PDA

View Full Version : Picked this up yesterday

12-22-2012, 10:56 AM
.44 mag not a New Vaquero. Hasn't had the best home, a little rust and some holster wear. But it should be a good shooter. Whats the difference between the Vaquero and the New Vaquero.

44man
12-22-2012, 11:31 AM
The new one is smaller like a Colt and should not use heavy loads. The old one will stand BH loads.

Jim
12-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Years ago, I had one in .45 Colt. You're gonna love that pistol.

12-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I took it out today, I can't get to my regular shootin spot because of the snow. Shot some 44 sp loads in it and noticed how slick the grips are right away. But it was fun and looks like it should shoot pretty well. Shot some Lee 310s with 15.7 of 2400. First shot I thought "well that's not so bad". Then the second I thought "well it's not so good either". She's a little snappy with the stiff loads but I knew it would be. I like it.

KYCaster
12-23-2012, 12:03 AM
She's a little snappy with the stiff loads but I knew it would be. I like it.

You guys who shoot stiff loads in single actions certainly have my respect. :drinks:

A cylinder full of those 310/15.7/2400 loads and I'd be cryin' like a little girl!

I like single actions, but they don't like me.

Jerry

cbrick
12-23-2012, 09:15 AM
You guys who shoot stiff loads in single actions certainly have my respect. :drinks:

A cylinder full of those 310/15.7/2400 loads and I'd be cryin' like a little girl!

Jerry

You need only to change the grips. I can't shoot the Ruger or FA with stout loads either with those tiny grips on them. Put on a set of Pachmeyer's and the difference is night & day.

Rick

44man
12-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I need Pachmeyer grips for recoil because of my knuckle and trigger guards. I shoot hunting loads, accuracy loads all year. I hate the wood panels or anything slippery.
The best way to shoot wood panels is with your little finger under the grip and a tight hold to prevent roll. NEVER let a SA "roll." Let the gun raise your arms. The trigger guard can still get you. Then I have seen guys get the trigger finger cut, I can't figure how????
Get rid of pain and the SA is very easy to shoot and is super accurate and I love the hog leg best. The Bisley will ruin my knuckle. Some love them but not me.
Some love beautiful grips to show the gun, I like fugly rubber!

cbrick
12-23-2012, 10:11 AM
I love beautiful grips, nothing like a great looking piece of lumber on a single action.

However, when the single action is in my hand there is nothing quite as beautiful as those down right ugly rubber grips. :mrgreen:

Rick

Thumbcocker
12-23-2012, 01:08 PM
I put hogues on any sa that is not a Bisley. Otherwise I can't maintain a consistent grip.

KYCaster
12-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I love beautiful grips, nothing like a great looking piece of lumber on a single action.

However, when the single action is in my hand there is nothing quite as beautiful as those down right ugly rubber grips. :mrgreen:

Rick

I agree completely, but I just can't bring myself to put ugly grips on a SA....It just ain't right.

So my SA's get light loads that are comfortable to shoot. I have a SRH and other DA's for the heavy loads.

Jerry

cbrick
12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree completely, but I just can't bring myself to put ugly grips on a SA....It just ain't right. Jerry

Jerry, put the ugly on to shoot and the wood back on to look at it. It's only 1 screw. :mrgreen:

Rick

wrench man
12-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Looks just like mine, never sent any boolits that heavy down the barrel, I shoot mostly the 240grn Gold Dot/Deepcurl bullets with a charge of 21grns of 2400, the slick "plow handle" grips let it roll in the palm of your hand![smilie=1:

drklynoon
12-24-2012, 09:11 PM
That is a beautiful piece. I'm almost jealous.

KYCaster
12-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Jerry, put the ugly on to shoot and the wood back on to look at it. It's only 1 screw. :mrgreen:

Rick

According to the crowd I shoot with, you have your priorities wrong.

A typical post-stage critique will go something like this.........

Expert Peanut Gallery Critic......"You shoot like ****!"

Me............"Yeah, but I look good doin' it!"

:violin:

Jerry

timspawn
12-24-2012, 09:18 PM
The new one is smaller like a Colt and should not use heavy loads. The old one will stand BH loads.

Not to hijack, but is there a way to tell by serial number?

John Boy
12-24-2012, 10:20 PM
For those that like Vaquero's: old model 45 Colt SS Birdshead with thin gunfighter Corian grips, now with 20 point checkering. Limited 4 5/8" production of 2000 in 2000. Close to 12,00 black powder rounds shot, smooth as silk and needing no replacement parts

12-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Not to hijack, but is there a way to tell by serial number?
I think the new Vaquero is marked NEW Vaquero on the frame where mine just says Vaquero.

Dan Cash
12-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Jerry

Jerry,
You just have to tuck your middle finger knuckle out of the way and hang on. let it rip and slip. I am not big into heavy load single actions, a SAA .45 is enough for me but a .44 Mag Smith gets my attention. Merry Christmas from North Dakota

Jack Stanley
12-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Since I can't seem to shoot single actions worth a hoot I'd tend to agree with the "may as well look good" ideology . The last single action I had I put a set of Nylon monogrips on it and I shot much better with that . But then I was only shooting those puny little two hundred fifty grain slugs at nine hundred feet per second or so .

Jack

larryp
12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
And in reality Jack that's all most people really need anyway in terms of power. My Colt .44 special is usually shot with a 240 gr slug at about 850-900fps. Occaisionally the Skeeter Skelton load of 7.5 gr Unique behind a 240-250 gr for 950 fps will be shot but not that often anymore.

Jack Stanley
12-25-2012, 11:27 PM
For me you are so right Larry . For the skinny little deer I typically see around here my revolver and mid range loads in the model twenty-nine would be just fine . For stuff that bites and outweighs my truck I probably would look to the heavier stuff too . My hat is off to the man that can handle that stuff .

Jack

44man
12-26-2012, 10:01 AM
NO, NO, NO, no slip allowed even with those tiny loads. PLEASE dump the "roll" stuff in the hand. It does you no good at all. The hog leg was NOT designed to "roll". You do nothing but change barrel rise with each shot.

cbrick
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Hhmmm . . . Slippin, sliding & twisting in the hand with tiny good lookin grips and lookin good doin it.

Ok but a question is gawning at me . . . When does actually hitting the target come into the equation?

Rick

Moonie
12-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I am so glad to hear all of this. I recently got a NMBH with the idea of shooting heavy loads in it almost exclusively. I found I couldn't handle them with the stock black panels, the issue was my middle finger knuckle. Way too much pain. I put on a Hogue and it works perfectly, no more pain, much more controllable. They are ugly from an aesthetics perspective but I've always been more of the guns are a tool perspective. The ugly Hogue will stay.

27judge
12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
i put a set of hogues on a 44 super blackhawk and a super blackhawk hunter wow what a difference . i had them on the hunter first and it was the first thing i did to the super blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel was change the grips big difference i can hang on to both guns a lot better tks ken

Jack Stanley
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
People I've gone shooting with have all kinds of names for the black nylon Hogues I like so well . Ugly , hard , nasty , icky black things but what the put on their guns usually amounts to icky sticky soft and black then they are happy , go figure . Most of then can't shoot all that well anyway but the few that can ... I just find that amazing . Hitting the target is what most of this is about but , you do get points for have the most beautiful grips .

Jack