in this link the bullet has lube in the space between the gas check and the next driving band.

If you apply the gas check before pan lubing it will be difficult to avoid filling this space with lube.

If however you do not get lube in this space, don't worry about it. Two lube rings are plenty.

You MUST seat the gas check before lubing the bullet. If you get lube between the gas check and the bullet shank, the lube might cause, or allow the check to come off.

This mold also has a crimp ring. Do not lube the crimp ring. It won't hurt anything but it will make a mess in your seating die and will not help the bullet.

happy shooting.